Kath H

Default ARMITT Harold and Gertrude

I hope I'm not being greedy - I'm just delighted to find this very helpful place!

My great-aunt, Gertrude Flavell 1893-1969, married Fred Lindley on 24/4/1915.

I knew Gertie, and that her second husband was Harold Armitt. I can't find out if Fred died or if they were divorced, or when she married Harold or what happened to him. Gertie and Harold adopted Roy - the story goes that they found him sitting on his suitcase during the Blitz, having lost his entire family.

Harold registered the death of one of Gertie's sisters in 1934 - at least, I assume A Armitt is him.

So Fred and Harold become more mysteries.

I've searched Free BMD and Genes Reunited, I'm not just being lazy. I'm just trying to get a complete picture of these eleven children, including Gertie and my grandmother Grace. Much of what I have found so far completely contradicts long-accepted family myths.

Tell me to shut up if I'm too demanding for a newbie

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Kath H
    My great-aunt, Gertrude Flavell 1893-1969, married Fred Lindley on 24/4/1915. I knew Gertie, and that her second husband was Harold Armitt. I can't find out if Fred died
    As a possiblity - The Soldiers who died in the Great War Database has a Fred LINDLEY, a Sergeant in the York and Lancaster Regiment who was born in Mapplewell, Yorks and died 1917.

or if they were divorced
    For divorces, search TNA's catalogue
    In the word or phrase field enter a surname
    In the year range, resitrct this to 1915 -1938
    In the department or series code, enter - J77

I've searched Free BMD and Genes Reunited
    You'll need to search the full GRO index.

I'm not just being lazy. I'm just trying to get a complete picture of these eleven children, including Gertie and my grandmother Grace.
    Did your grandmother's dad leave a will - they often provide lots of interesting information and may mention Gertrude by one of her married names.

Much of what I have found so far completely contradicts long-accepted family myths.
    This can be very useful - it's an important lesson not to accept blindly what you are told by family.......keep you mind open to possibilities.

Tell me to shut up if I'm too demanding for a newbie
    Everyone started somewhere and at sometime

Kath H

Thanks for all that - I will follow up

One useful source has been that my cousin, who still lives in the Manchester area, went and found gravestones, then obtained records from the cemetery of exactly who was in which grave. Further oddities emerged, such as one gravestone being headed by the name of one of the sisters, not the parents who died earlier and are in the same grave. One grave had 7 occupants, not the theoretical maximum six, and we tracked down the 'extra' baby. She also found the family home, a small terrace house for this huge family - boarded up but still standing, while the rest of the street has been demolished.

It's all fascinating!

Kath H

The Soldiers who died in the Great War Database has a Fred LINDLEY, a Sergeant in the York and Lancaster Regiment who was born in Mapplewell, Yorks and died 1917.
    And can I find out his age? I know his age when he married. Sorry to be a bit helpless, I'm not too clued up on how to find things out - I'm sure you can tell.

Geoffers

His age is recorded as unknown on the CWGC web-site and no age is given in the 'Soldiers died' database. Ages are not included in the Military deaths index.

On the plus side, a birthplace is given - can you find him on the 1911 census index using name and birthplace?.......or if not, then the 1901 census.