Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mickawinn

Default Railway Accidents

I have a relative that was involved in an accident in 1901 around the Tring area. Is there anywhere on line where I might find more info?

Jan1954

Have you checked the Railway Archives? They have a searchable database for accidents.

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Jan1954 View Post
    Have you checked the Railway Archives? They have a searchable database for accidents.
    I don't see anything there for Tring in 1901, but the impression I have is that that database still has a long way to go to completion -- only one of the two I'm interested in is there, and that has less info than I have myself.

The Victorian magazine "English Mechanic and World of Science & Art", carried reports of some railway accidents, but I don't know where to find a copy apart from Colindale.

Knowledgeable and helpful

The Railway Magazine has been around since the late 1800s. You could contact them railwaymagazine.co.uk either to ask if they have a record of this accident in their 1901 editions, or asking if they'll publish a letter asking for info. No doubt one of their readers will be able to help you?

Elwyn
    Last edited by Jan1954; 02-02-2009 at 7:42 PM. Reason: Commercial link removed

Reputation beyond repute

You're likely to find what you want at the National Archives. I seem to recall that departmental class 'RAIL' is the one to look in. have a look at the catalogue and the research guides.

Geoffers

Try The National Archives.

Have a look at this research guide - Railways: An Overview
    and scroll down to paragraph 8

Accidents: Inspecting officers' reports and parlimentary returns for 1901 are in RAIL1053/90

Davidsw

I found one of my relatives who had an accident on the railway on the black sheep index
    blacksheepindex.co.uk
    Last edited by Jan1954; 06-02-2009 at 8:07 PM. Reason: Comercial link removed

mickawinn

I found an entry on the blacksheep index and it turns out that the accident was in 1907 at Tinsley and that he was a guard with the GCR. However I haven't been able to find anything on the archive sites.

Reputation beyond repute

I take it that's definitely the right one. Tinsley seems a long way from Tring.

In any case, my advice would be to follow up the advice given by Geoffers.

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by mickawinn
    I found an entry on the blacksheep index and it turns out that the accident was in 1907 at Tinsley and that he was a guard with the GCR. However I haven't been able to find anything on the archive sites.
    Which Tinsley?

Inspecting Officers' reports for 1907 are in RAIL1053/96

Note that this is just a catalogue reference - you cannot see the reports online. Have a read of the research guide.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast