Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Pollyvent

Default St Pancras workhouse

Hi all

I have looked all over the place to see if i can find out about my great great grandmothers time in St Pancras workhouse.

I have my Great Grandmothers birth cert and she was born in St pancaras workhouse on may 6 1871 Her mothers name was Catherine Kelly and my G grandmothers name was Ellen father not named. I wondered whether she just went in the workhouse to give birth. Does anybody know how i can find out.
    regards

Pauline

AnnB

I would suggest you visit Peter Higginbotham's excellent workhouse site at workhouses.org.uk Put St Pancras Workhouse in the search thingy and in the list which comes up, choose the second one - there is a lot of background info there

The records are held at the London Metropolitan Archives.

Best wishes
    Ann

Colin Moretti

Hello Pauline

St Pancras records are held at the London Metropolitan Archives and you can read more about the workhouse, including details of the surviving records, here:
    workhouses.org.uk

Colin

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi Pollyvent

Good news. I have been researching my ancestor who died at St Pancras Workhouse in 1885 and the records survive for the time period that you are interested as I have looked through them myself.

Ben

Pollyvent

Thanks Ann, Colin and Ben for your kind replies.It looks as though I will have to visit the London Met archives for which i will have to make a trip to London. I found a record of the 1881 census i wonder why they chose to only publish one cencus record?

Pauline

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by Pollyvent
    I found a record of the 1881 census i wonder why they chose to only publish one cencus record?

The FFHS transcript of the 1881 census was completed some years ago.

Since then several pay-per-view web-sites have made the census returns available and each has their own indices and transcripts of the censuses as well as providing images of the enumerators' books (or actual schedules for the 1911 census).

Reputation beyond repute

I think this has to be the South Infirmary*. Is that right?

If so I think you'll find that the admission and discharge register covering 1871 is at St Pancras Hospital, not at the LMA.

*"St Pancras' Hospital originated in St Pancras' Workhouse which was situated at no. 4 Kings Road, immediately to the north of St Pancras Old Church and St Pancras Churchyard. (Kings Road was renamed St Pancras Way in 1937). In c. 1884-1886 a separate infirmary block was built on a site adjoining the workhouse to the South-West, fronting on Cooks Terrace (renamed Pancras Road in 1872). This was known as St Pancras South Infirmary to distinguish it from St Pancras North Infirmary, built in the late 1860's, and situated on Highgate Hill. The North Infirmary was also known as Highgate Infirmary, later Highgate Hospital, and is now the Highgate Wing of the Whittington Hospital. The South Infirmary became St Pancras Hospital."

MikeBos

Default Staff at St. Pancras Infirmery, Highgate

I have read the previous postings with interest (and also a similar string from 2004) but am unable to identify how I may find an answer to my quest.

My grand aunt Elizabeth Alice Bosworth was trained as a nurse at St. Pancras Infirmery, Highgate, N - apparently between 1901 at age 22 and the 1911 census. She appears as a Coal Agent's Clerk in 1901 yet as an officer (Sick Nurse) at Braintree Union Workhouse in 1911. She is mentioned in The British Journal of Nursing for 10 Jan 1914 as being appointed as a Ladies Relief Visitor.

She seems to have had a rapid career - the full citation is:
    Holborn Union, London.- Miss Elizabeth Alice
    Bosworth has been appointed Lady Relief Visitor.
    She was trained at St. Pancras Infirmary, Highgate,
    N., and has held the positions of Queen’s Nurse,
    Assistant Charge Nurse, St. Pancras Infirmary,
    Day and Night Sister, Stgyning Union Infirmary,
    and Superintendent Nurse at the Braintree Union
    Infirmary.

Can anyone suggest where am I likely to be able to find details of her career at Highgate?

I have looked at the London Archives website but do not it user-friendly. I am not able to visit them as I live overseas - or is there something I have misunderstood?

With thanks in advance
    Mike in Denmark

Jan1954

Hello Mike - welcome to Brit-Gen,

The staff records for 1882 to 1930 appear to be held at the London Metropolitan Archives, according to TNA's Hospital Database. Unless someone from the forum is visiting and able to look the details up for you, then I believe that there is a research service available from the LMA. However, they do charge for this.

MikeBos

Default Look-up at LMA?

Hi Jan
    Many thanks for the information. I will again look at the LMA site and see if I can find my way through to the information I want. But as you wrote, if anyone out there happens to be visiting, I would be most grateful for a look-up.
    Cheers. Mike in Denmark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast