Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Marie1

I'm another first-timer so I hope this reply gets to the right place. I am a descendent of Baron Metge. According to my research he was a grandson of a Huegenot immigrant to Ireland, also called Peter, who settled in Athlumney. The Mary Metge who married Rev Richard Barry was, I understand, a sister of the Baron. I would be delighted if anyone could confirm this.
    Marie

harfin

Quote Originally Posted by Marie1 View Post
    I'm another first-timer so I hope this reply gets to the right place. I am a descendent of Baron Metge. According to my research he was a grandson of a Huegenot immigrant to Ireland, also called Peter, who settled in Athlumney. The Mary Metge who married Rev Richard Barry was, I understand, a sister of the Baron. I would be delighted if anyone could confirm this.
    Marie
    Hello

The METGE origins are pretty well documented and according to the sources my family have seen and consulted, the Reverend Francis Dancey HAMILTON (1772 to 1832) married Martha BARRY around 1805.

Martha BARRY was the daughter of the Reverend Richard BARRY (1743 to 1795) and Mary METGE.

Mary METGE (1742 to ?) was one of eleven children born to Peter METGE (1700 to 1774) and Ann (and / or Jane) LYON (1715 to 1805)

The aforesaid Peter METGE was one of five children born to Baron Peter METGE (1665 to 1735) and Joyce HATCH (1675 to 1735)

Most of the above data can be sighted in Burkes Landed Gentry of Ireland, various annual editions have more or less the same data.

Alan

Marie1

Quote Originally Posted by harfin View Post
    Hello

The METGE origins are pretty well documented and according to the sources my family have seen and consulted, the Reverend Francis Dancey HAMILTON (1772 to 1832) married Martha BARRY around 1805.

Martha BARRY was the daughter of the Reverend Richard BARRY (1743 to 1795) and Mary METGE.

Mary METGE (1742 to ?) was one of eleven children born to Peter METGE (1700 to 1774) and Ann (and / or Jane) LYON (1715 to 1805)

The aforesaid Peter METGE was one of five children born to Baron Peter METGE (1665 to 1735) and Joyce HATCH (1675 to 1735)

Most of the above data can be sighted in Burkes Landed Gentry of Ireland, various annual editions have more or less the same data.

Alan
    Many thanks and apologies for late reply. One point. According to my records Peter Metge (1665-1735)from France did not have a title. His grandson Peter (1744-1803/9), son of Peter (1700-1774), so Mary's nephew, was made a baron of the Exchequer in 1784 by Act of Parliament. The Baron is my main interest, especially his second wife widow Archdeacon
    Marie

harfin

Quote Originally Posted by Marie1 View Post
    Many thanks and apologies for late reply. One point. According to my records Peter Metge (1665-1735)from France did not have a title. His grandson Peter (1744-1803/9), son of Peter (1700-1774), so Mary's nephew, was made a baron of the Exchequer in 1784 by Act of Parliament. The Baron is my main interest, especially his second wife widow Archdeacon
    Marie
    Yes you are correct.
    Have seen the lineage of the Metge family in Burkes Landed Gentry of Ireland?
    There is a hand-written Metge family tree in existence that attempts to link the various branches (in several countries) together. I have seen it but my sister-in-law, Frances, has it.
    Frances' main interest is from the first Peter whose daughter (Mary) married Rev. Richard Barry and their daughter Martha who married Francis Dancey Hamilton.

Kind regards
    Alan

pgsessions

Default Metge Family Tree

Hello,
    I'm new at this so bear with me. As I was googling Peter Metge last night, I came across a query about Peter and his wife Marie Archdeacon. If this was your query, I have some info that would be very helpful to you. Also I am interested in your Metge family tree. My maiden name is Metge and I have done quite a bit of research on this line.

Patricia Sessions

harfin

Quote Originally Posted by pgsessions View Post
    Hello, I'm new at this so bear with me. As I was googling Peter Metge last night, I came across a query about Peter and his wife Marie Archdeacon. If this was your query, I have some info that would be very helpful to you. Also I am interested in your Metge family tree. My maiden name is Metge and I have done quite a bit of research on this line. Patricia Sessions
    Hi Patricia

Gosh it never rains but it pours! Seems that Baron Metge has a number of genealogically inclined descendants

The existence of a second wife Marie Archdeacon for the Baron is totally new to me and also to my sister-in-law Frances who is a descended from the first Peter Metge (1665 - 1735).

If you care to email me via this address alan_'at'_harfin_.co._uk
    (omit the under-scores and subsitute the @ symbol for 'at')
    I'll pass it on to Frances (she has no internet access).

Kind regards
    Alan

Marie1

Default Metge

Quote Originally Posted by pgsessions View Post
    Hello,
    I'm new at this so bear with me. As I was googling Peter Metge last night, I came across a query about Peter and his wife Marie Archdeacon. If this was your query, I have some info that would be very helpful to you. Also I am interested in your Metge family tree. My maiden name is Metge and I have done quite a bit of research on this line.

Patricia Sessions
    Just to put the record straight, the Baron's second wife was ELEANOR Archdeacon. The Marie in my last message was me signing off. The Baron and Eleanor were married some time between 1778 and 1788 ie between the death of first wife Sophia Jane Crofton in Dec 1777 and birth of Eleanor's first child by the Baron, James Metge (Rev), born 1789/90, my GGG grandfather.

Marie

tron

Hi Alan
    My name is Robert Francis Dancey and I was born in Co. Cavan in Ireland. My brother has done some extensive work on our family tree in which I should have taken more interest!!! but I do recognise the name of Pocrich Dancey. The Hamilton bit I think is new though. I was named after my Grandfather Francis and I think his father was Francis too.I'll get in touch with Marcus and see just how far back he has managed to go
    Chat soon
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by harfin View Post
    Hi Sharon

Yes I reasonably we are! My connection is actually via my brother Derek whose wife is a Hamilton.

I found some details regarding the Hamilton clergymen via the Church of Ireland archives in Dublin. From that and following some other contacts we now have a pretty good (and substantiated) line from her father (Robert Frances Dancey HAMILTON (1908-1989) back to 1772.

The Francis Dancey HAMILTON you mention is I am fairly confident, my sister-in-law's Great Grandfather, i.e.
    Frances HART (nee HAMILTON) - my sister-in-law
    Robert Francis Dancey HAMILTON (1908 - 1989)
    Robert Pocrich Dancey HAMILTON (1873 - 1951)
    Dr. Francis Dancey HAMILTION (app 1837 - 1903)
    Rev. Robert Pocrich Dancey HAMILTON (app.1807 - 1870)
    Rev. Francis Dancey HAMILTION (app 1772 - 1832)
    Whilst digging for this detail, another interesting connection popped out of the brickwork regarding the last mentioned F.D. HAMILTON's wife (Martha BARRY) whose lineage we think is pretty sound back to (Baron?) Peter METGE (1665 - 1735)

As to location, most of the records regarding the early HAMILTON and METGE families revolve around the town / village of Athlumney in Co. Meath in Eire. The wife of Peter METGE though is reportedly from one of the Scottish STRATHMORE family although whether this is THE important LYON family (later to become BOWES-LYON) is still very conjectural.

No doubt my brother Derek and wife Frances would I am sure like to make contact with you direct, and to that end I am also sending you a PM giving my email address should be of the same mind.

Kind regards
    Alan

tron

Hi Alan
    Having talked to my brother Marcus he has told me that he has gone back to a William Dancey who married an Elizebeth ? He died in 1876 and had children among whom are Francis and Isabella. This Francis married a Jane Mc Neill and had 9 children (Elizebeth, James, David, William, Richard, Isebella,Mary Jane, Francis (my grand father) and Ester Ann. This Francis (grandfather) Born 1831, married 1857 married an Margaret Adeline Orr and had my father David George Dancey Born 1928 and then there's me!!. Any tie in would be great as my brother has hit a bit of a brick wall in this line.
    Kind regards. Robert

harfin

Quote Originally Posted by tron View Post
    Hi Alan
    Having talked to my brother Marcus he has told me that he has gone back to a William Dancey who married an Elizebeth ? He died in 1876 and had children among whom are Francis and Isabella. This Francis married a Jane Mc Neill and had 9 children (Elizebeth, James, David, William, Richard, Isebella,Mary Jane, Francis (my grand father) and Ester Ann. This Francis (grandfather) Born 1831, married 1857 married an Margaret Adeline Orr and had my father David George Dancey Born 1928 and then there's me!!. Any tie in would be great as my brother has hit a bit of a brick wall in this line.
    Kind regards. Robert
    Hello Robert

Did you read the earlier posting on this thread from Roz? It included:

Basically I'm interested in the Dancey line in Meath/Monaghan in late 17 & early 18 centuries; a Mary Dancey married Robert Hamilton (who was a surveyor & in the customs/excise service) in about 1758. Mary was a cousin of Pockrich Dancey (P's father was Francis Dancey). I'm especially interested in any other children of Mary & Robert, as the naming may indicate who mary's father was.
    My GG grandfather (born about 1810 in Co Cavan) was named Pockridge Dancey & so must somehow be related to the earlier Pockrich Dancey

Thus far I have not identified exactly who the Mary Dancey was who married Robert Hamilton in the late 1700's / early 1800's or too much more that specific Robert Hamilton.

I will by PM send my standard email address, as I have some notes that may assist you.

Kind regards
    Alan

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast