podj

Default FRETTSOME-Church Army

Does anyone know if there is any kind of record of Church Army members? My Grandfather was a Captain in the Church Army and was wondering if I could find any more information about him?
    He was also a Lay Preacher I believe
    Last edited by podj; 29-01-2009 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Forgot something

Astoria

Would that be the Salvation Army?

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Would that be the Salvation Army?
    Not if he really was in the Church Army, which is an organisation within the Church of England. Its website introduces itself as: "We are a mission agency within the Anglican Church - founded in 1882 by Wilson Carlile."

The Salvation Army is an independent Free Church denomination, like Baptist, Congregational, Methodist, etc.

It will be necessary to work out exactly which is meant, which can be difficult with oral family tradition. Both CA and SA officers wear uniforms, and a picture with insignia might solve it. The use of the term "Lay Preacher" adds to the conundrum, since AFAIK it is not used in either C of E (where it's "Lay Reader") or of SA officers, but is used in other Free Churches.

Church Army officers don't seem to be listed in recent Crockfords'.

Sorry if I've raised more questions than I've answered.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Have a Google on Church Army Online. this is the History page of one site that came up.

https://www.churcharmy.org.uk/pub/abo.../125photos.asp

Email: Heritage AT salvationarmy DOT org DOT uk
    if you think it was this one.
    Last edited by Procat; 30-01-2009 at 1:28 AM. Reason: Email address edited against spammers
    Happy Families
    Wendy
    Count your Blessings, they'll all add up in the end.

podj

it was definitely the Church Army

pegi

I know it's a couple of years since you asked this, but I have only just found this site and registered. My Father was also a Captain in the Church Army and like most Captains a Lay Reader, we lived at Castle St, in Fleet, Hampshire, I remember as a child a Capt Frettsome living next door to us, I wonder if this was your Grandfather, I'm afraid I know very little about him, but my Father and Mother used to pop in to see him quite regularly. There is a web site for the Church Army and if you contact them they may be able to help.

Captainsean

Hi there
    I do the archives for Church Army and have the lists of officers and sisters who have served us over the years. contact me on [email protected]