GizmoMischief

Default Alvin Edwin SOPER

Hi, I'm brand new to this forum but have had a browse which turned out to be very informative. I'm impressed with the level of knowledge of members and have no doubt that I'll be able to get some much needed help with my ancestor Alwin Edwin SOPER b 26.10.1898.

He served in WW1 and I've found his medal card, I have heaps of questions but the first one relates to whether I've deciphered his card correctly. He is listed as serving first in the Army Service Corps, moved to the Devon regiment and then to the Machine Gun Corps. My first query is what's given as his rank - I assumed it's "private" but on a second look it seems more like DvT. On the transcript of the card from TNA they've got it down as "driver" - is that a possibility without actually stating his rank? He was awarded the Victory and British medals, which I understand means he served overseas although the date of entry and theatre in which he served were not stated. I also think this means he usually went overseas during 1916 or later? The roll number for both medals is MGC/101B113 page 9419 -does this mean he served in the 101st machine gun company, or is that just coincidence? He also received the Silver War Badge - the reference says SWBListMGC/1120. I'm assuming that means he was still in the Machine Gun Company when he got the Silver War Badge. Would looking at the medal roll give me much more information than this?

I don't have anyone around now who can give me definitive answers, but the story goes that he was underage when he enlisted - my aunt said he was 15, this would probably mean he enlisted in 1914. It's also family lore that he served in France then Egypt, was gassed in France and then contracted malaria which I think must have happened in Egypt and was probably the reason he got the Silver Wr Badge (if I'm wrong about any of this, please feel free to jump in!) I have a couple of photos, none of him in full uniform, one I've been told is of him in France but what he's wearing looks nothing like an army uniform, it looks more like a labourer's outfit, in the other he's obviously in a desert somewhere but again he's not wearing full uniform, he's just in a singlet and helmet - hte singlet looks like it's got a cross on the front and the helmet is similar to a pith helmet, but it's a bit hard to tell. I have to say the two indigenous people in the background are dressed more like they're Indian than Egyptian, they're both wearing turbans.

Is there much more I'm likely to find out based on what I've got to work with, and if he came back with malaria would he have gone into a rehab hospital in the UK before finally getting home? I'm wondering if it's worth engaging a private researcher given my distance from Kew (about 12,000 miles!)

Any clarification gratefully accepted.

Fran

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

On the transcript of the card from TNA they've got it down as "driver" - is that a possibility without actually stating his rank?
    A Driver is a Rank.
    ChristineR

neil1821

Quote Originally Posted by GizmoMischief View Post
    He is listed as serving first in the Army Service Corps, moved to the Devon regiment and then to the Machine Gun Corps. My first query is what's given as his rank - I assumed it's "private" but on a second look it seems more like DvT. On the transcript of the card from TNA they've got it down as "driver" - is that a possibility without actually stating his rank?
    Hi Fran,

Driver IS his rank in the Army Service Corps. It's a perfectly standard rank in the ASC, the Royal Artillery and the Engineers (all units that have to drive heavy gear around). It's equivalent to a private (bottom of the pile!)

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

Wikipedia says that the Silver War badge was first authorised in September 1916. It was for people who had become ill or injured during the war and were discharged - it was worn with civilian clothing to show people that they had a reason not to be at the front. So he would have got that when discharged.

Since he did not qualify for the Star medal he had not fought in the 1914-1915 campaigns, so it seems unlikely that he joined aged 14, but still would be under age at 16 or 17.

By the way! Welcome to Brit-Gen forums.
    ChristineR

GizmoMischief

Thanks for those replies guys, that clears things up a bit and just points up my ignorance of things military! I was wondering if he could have joined the army at 15 (ie at the beginning of the war) and served in England prior to going overseas with the Machine Gun Corps?

Norman ( eng )

Hi fran
    Just a quick reply as it's 01.00 am here in England ! My mum is Joyce who was Alvin Sopers daughter . I know that it's more complicated but we'll leave it at that ! Found this site by accident after having a quick look for some Soper details . Would be very interested in passing on the photos to my Mum . Must go now as you will appreciate .
    Bye
    Norm

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Norm,

it's been a LONG time since I was on this site for various reasons. good to hear from you! I know what you mean about Aunt Joyce's relationship with my grandfather being complicated although I'm sure I don't have the full story. Can we connect privately to discuss war records/information and that relationship further?