Thread: Names of boats?

Tamara

Default Names of boats?

Hello,

I have a 3ggrandfather who was a waterman. I cannot find him on the 1841 census although I can find his wife. Are there any records available as to what boat he may have worked on, or are there census records for those who were on the boats at the time the census was taken? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Warm regards from ice cold Canada! (-25 C today..brrrr)

Tamara

Mutley

Where are we looking?
    The company of Watermen and Lightermen have some records for those that worked on the Thames.
    I don't know about the rest of the country.

Parish Chest sells several useful items including
    My Ancestors were Thames Watermen
    by James W. Legon is a unique guide to tracing your Thames watermen and lightermen ancestors.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara
    Are there any records available as to what boat he may have worked on, or are there census records for those who were on the boats at the time the census was taken?
    If your chap was on an inland boat at the time of a census, there's a good chance you'll find him on the vessel.

If he appears in an individual schedule with just the crew on a single page, then look at the previous page in the census and you may find the name of the craft, tonnage, use/type of craft, home port, where the vessel was on the night of the census and where the census schedule was delivered.

Tamara

I don't know if he was on an inland boat or not. The 1851 census stated that he was a waterman and because I cannot find him anywhere on the 1841 census, I assumed he would be on a boat somewhere. My family is from Worcester. Are there census records for crews somewhere? How do I go about finding out what boat he was on (if he actually was on one). I am a little confused as to how to go about looking for this information.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post

Tamara

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara
    I don't know if he was on an inland boat or not. The 1851 census stated that he was a waterman
    Who is the chap you are looking for? How old was he in 1851 and where was he born? Also where was he a waterman in 1851?

Are there census records for crews somewhere? How do I go about finding out what boat he was on (if he actually was on one). I am a little confused as to how to go about looking for this information.
    Complete census returns for England and Wales are available on many pay-per-view sites - it is a case of searching them - the quality of indexing varies from one site to another. The problem with the 1841 census is that the information recorded is less detailed, making it harder to identify individuals. Being the first census to record individual people, some itinerent workers were missed so it may just be that he won't be found in 1841.

Tamara

I am looking for Richard Kitchen. He was born in Rock Worcester in 1785 and he was living in Worcester/Kidderminster/Lower Mitton on the 1851 census and did so right up until his death. I found his wife Jane on the 1841 census, but there is no sign of Richard anywhere. Unfortunately, I don't know where he was a waterman. I have a subscription to all the census records, and I have been able to find everybody that I have been looking for, but I cannot find Richard. On the 1851 census the Kitchen name is spelled Kitchener, and I did try different spellings for the 1841 census, but I have had no luck. Maybe Richard will be my first brick wall

Thank you so much!

Tamara

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    I am looking for Richard Kitchen. He was born in Rock Worcester in 1785 and he was living in Worcester/Kidderminster/Lower Mitton on the 1851 census and did so right up until his death.
    Coming from this area he would have worked on either the Severn, Avon or the canal system. If he owned his boat, it may have been inherited and possibly passed on. Did he leave a will?

There were many small transport vessels on these waterways and finding details of them is difficult.

Anyone replying to this thread, please be aware that a related thread can be found on the KITCHEN family.