Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ash33au

Default Lookup Please :-)

I'm looking for a Margaret McFie/McPhie born in Ayrshire, most likely Dalmellington or surrounding area. Parents were James McFie and Ann Fyfe.

Thankyou

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

Hi Ash, would you like to suggest a date of this event?
    ChristineR

Knowledgeable and helpful

There are these on the IGI

Margaret Fyfe McFie born 24th May 1840 in Largs, Ayr, Scotland
    Ann McFie born on 10th March 1833 in Largs, Ayr, Scotland - parents
    and a Mary McFie born 28th February 1830 in Cumbraes, Bute, Scotland
    All born to a James McFie and Ann Fyfe

I know your mind is elswhere at them moment but it may help if you posted exactly what you are looking to find.

Good luck !
    Chasing Caseys

ash33au

Sorry folks. All I had was John born 1833 in Dalmellington, Ayrshire... so it was obviously somewhere around then.

Deano

Hello Ash,

John McFie, son of James McFie, and Ann Fyfe, was born abt 1837. Largs, Ayr.

The family stayed in Fairlie Village, Largs, at least 1841. up till 1861.

Regards,
    Jonn.

ash33au

Thanks Deano, you've alerted me to the fact that what had been researched fact had in actual fact been an incorrect trail, meaning my McPhee line now stops at John Donald, born 1833 allegedly in Dalmellington, Ayrshire, Scotland.

JustJean

Just trying to get a lead on which McPhee you're chasing.....

By any chance is this the John that you think was born in Dalmellington??

1851 Census
    Parish Number: 586
    Civil Parish: Dalmellington
    County: Ayrshire
    Address: Silleg Hole

John McPhee
    Born abt 1833
    Relationship to head: Servant
    Where born: Scotland

Best wishes
    Jean

ash33au

That looks to be him.

He married Agnes Smith in 1854 in Dalmellington and they travelled to South Australia in 1857. When Agnes passed away in 1877, John married her niece Robina in 1878, had a bunch of kids before eventually dying in Tasmania in 1900.

JustJean

Wow....tough call here. The 1851 census has his place of birth as only "Scotland". All others on the page are either "Ayr something" or a couple are "Ireland" but no other ways of naming areas are used. I looked ahead a couple of pages and there was one entry "Dumfries something" so at least I suspect the enumerator did list both county and parish if the data was given to him. That brings us back to the simple entry of just "Scotland". Did John provide the info and just not know where he was born? Did John's employer provide the info and just not know where John was born? Either way you're left with a wide open country to search for him in which totally stinks!!!!

How about children that John and Agnes had....any clues from a naming pattern? ANy interesting middle names? Oh yeah the fact that you state John had a middle name of Donald is somewhat interesting. Did they use the name Donald for any of their children implying it had importance?

Best wishes
    Jean

JustJean

One other bit....the Margaret that you were originally searching for.....you know for a fact he had a sister named Margaret??????

Best wishes
    Jean

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast