Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    harfin

Default Church of Ireland Clergy

Does anyone have access to a list of Church of Ireland clergy circa 1830's ?

I have a Robert Hamilton that I'm trying to trace who was a Clerk in Holy Orders.

I have reasonably comprehensive details regarding his son Francis who was born in mid 1835 in Navan, County Meath and subsequent family, but finding his father is a trial!

On An.....y I found a Rev. Archibald Robert Hamilton who was married in Co. Cork but that was nearly 20 years earlier than Francis' birth, so probably not him.

I've looked on the C.of E. clergy database but that appears to not include Ireland.

Thanks
    Alan

sharonburn67

Hi - I'm new here and I am wondering if we are looking for the same person?

I recently found some old documents relating to my ggg grandfather Dr Francis Dancey Hamilton born in 1835 in Co Meath. In a letter he mentions his father Rev Robert PD Hamilton and on Francis' marriage cert his father is a 'Clerk in Orders'. I have a death date for Robert and some letters and info on some Hamilton family land in County Monaghan but after that I'm stuck. The whole Irish connection is drawing a blank.

Did you ever find out about Robert Hamilton and do you think it's the same person?

Hollytree

Hi

I have in the past looked for Church of Ireland clergy, and this library may help in locating records for you, https://ireland.anglican.org/

Good luck

Anne

harfin

Quote Originally Posted by sharonburn67 View Post
    Hi - I'm new here and I am wondering if we are looking for the same person? I recently found some old documents relating to my ggg grandfather Dr Francis Dancey Hamilton born in 1835 in Co Meath. In a letter he mentions his father Rev Robert PD Hamilton and on Francis' marriage cert his father is a 'Clerk in Orders'. I have a death date for Robert and some letters and info on some Hamilton family land in County Monaghan but after that I'm stuck. The whole Irish connection is drawing a blank. Did you ever find out about Robert Hamilton and do you think it's the same person?
    Hi Sharon

Yes I reasonably we are! My connection is actually via my brother Derek whose wife is a Hamilton.

I found some details regarding the Hamilton clergymen via the Church of Ireland archives in Dublin. From that and following some other contacts we now have a pretty good (and substantiated) line from her father (Robert Frances Dancey HAMILTON (1908-1989) back to 1772.

The Francis Dancey HAMILTON you mention is I am fairly confident, my sister-in-law's Great Grandfather, i.e.
    Frances HART (nee HAMILTON) - my sister-in-law
    Robert Francis Dancey HAMILTON (1908 - 1989)
    Robert Pocrich Dancey HAMILTON (1873 - 1951)
    Dr. Francis Dancey HAMILTION (app 1837 - 1903)
    Rev. Robert Pocrich Dancey HAMILTON (app.1807 - 1870)
    Rev. Francis Dancey HAMILTION (app 1772 - 1832)
    Whilst digging for this detail, another interesting connection popped out of the brickwork regarding the last mentioned F.D. HAMILTON's wife (Martha BARRY) whose lineage we think is pretty sound back to (Baron?) Peter METGE (1665 - 1735)

As to location, most of the records regarding the early HAMILTON and METGE families revolve around the town / village of Athlumney in Co. Meath in Eire. The wife of Peter METGE though is reportedly from one of the Scottish STRATHMORE family although whether this is THE important LYON family (later to become BOWES-LYON) is still very conjectural.

No doubt my brother Derek and wife Frances would I am sure like to make contact with you direct, and to that end I am also sending you a PM giving my email address should be of the same mind.

Kind regards
    Alan

sharonburn67

Wow, thankyou very much Alan. That follows what I know and then adds some more - fantastic!

And thanks Anne - the site looks very promising.

I'm glad I asked!!

harfin

Default Hamiltons

Hello again Sharon

If you would like copies of the full data and documents Frances (my s-i-l) holds, I'm sure she would be happy to oblige, and Frances would be most interested to sight any data and document copies you may hold.

Kind regards
    Alan

sharonburn67

That would be great - I've sent an e-mail which you can forward on if necessary.
    Let me know if you receive it

MindfulRoz

Quote Originally Posted by harfin View Post
    Hi Sharon

Yes I reasonably we are! My connection is actually via my brother Derek whose wife is a Hamilton.

I found some details regarding the Hamilton clergymen via the Church of Ireland archives in Dublin. From that and following some other contacts we now have a pretty good (and substantiated) line from her father (Robert Frances Dancey HAMILTON (1908-1989) back to 1772.

The Francis Dancey HAMILTON you mention is I am fairly confident, my sister-in-law's Great Grandfather, i.e.
    Frances HART (nee HAMILTON) - my sister-in-law
    Robert Francis Dancey HAMILTON (1908 - 1989)
    Robert Pocrich Dancey HAMILTON (1873 - 1951)
    Dr. Francis Dancey HAMILTION (app 1837 - 1903)
    Rev. Robert Pocrich Dancey HAMILTON (app.1807 - 1870)
    Rev. Francis Dancey HAMILTION (app 1772 - 1832)
    Whilst digging for this detail, another interesting connection popped out of the brickwork regarding the last mentioned F.D. HAMILTON's wife (Martha BARRY) whose lineage we think is pretty sound back to (Baron?) Peter METGE (1665 - 1735)

As to location, most of the records regarding the early HAMILTON and METGE families revolve around the town / village of Athlumney in Co. Meath in Eire. The wife of Peter METGE though is reportedly from one of the Scottish STRATHMORE family although whether this is THE important LYON family (later to become BOWES-LYON) is still very conjectural.

No doubt my brother Derek and wife Frances would I am sure like to make contact with you direct, and to that end I am also sending you a PM giving my email address should be of the same mind.

Kind regards
    Alan
    Hi I'm new here, but I have a little more on the Dancey Hamilton which I can post when I've found where I filed the details!
    Basically I'm interested in the Dancey line in Meath/Monaghan in late 17 & early 18 centuries; a Mary Dancey married Robert Hamilton (who was a surveyor & in the customs/excise service) in about 1758. Mary was a cousin of Pockrich Dancey (P's father was Francis Dancey). I'm especially interested in any other children of Mary & Robert, as the naming may indicate who mary's father was.
    My GG grandfather (born about 1810 in Co Cavan) was named Pockridge Dancey & so must somehow be related to the earlier Pockrich Dancey

I also have a bit on the Metge & Barry families as the earlier Danceys & Pockrich Dancey had married into these families

Any help you can give about the Hamiltons/Dancey Hamiltons would be really great
    thanks

MindfulRoz

Quote Originally Posted by sharonburn67 View Post
    Hi - I'm new here and I am wondering if we are looking for the same person?

I recently found some old documents relating to my ggg grandfather Dr Francis Dancey Hamilton born in 1835 in Co Meath. In a letter he mentions his father Rev Robert PD Hamilton and on Francis' marriage cert his father is a 'Clerk in Orders'. I have a death date for Robert and some letters and info on some Hamilton family land in County Monaghan but after that I'm stuck. The whole Irish connection is drawing a blank.

Did you ever find out about Robert Hamilton and do you think it's the same person?
    Hi Sharon
    I'm new here, but I have a little more on the Dancey Hamilton which I can post when I've found where I filed the details!
    Basically I'm interested in the Dancey line in Meath/Monaghan in late 17 & early 18 centuries; a Mary Dancey married Robert Hamilton (who was a surveyor & in the customs/excise service) in about 1758. Mary was a cousin of Pockrich Dancey (P's father was Francis Dancey). I'm especially interested in any other children of Mary & Robert, as the naming may indicate who mary's father was.
    My GG grandfather (born about 1810 in Co Cavan) was named Pockridge Dancey & so must somehow be related to the earlier Pockrich Dancey

I also have a bit on the Metge & Barry families as the earlier Danceys & Pockrich Dancey had married into these families

Any help you can give about the Hamiltons/Dancey Hamiltons would be really great, especially about land they had in Monaghan
    thanks
    Roz

harfin

HTML Code:
    Hi I'm new here, but I have a little more on the Dancey Hamilton which I can post when I've found where I filed the details!
    Basically I'm interested in the Dancey line in Meath/Monaghan in late 17 & early 18 centuries; a Mary Dancey married Robert Hamilton (who was a surveyor & in the customs/excise service) in about 1758. Mary was a cousin of Pockrich Dancey (P's father was Francis Dancey). I'm especially interested in any other children of Mary & Robert, as the naming may indicate who mary's father was. My GG grandfather (born about 1810 in Co Cavan) was named Pockridge Dancey & so must somehow be related to the earlier Pockrich Dancey I also have a bit on the Metge & Barry families as the earlier Danceys & Pockrich Dancey had married into these families  Any help you can give about the Hamiltons/Dancey Hamiltons would be really great
    thanks

Hello Roz!
    Sharon and my sister-in-law Frances are already in touch and are exchanging details, and the hazy past is starting to clear!

Your GG Grandfather who you describe as "(born about 1810 in Co Cavan) was named Pockridge Dancey" sounds like Frances's GG Grandfather, i.e. Robert Pochrich Dancey HAMILTON, born about 1807 at Navan, Co. Meath, Ireland who died Mar 29, 1870 also at Navan, Co. Meath, Ireland. He was married to Ellen PALMER and they had three children as far as we have ascertained to date, namely Francis Dancey HAMILTON (b1837), Peter Metge HAMILTON, and Edward Palmer HAMILTON (b1838).

The aforesaid gentleman (namely R.P.D. HAMILTON) was the son of Francis Dancey HAMILTON (born about 1772 in Ireland) who died Jun 11, 1832 at Navan, Co. Meath, Ireland and was married to Mary BARRY (the daughter of the Rev. Richard BARRY and Mary METGE). They had as far as we know, eight children including Francis Edward Palmer HAMILTON (Sharon's ancestor).

We have quite a good detailed tree of the METGE family and some knowledge of Mary BARRY's family.

I'll send you a Private Message with my email details shortly.

Kind regards
    Alan

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast