Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    olliepolly

Red face looking for info on Gatts / Mckay from crovie

Hi I'm hoping someone can help me with this, I have lot of connections with the Watts from crovie, amongst then is Barbara Gatt 1850-1929 who married James Watt 1851-1948 Barbars parents were James Gatt & Jane Mckay (pennan) after this I have nothing and it is so frustraing because I have gone back loads on the other side of the family. If anyone can help it would be great.
    olliepolly
    x

Is this them in Pennan in 1851? James presumably out with the fishing boats.
    Jean/Jane pretty interchangeable in Scotland

Parish: Aberdour; ED: 1; Page: 5; Line: 11

Jean GATT 27 Fisherman's wife born Fordyce, Banffshire
    William 8 b Aberdour, Aberdeenshire
    James 5 b Aberdour
    Marg't 3 b Aberdour
    Barbara 1 b Aberdour
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

olliepolly

Thumbs up

it is possible that's the one's, thank you so much for looking. I have a feeling Im never going to be off here now.
    olliepolly

olliepolly

Sue I notice your from wales, I also have a dead end with a person from wales, probably due to the name 'Williams' !! Im sure you know all about the williams family !! only joking. i will have to put that on another thread somewhere.
    olliepolly
    x

olliepolly

hi, here again, just realised its the family before that one that i'm having trouble finding i.e. james parents and jane/jeans parents?.
    olliepolly
    x

The IGI has the marriage of James GATT to Jean McKAY in Aberdour on 28 September 1842. This predates civil registration in Scotland, but you can download a copy of the parish register entry from Scotlandspeople.

It seems likely that James GATT came from the numerous GATT clan living in Pennan. Looking at the 1841 census (I can only get the indexes on Ancestry but the full versions are available on Scotlandspeople) there were several GATT families around, and you need to be careful because another James GATT married a Helen PIRIE just a couple of weeks before in the same parish.

If I were you I would join the Aberdeen and NE Scotland FHS
    Sue Mackay

olliepolly

There are so many with same name up there it is very confusing!!!
    what is the Aberdeen and NE Scotland FHS able to do? sorry I'm quite new to this. Thank you for your help.
    Olliepolly
    x

Quote Originally Posted by olliepolly View Post
    There are so many with same name up there it is very confusing!!!
    what is the Aberdeen and NE Scotland FHS able to do? sorry I'm quite new to this. Thank you for your help.
    Olliepolly
    x
    Family history societies usually publish a journal for their members where you can publish details of your quest for free, and they have lots of members who live locally and have access to the local parish records who may be able to help you sort out who was who. The Aberdeen Society also has a research centre in Aberdeen which I believe does research for members on request. Details are on the website I gave you.
    Sue Mackay

olliepolly

thank you so much for your help. it is appreciated.
    ollypolly
    x

Melbourne Aust. ~ a drop kick away from the Essendon Airport - 9 miles out of Melbourne

Default Looking for info on Gatts /

I always thought that GATT was a Maltese or Italian surname.

www.
    searchmalta.com/surnames/gatt/index.shtml

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast