Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Famous for offering help & advice

Hi

If the Admission and Discharge Registers of the South Wing are at the hospital itself, I could perhaps contact the Historian of the hospital. I have met her and been to the hospital twice now so if I did contact her, this might answer the query as to whether the wing was already up and running before its official opening in March 1885 as my ancestor died at the St Pancras Workhouse in January 1885.

Ben

marianne Faull

Hi,
    I have found a lot of information in the Times Digital Archive website, and also The 19th Century Newspapers which (from Australia) we can search through NSW State Library or National Library ACT.
    good luck
    Marienne

Hi Marienne

Do you need a password for those sites?

Ben

Procat

Hi Ben,

Yes and a subscription.

But, try your local library. I am able to log on from home via my local library.

Quote Originally Posted by Procat View Post
    Hi Ben,

Yes and a subscription.

But, try your local library. I am able to log on from home via my local library.
    Hi Procat

I shall try that. This may answer my query as to the Cooks Terrace block which opened in 1885.

Ben

marianne Faull

Hi all,
    Some records from St Pancras Workhouse are on line at Ancestry.com; dates vary at present. the creed lists are in alpha order & give good info.
    I access the Newspaper sites at NSW State library & NLa with my readers card, no subscription is required.
    good luck
    Marienne

cotswold mike

I don't know whether the old workhouse building still stands but it certainly did in the late 1940s. As I child I could never understand why my mother could never pass the spot without a shudder!

searchfamilies

My mum was born at 4 Kings Rd Pancras 1911 & as she was born a month after the census & this given as the address i had seen the census & found out this was the workhouse but my Nan only went there to give birth i believe as in 1909 she had twins who born alive died after 2 hours so even if born in the workhouse it doesn't mean that the person lived in the workhouse as someone who had nowhere else to go
    hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Pollyvent View Post
    Hi all

I have looked all over the place to see if i can find out about my great great grandmothers time in St Pancras workhouse.

I have my Great Grandmothers birth cert and she was born in St pancaras workhouse on may 6 1871 Her mothers name was Catherine Kelly and my G grandmothers name was Ellen father not named. I wondered whether she just went in the workhouse to give birth. Does anybody know how i can find out.
    regards

Pauline

Knowledgeable and helpful

Default St Pancras Workhouse

Hi Pauline
    I was interested in your post as my great grandmother went into St Pancras workhouse around that time and had a baby there. The baby died after two months. My great grandmother was admitted in 1877, she was admitted because her husband had been sent to prison for a week for striking her and one of her children. I went to The London Metropolitan Archives and was able to find out a bit more, things that weren't online. My great grandmother was from an Irish family that lived around St Pancras, they were tailors. Who did your grandmother mother (Ellen) marry?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12