Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    tron

Hi Alan
    Got an e mail from Roz on foot of her seeing my post to you so she's getting back to me. seems like my William and her Pockrige Dancey were brothers born around 1810 ish and she has the parents names so thats pretty cool!!
    Thanks again for your help, very much appreciated. the .odf document didn't open for me tho, wondering if it wa spossible to send in word doc. ??
    king regards
    Robert

MindfulRoz

Hi
    I can't remember if I contacted you before -I don't visit here often.
    I'm interested in what yo can share about the Hamilton Land in Co Monaghan - places/townlands/dates/names. Part of my wider Dancey/Dancy family were from Co Meath, Co Monaghan & Co Cavan & 1 (Mary Dancey) in 1758 married into the Hamilton Family (to Robert Hamilton, Exise Officer of Navan. So any info that might help tie up my little bit later prosperous tenanted farmers in Monaghan would be really useful
    Could you leaveme a private message?
    Thanks
    Roz

MindfulRoz

Hi
    I've just found a site run by the Navan Historical Society that has some interesting snippets about 18/19 century Navan generally & some references to Rev Francis Dancey Hamilton (who was apparently the deputy to the Portreeve) & was instrumental in some of the scams of the time in terms of things like enclosures, & the overall way of running towns that was prevalent in Ireland & England. It adds some flesh to genealogy! go to
    www.
    navanhistory.ie/
    Roz

Suzibloom

Default Further information on Baron Peter Metge

Hello..I am a descendent off the Baron...I have an extensive file of the family tree ... I am stuck on finding that The Baron married when his first wife Sophia died, a name Elaenor Archdecon? I am baffled...not sure if you can help...I have contacted St Mary's in Navan where he is buried?
    Regards
    Suzanne
    Quote Originally Posted by harfin View Post
    Hello

The METGE origins are pretty well documented and according to the sources my family have seen and consulted, the Reverend Francis Dancey HAMILTON (1772 to 1832) married Martha BARRY around 1805.

Martha BARRY was the daughter of the Reverend Richard BARRY (1743 to 1795) and Mary METGE.

Mary METGE (1742 to ?) was one of eleven children born to Peter METGE (1700 to 1774) and Ann (and / or Jane) LYON (1715 to 1805)

The aforesaid Peter METGE was one of five children born to Baron Peter METGE (1665 to 1735) and Joyce HATCH (1675 to 1735)

Most of the above data can be sighted in Burkes Landed Gentry of Ireland, various annual editions have more or less the same data.

Alan

sleuthjan

I have an ancestor who was a clergyman in the Church of Ireland. I don't have link handy (where I was able to view some pages online at one time) but the book is entitled "The Clergy of the Church of Ireland, 1000-2000, Messengers, Watchmen and Stewards." If you do an internet search, you will see the book for sale. If I find link I saw before, I will post. This book helped me learn more about my great-grandfather and even mentioned his wife and her father's name. Good luck with your search!

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello Alan! My name is Seán Dolan-Osborne. Dr Francis Dancy-Hamilton is my g-g-great grandfather on my father's side.
    I'm intrigued if you have any further information about this family.
    Jet

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello! Dr Francis Dancy-Hamilton is my g-g-great grandfather on my father's side.
    I note your a Cavan man! I'm from Scotland but my mother's side are Cavan! Duffys McCabes & Markeys!

harfin

Default Francis (Dancey) Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Seán FDO View Post
    Hello Alan! My name is Seán Dolan-Osborne. Dr Francis Dancy-Hamilton is my g-g-great grandfather on my father's side.
    I'm intrigued if you have any further information about this family.
    Jet
    Hi Sean,

It's actually my sister-in-law who is the descendant of the Hamilton's, but I do have some basic data about them.

The names Francis, Dancey and Pochridge appear throughout many generations of this 'Hamilton' family, and without dates, I am unsure which individual is your ggg-grandfather. There is one born in 1837 with just the specific names you refer to, who married a Harriet Brooks in 1857 and who passed away in 1903. Is that your ancestor?

If you can give me the dates of your chap, I will pass your enquiry onto my sister-in-law for her to respond direct; alas they're internet access is only through me.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Alan

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Hello!

Yes, that's the one. On some records his date of birth is between 1835-37 - I haven't actually seen his birth cert. A distant cousin of mine mention that the Hamiltons may be related to the Queen Mother's family - I'd never live that one down 😉

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello! My g-g-great grandfather on my paternal side was Dr. Francis Dancy Hamilton, born 1835-37.
    Coincidently, my mother's family have strong Cavan roots! I'm quite intrigued with the Dancy name. I note you mentioned a first name of Porich, which to me is the phonetic pronunciation of 'Patrick' spelt in Irish - Padraig - Given that the Hamiltons are clearly of Protestant planter stock I wonder if the Dancys have can be traced back to native stock?! I'm born & raised in Scotland by the way!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast