Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Narelle

Default Southern Cemetery

Hello All,
    I have just found some information for my AUGUSTUS and JOHNSTONE family members who are buried at Southern Cemetery. There seems to be more than one person buried in the graves which would make me think that they were all related as they are either AUGUSTUS or JOHNSTONE surnames.

I have one mystery grave number 2243 which contains my GGranduncle Earl Maurice AUGUSTUS buried on 31 march 1931 and two other people named Lottie CRAMPTON buried 9 March 1929 and Harry CRAMPTON buried 16 March 1929.

Is there anyone who would be able to visit the cemetery for me and find out if there is a headstone on this grave and see what is says about the CRAMPTON's? Lottie could be Earl's daughter who I have been unable to track from the age of 4. I am unsure if Harry is her husband or maybe her son. Either way March seems to be a bad month for illness in this family and both Lottie and Harry died within weeks of each other.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I live in Australia.
    Many thanks
    Narelle

Jan1954

Hello Narelle,

I have just had a look on the GRO index for Lottie's death registration. It was the March quarter of 1929, Manchester S district, volume 6d, page 426.

She was aged 38 - does this fit with your missing Lottie?

Forgot to say, Harry Crampton's death was registered in W Derby (that's in the Liverpool area) volume 8b, page 1153 and he was aged 19.
    Last edited by Jan1954; 24-01-2009 at 2:23 PM. Reason: Forgot Harry

kenuk

Hi Narelle if you ring Southern cemetry they will be able to find the information in the record book. When I visited the Southern Cemetry I was able to look in the book myself and found 2 others buried with my grandad. Good Lock
    Regards Ken

Narelle

Default Lottie and Harry Crampton

Hi Jan1954,
    Thanks for the GRO information. Lottie Crampton was 38 (b. 1891) Earl's daughter, Lottie's birth was c. December 1886. This is pretty close but not conclusive I guess. I would love to be more sure.

Harry may well have been Lottie's son aged 19. So where was Mr Crampton?

Many thanks for your help. It has filled out a bit more of the picture for me.
    Kindest regards
    Narelle
    Last edited by Narelle; 25-01-2009 at 1:47 AM. Reason: spelling error

Narelle

Default Crampton's in Southern Cemetery

Hi Kenuk,
    Thanks for the tip. I live in Australia so won't be ringing the cemetery but I will try and contact them by email.
    Kind Regards
    Narelle

Jack Richards

Hi Friends

I realise the last post herein was some time ago, but the following information may be of help and also may be worth bearing in mind for anyone with future queries about BMD involving Southern Cemetery, Barlow Moor Road, Chorlton, Manchester and three other cemeteries in the City of Manchester.

If you go to the official web site of - Manchester City Council - I am not providing the web address - it is easy to view details of persons buried in Southern Cemetery and the other 3. I mention burials, but also bapt. and m.

Type in the name of the person and a couple more details and it will find the burial plot.

It is free up to that point, but to delve deeper (pun unintended), one can click on the name of the person buried and view the details as per the register, but this is a pay per view - £12 for 4 units.

I've used burials as an example, I believe it is the same for bapts. and marr.

If I have anything wrong herein, apologies in advance.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Narelle

Hi Jack,
    Thanks for the information. I will follow up on that. I think I will definitely need to purchase the death certs for both Lottie and Harry. In the 1911 census they are living with the Fletcher family at 68 Lacy Street Stretford Lancashire.

It seems that Charlotte and the absent Mr Crampton married in c. 1907 (cannot locate marriage) and they had a daughter Ivy Augustus (middle name from birth reg) b. 1908 and Harry is her son b. 1910. It seems that someone (I'm assuming the enumerator) has added the notation "grand" next to son for Harry. Just another twist in the puzzle.

Again many thanks
    Narelle

Narelle

Hello All,
    Since my last posting I have purchased the burial register entries from Southern Cemetery for Lottie and Harry Crampton and have just received the death certificates for both of them.
    Lottie died on 6 March 1929 at the Royal Infirmary in Manchester from tuberculosis and a Kidney operation (post mortem). Her son Harry a cotton mill hand died 6 days later on 12 March 1929 after being struck by a "motor lorry" on Mascot Road. I'm not sure where Mascot Road is but his death was registered in West Derby so I am thinking that it is somewhere around there. An inquest was held into Harry's death. Can anyone suggest where I might look for a newspaper article ? I have looked at the Times Digital Newspapers but did not find any mention of the accident there.

Any suggestions greatfully accepted.
    Kind regards Narelle in Australia

Occasionally, just very occasionally, needs an umbrella!

Narelle - I tried Google maps for Mascot Road (you may already have tried this!!), without success, so it may be that it no longer exists - or may not be in the West Derby/Liverpool area after all.
    With regard to the inquest, Liverpool Central Library hold archives of local newspapers which may be useful. There is an email address on the website ([email protected]), it may be worth an email to see if they can help - although somewhere on the site, I did see mention of "research services", so it may be that they will charge!
    Barbara

Life isn't waiting for the storm to pass - it is learning to dance in the rain

Jack Richards

Hi Narelle
    I do not know Liverpool, except for visiting the two football stadiums once per season, but am aware of the location of West Derby and as Barbara has confirmed it is in Liverpool, Merseyside.

On the two death certificates and the two documents from Southern Cemetery, is there confirmation that one or both were residing in Liverpool? If not, any indication of an address/addresses in Manchester. If one died in an Road Traffic Accident in Liverpool, the body would have to be brought back to Manchester for burial.

I wonder if there is a report in the Manchester Evening News of the accident. Of course, the Coroners Enquiry would have been in Liverpool, if the fatal accident occurred there and I believe it would most certainly have been reported in the newspaper there.

Sorry, it does not take you much further but with you being in Western Australia, you may be finding it a little difficult to understand things in England (mind you nowadays most reasonable folk here are having the same problem at present!), but I digress.

Did the Superintendent Registrar at Southern Cemetery give any help re a gravestone etc. They are exceptionall helpful there and in my experience can best be described as excellent with their help.

Regards

Jack

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast