Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mariners at the Cape of Good Hope

There were many shipwrecks off the Cape of Good Hope, as well as the usual bouts of sickness, fever etc. I have been transcribing BMDs and other snippets from the South African Commercial Advertiser from original copies held at Kew (1824-1842 so far covered, but the project is ongoing) and notice a large number of death notices for seamen. If you have failed to "bury" one of your mariner ancestors during this period, have a look at https://www.eggsa.org/newspapers/, where there is a pretty good search engine.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Ken Berry

Default South African Newspaper Archives March 1917

Hi Sue,
    Its a big project to have taken on. My Grandfather was Thomas Edward Lunt 3rd Engineer on a ship S.S.Sagamore having left Boston Mass.on the 26th February 1917.The 3rd March 1917 the ship was torpedoed by U-49 and sank within 30 minutes.Three lifeboats were launched and quite a few of the Crew and Passengers managed to get into them.The 3 lifeboats tried to stay together overnight,but a big storm came up and in the morning there was only one lifeboat still around.The other 2 never to be seen again.There were 17 survivors in the lifeboat still afloat, including my grandfather.On the 12th of march a Blue Funnel Ship out of Liverpool S.S.Deucalion spotted the
    lieboat and took aboard the only 7 survivors ,including my grandfather.The Deucalion landed them at Capetown.5 of the 7 survivors had to have their feet amputated right away due to Frostbite and Gangrene.My grandfather Mum always told me that he was OK when he got home and had been feted and treated as a bit of a hero.From a web site, [email protected]
    I received a note showing that he had been operated on numerous times from 1920 to 1922,finally amputating his lower legs to just below his knee joints.My Dads Father Pa had a newspaper cutting out of a South African,Capetown Newspaper.I can remember it was about at least half a full page.Unfortunately Thomas Edwared My grandad couldn't cope and he had all the support possible from family and friends he became a Chronic Alcoholic.Pa my Dads Dad was a tugboat Captain and always quoted the newspaper cutting to me and said "He was a hero and was devastated by what had happened to the crew and the men in his lifeboat." The newspaper cutting I don't know what happened to it over the years as I was in Scotland Serving my apprenticeship and then went to sea and both grandads died while I was at sea in 1955.I was wondering if there is any way I could email A news paper or Archives that you know of as the dates are correct.There really a very long story still but that is enough of my ramblings.Thank You for bearing with me and any help would be most appreciated.Best Regards Ken Berry.

Sadly my transcriptions will have to stop at 1853 as that is when the Colonial Office stopped receiving separate copies of the SA newspapers (and hence the end of the holdings at Kew) and although there are later additions at the BL Newspaper Library at Colindale I cannot use my digital camera there to take lots of pictures and then transcribe at home.

My experience of newspapers in South Africa itself is that local libraries tend to have archives of the papers local to them, but I have not heard of an equivalent to Colindale.

So it might be best to search the BL Catalogue and identify a likely paper, then get a local researcher to look it up for you. Sadly I live in Cardiff so can't do this for you.

Click on Search the Integrated Catalogue, then Catalogue Subset Search (on blue banner), then Newspapers. Enter something like Cape Town.
    Sue Mackay

Default CO53/1 1826-1829

Now that my transcriptions from The South African Advertiser are complete (up to 1856) I have been extracting some of the obvious mariners and seamen, although the eggsa site should be checked for any I've missed or who did not identify themselves as seamen.

Below are the extracts from CO53/1 (1826-1829)

Wednesday 15 March 1826

LOSS OF THE PERSEVERANCE
    The Perseverance, Captain BEST, struck on the Whale Rock about four o’ clock on Sunday afternoon and went down in the course of the evening in about 7 fathoms water. The Passengers and Crew were saved. Capt.B. speaks in warm terms of the prompt assistance afforded by the Commandant of Robben Island, who approached the vessel within about an hour after she struck, and safely landed part of the passengers. A boat from the Buckinghamshire was also of great service in taking out whatever luggage could be come at, and the conduct of Mr. CROZIER, who had charge of the boat, was most creditable. The proper assistance was rendered by the Port Office, by the Agents to Lloyds, Messrs. NISBET & DICKSON, and by HMS Helicon, as soon as the accident was known. We decline making any remarks until after the investigation, which we understand the Agents for Lloyds will immediately institute.

Wednesday 14 June 1826

STRANDED BRIG NAUTILUS
    The undersigned is desirous of entering into a Contract with any person or persons who are willing to engage to get the Brig Nautilus off the Beach where she now lies, near the Military Hospital, and put her in a fit and complete state for sea (under inspection). She will require to be coppered and supplied with a new 12 or 13 inch hemp cable &c &c. Further particulars may be known by application at the Office of Mr. Notary CADOGAN, where tenders will be received until Thursday next at 2 o’ clock.
    W. TRIPE, Master of the Nautilus
    NB Adequate security will be required for the performance of the contract.

Wednesday 5 November 1828

DEATH
    Nov 2: Charles FAWTHORP (late Seaman) aged 45 years.

Wednesday 12 November 1828

DEATH
    Nov 6: William OATS (late seaman of the ship Glenalvon) aged 24 years.

Wednesday 24 December 1828

DEATH
    Dec 21: James WALKER, late seaman, aged 32 years.

Wednesday 18 February 1829

DEATH
    Buried on Sunday 15th inst, Mr. George NORTH, Master of the ship Emma, who died at sea on the 4th inst, aged 22 years.

Wednesday 18 March 1829

DEATH
    Buried on the 16th, George IRVING, seaman of the ship Hero, drowned in Table Bay.

Saturday 4 April 1829

DEATH
    April 1: Buried Thomas JOHNSON, boatman, aged 21 years, who was drowned in Table Bay on 23rd March.

Saturday 1 August 1829

DEATH
    John NELSON, seaman of HM Ship Chanticleer, drowned in Table Bay 27 July, aged 25 years.
    Sue Mackay

Default CO53/2 1830-1832

Wednesday 17 February 1830

LOSS OF THE LADY HOLLAND
    Information was received in town on Monday last by Messrs BORRADAILES, THOMPSON & PILLANS of the Lady Holland, Capt. SNELL, having struck on a reef of rocks on the north end of Dassen Island, at about half past 10 o’clock on Sunday night. The night was very dark, and it was blowing a strong gale of wind from the S.E. A vigilant look-out had been kept from sun-et, at which period no appearance of land could be discerned: a few minutes before the vessel struck, the man stationed in the forecastle called out “Breakers ahead!” – the helm was immediately put down, but she struck before coming round. Some time previously the lead was hove, and no bottom could be found at 120 fathoms. Capt. SNELL ordered the mainmast to be cut away; this was done, but it fell backwards on the mizenmast, and carried that away also. The boats were then got out, and the whole of the passengers and crew got safely ashore at Dassen Island, without, however, being able to secure either provisions or water. A great portion of the cargo, it is hoped, will be saved, much of it consisting of Madeira wine in casks.
    As soon as the intelligence of this unfortunate accident reached the Agents, they, with the utmost promptitude, dispatched the Constitution and Messrs. SINCLAIR’s boats &c, together with a wagon, for the purpose of relieving the passengers and crew, and of saving as much of the cargo as can be got at.
    The Falcon, sloop, the cutter George, the Port Captain’s launch, the Northwester and several other boats went off to the spot in order to afford assistance: the Agents also made a request that Government would give directions to the nearest Authorities to provide for the protection of any of the goods which may float ashore. On Capt. SNELL’s arrival in Town, further particulars will no doubt be learned.
    Dassen Island is about forty miles to the northward of Table Bay and nearly midway between the latter and Saldanha Bay. The Lady Holland sailed from London in Oct last bound to Madras and Calcutta.
    Passengers:
    Mrs. LASCELLES, Mrs. STOREY, Mrs. MAUN, Mrs. DUFF, Miss SAUNDERS, Miss LIGHTFOOT, Miss DUVAL, Miss MOLESWORTH, Miss BAILIE, Miss WARBURTON, two Misses BYRNE; Colonel DE GRAVES, Mr. LASCELLES, Madras Civil Service; Captain POULTON; Captain STOREY; Lieut. LEYCOCK; Mr. Assistant Surgeon ALLARDICE; Cadet DURAND; and Mr. GIBBON.

Saturday 24 April 1830

MARRIAGE
    In St.Andrew’s Church Cape Town Thursday April 15 by the Rev. J. Adamson DD:
    George ROBB Esq of the ship Leda to Miss Johanna Justina VAN NIEKERK.

Wednesday 29 September 1830

DEATH
    Sept 24: Henry HILDYARD, steward of the ship Lonach, aged 30 years

Wednesday 15 December 1830

DEATH
    Dec 11: Mr. Thomas GOLDSWORTHY, Master of the Brig Resolution, aged 33 years.

Wednesday 22 December 1830

DEATH
    Dec 14: Mr. David IRVIN, half pay, formerly purser of HMS Heron, aged 40 years.

Saturday 8 January 1831

MARRIAGE (by Special Licence)
    In the English Church Cape Town Monday Jan 3 by the Rev George Hough MA, Senior Colonial Chaplain:
    Henry HUTCHINSON Esq, Captain of the Lord William Bentinck, widower, to Miss Mary SCARMAN.

Wednesday 9 March 1831

CHRISTENING
    At Simon’s Town by the Rev John Frey, Chaplain of HM ship Maidstone on Sun Feb 27:
    A daughter of Mr. Charles Penrose BELLAMY, Master of HMS Maidstone, baptised Maria Louisa.

Saturday 26 March 1831

DEATH
    March 21: Mr. William JOHNSTON, Master of the bark Thorne, aged 30 years.

Saturday 9 April 1831

MARRIAGE (by special licence)
    In the English Church Cape Town Wednesday April 6 by the Rev George Hough MA, Senior Colonial Chaplain:
    Mr. John Marsden STEWARD, Master of the bark Planter, to Mrs. Lydia EASTGATE, widow of the late Mr. Wm. EASTGATE.

DEATH
    April 5: Samuel GILLHAM, seaman, aged 29 years

Saturday 6 August 1831

DEATH
    July 31: John FISHER, seaman, aged 39 years.

Saturday 1 October 1831

BIRTH Sept 23 at the Royal Observatory, the lady of the Rev John FRY, Chaplain of HM Ship Maidstone, of a son.

Wednesday 7 December 1831

DEATH
    Dec 1: A son of the Rev.J. FRY, Chaplain of HMS Maidstone, named John Charles, aged 3 months.

Saturday 14 January 1832

Mr. James LOW, Master Shipwright, begs leave to inform his friends and the public that in consequence of his long sickness he wishes to retire from business during his illness, therefore offers for sale his extensive stock of goods at very moderate prices, and intends shortly to hold a public sale of which due notice will be given.
    13 January 1832

Saturday 11 February 1832

CHRISTENING
    In the English Church Cape Town Tuesday Feb 7 by the Rev G. Hough, Senior Colonial Chaplain:
    A daughter of Captain DOUGLAS of the ship Morley, baptised Ellen.

Wednesday 15 February 1832

DEATH
    Feb 12: Andrew PATERSON, seaman, aged 43 years.

Wednesday 7 March 1832

DEATH
    March 3: William FORD, seaman, aged 40 years.

Wednesday 25 April 1832

DEATH
    April 19: John KENNEY, seaman, aged 45 years.

Wednesday 11 July 1832

DEATH
    July 9: Richard ADAMS, late seaman of the ship Triumph.
    Sue Mackay

Default CO53/3 1833-1835

Have changed the thread title slightly as these are not all deaths.

CO53/3

Saturday 11 May 1833

DEATH
    May 8: Thomas WHEELER, seaman, aged 28 years.

Saturday 18 May 1833

DEATH
    May 15: Mr. John Samuel ROGERS, seaman, aged 49 years

Saturday 8 June 1833

DEATH
    June 3: A son of Capt. T. COBERN, named John, aged 4 months

Wednesday 26 June 1833

MARRIAGE at St.Helena on the 23rd May 1833, at Longwood House, the Residence of General Charles Dallas, Governor of St.Helena, was married by Special Licence by the Rev R.P.Brooke, Captain Henry HARRIS, Commander of the Hon.Co’s ship Lowther Castle, to Miss Henrietta MONTGOMERIE, daughter of the late Captain MONTGOMERIE of HM 57th Foot and granddaughter of the late General FLETCHER of Saltoun N.B

Wednesday 18 December 1833

DEATH
    Dec 4: James DAVEY, seaman, aged 21 years

Saturday 4 January 1834

Captain FORDHAM of the American Ship Blackstone will not hold himself responsible for any debts the crew of said vessel may contract during her stay at this place.
    Table Bay, Jan 3 1834.

Wednesday 29 January 1834

DEATH
    Jan 25: Mr. Thomas GREEN, Chief Mate of the bark Hope, aged 26 years.

Wednesday 5 February 1834

DEATH
    Jan 29: William WOOD, seaman of the HCS Thames, aged 25 years.

Wednesday 19 March 1834

DEATHS
    March 12: William Henry BEALE, seaman, aged 30 years.
    March 15: John WEATHERSON, seaman, aged 28 years

Saturday 2 August 1834

MARRIAGE
    By Special Licence in the English Church Simon’s Town Wednesday July 23 by the Rev H Frazer AB, Colonial Chaplain:
    Mr. I.W. HUGHES, Master of the ship Hall, to Miss Maria Johanna MILLER.

Wednesday 22 October 1834

CHRISTENING
    On Sunday Oct 19 as above:
    A son of W.S. WILLSON Esq, Captain of the Platina, baptised Joseph Thomas Sinclair.

Wednesday 21 January 1835

MARRIED at Port Louis Mauritius on the 6th Dec last by the Rev H Bankes, Captain Henry BYRON of the bark Premier to Jane Anne, daughter of Capt.Thos. WINTER of the brig Mary & Jane.

Wednesday 11 March 1835

DEATH
    March 4: E. FISHER, seaman, from the ship Juliana, aged 40 years.

Wednesday 6 May 1835

CHRISTENING
    In St.George’s Church Cape Town by the Rev G Hough MA, Senior Colonial Chaplain:
    On Sunday May 3 as above:
    A daughter of Capt. F. CLARK of the brig Skerne, baptised Emma Frances.

Wednesday 27 May 1835

MARRIAGE (By Special Licence)
    In the English Church Rondebosch on Tuesday May 19 by the Rev G Hough MA, Sen. Colonial Chaplain:
    Capt.D. SHIRLING of The Olive Branch to Miss Ann HEYWARD.

Saturday 4 July 1835

DEATHS
    Simon’s Town:
    June 10: David WEBSTER, late carpenter HMS Coracoa, aged 38 years.
    June 11: Sillbrooke PAGE, late marine HMS Winchester, aged 22 years.
    June 15: John FRAZER, seaman HMS Rattlesnake, aged 31 years.

Wednesday 16 December 1835

MARRIAGE
    In St.George’s Church Cape Town on Saturday Dec 12 by the Rev Holt Okes DD, officiating for the Senior Colonial Chaplain:
    By Special Licence
    Mr. John DOXFORD, Chief Officer of La Belle Alliance, to Miss Julia FLISHER
    Sue Mackay

Default CO53/4 1836-1838

Saturday 26 March 1836

DEATH
    March 22: On board the ‘Fergusson’ Mr. William Henry BROWN, Midshipman, aged 16 years.

Wednesday 13 April 1836

DEATH
    April 7: Mr. Frederic HYLLER, Chief Officer of the Kerswill, aged 19 years.

Saturday 13 August 1836

Lieut. JOHNSTON RN, having been grossly insulted and assaulted by Dr. DARSEY of the ship Childe Harold, while on her passage from Bombay, and not having succeeded in procuring a friend in the first two days after his arrival here; I, feeling his situation, there being no Officer of the Squadron on the spot, on Thursday last (the third day) offered my services. I twice uged Dr. DARSEY to give Lieut. JOHNSTON the only satisfaction left in his power, after the gross manner in which he had behaved, but without success.
    H.D. COWPER, Capt. 98th Regt.

Wednesday 26 October 1836

DEATH
    Oct 20: Captain W.P. LEWIS of the U. States Sealing Schooner Amazon, aged 32 years.

Wednesday 2 November 1836

DEATH
    Oct 28: Mr. William SALISBURY, Master Mariner, aged 35 years.

Wednesday 30 November 1836

MARRIAGE
    By Special Licence
    At Wynberg on Monday the 28th Nov 1836 by the Rev Holt Okes DD, Officiating Chaplain:
    Mr. Walken Tench KERSWILL, Commander of the Brigand Lynher, to Miss Carolina Hester Martha MERCKEL

Saturday 4 February 1837

MARRIAGE
    By Special Licence
    In St.George’s Church Cape Town on Friday the 27th January by the Rev George Hough MA, Senior Colonial Chaplain:
    James FORRESTER Esq, Commander of the ship Australia, Widower, to Miss Ann PURCHESS.

Wednesday 29 March 1837

DEATH
    March 24: Mr. Robert JOHNSON, Seaman of the Layton, aged 22 years.

Wednesday 26 April 1837

DEATH
    April 22nd 1837: Robert HOFFMAN, from the Bark Lowther, aged 16 years.

Wednesday 17 May 1837

DEATH
    May 11: James JOHNSTONE, seaman, aged 26 years.

Wednesday 4 October 1837

CHRISTENING
    In St.George’s Church Cape Town on Monday the 2nd October by the Rev George Hough MA, Senior Colonial Chaplain:
    A daughter of Capt. Thomas COBERN, baptised Elizabeth Charlotte

Wednesday 8 November 1837

DEATH
    Nov 2: John SHEPHARD, late seaman of the Brig Knysna, aged 35 years.

Saturday 18 November 1837

DEATH
    Nov 16 1837: John SILVESTER, seaman from the Sir Edward Paget, Native of Africa

Wednesday 28 February 1838

DEATHS
    Feb 21 1838: Mr. William LENG, Chief Mate of the Olivia, aged 35 years.
    Feb 23: George PRESTON, Seaman of the Ship Malabar, aged 35 years.

Wednesday 28 March 1838

DEATH
    March 26: Captain Peter SANDFORD of the Brig Mary & Jane, aged 33 years.

Saturday 19 May 1838

DEATH
    May 11 1838: Mr. David COLLINS, late Chief Mate of the Brig Eliza, aged 38 years.

Saturday 18 August 1838

DEATH
    Aug 11 1838: Capt. Charles RICHARDSON of the Brig Alice, aged 32 years

Wednesday 5 September 1838

DEATH
    August 28th 1838: Robert CATCHPOLE, seaman, aged 33 years.

Wednesday 31 October 1838

DEATHS
    Oct 24th: Robert WALKER, seaman, native of North Shields.
    Oct 27th: John SMITH, seaman, aged 34 years

Saturday 24 November 1838

DEATH
    At Simon’s Town Nov 15: Joseph SMITH, seaman, HMS Melville, aged 23 years and 5 months.
    Sue Mackay

Default CO53/5 1839-1840

Saturday 2 March 1839

WRECK OF THE TRAFALGAR
    (From a Correspondent)
    The crew and passengers of the Trafalgar, with one exception, were brought safe on shore at half past 9 on Friday evening. The whole number amounted to about 60 persons, of whom 9 were cabin passengers, and 30 in the second cabin and steerage. The ship struck on the rocks at half past 11 on Thursday night and immediately had her masts cut away; she was gradually beaten towards the shore, from which, at daylight, she was not above 100 yards distant. The gentlemen residing in the neighbourhood, having been alarmed by the signals of distress, crowded to the shore shortly after the ship struck, and remained holding lights on the rocks throughout the night; expresses were forwarded to Cape Town, and boats sent to the ship, which served only to increase the distress of the sufferers, by being compelled, from the roughness of the sea, to return without arriving at the ship; a boat was at length conveyed, by land, from town, and a brave sailor named MILNE, having swam with a rope on shore, the boat was transferred between the ship and the rocks until the entire of her company were rescued. Some of the unhappy sufferers were admitted to the houses of gentlemen of the neighbourhood, among whom the Rev Mr BECK, Mr. MACKRILL &c were remarkable for their kindness and hospitality. The shore, for a mile beyond the Light-house, has since been strewed with the fragments of the cargo, and we regret to say considerable depredation and theft took place, notwithstanding the presence of the officers of the customs and of the military. The property of the cabin passengers, with two exceptions, was insured, but not more than 2 or 3 of the steerage passengers had insured their effects; several of them are altogether destitute, and the case of Mr. TROY and his large family is in the highest degree deplorable. His unhappy wife, shortly after the ship struck, received a blow from a spar of the falling mast, which terminated her existence in a few hours, nothing could exceed the misery of the dying mother, stretched in the cabin, half covered with sea water, and surrounded by her husband and naked children; it is impossible that any case can exist which calls more strongly for the assistance and commiseration of the charitable. Mr. TROY has lost £1000 in cash, and goods to an equal amount, and has, we are informed, no means of being conveyed to New South Wales, where he possesses some friends; his family consists of 9 children, of whom 2 only are old enough to afford him assistance.

Saturday 6 April 1839

DEATHS
    April 1st: Elizabeth Charlotte, daughter of Capt. Thomas COBERN, aged 2 years.
    At Wynberg
    March 15: William ATTWELL, seaman HMS Apollo, aged 34 years.

Wednesday 22 May 1839

DEATH
    At Simon’s Town:
    May 1st: John MAHONEY, seaman HMS Melville, aged 28 years and 6 months.

Saturday 21 September 1839

(From the Graham’s Town Journal, Sept 12)
    MELANCHOLY DEATH OF CAPT. COX
    Information has just been received in town of the death, by accident, of Capt. COX, late Commander of the Hope Steamer. The circumstances attending his death are most distressing. He was travelling between Cradock and Colesberg, in company with Mr. Louis NORTON of this place, when the fatal catastrophe occurred, the particulars of which are stated as follows, in a letter before us:
    “Messrs. NORTON and COX had left the wagon for the purpose of shooting, and the former having fired at some bucks, dismounted to reload his gun. Capt. COX was then close by his side. Having loaded, NORTON handed COX an orange, and was in the act of remounting his horse when the hammer of his gun caught the flap of his saddle, and it went off. COX was at this moment about four yards in front, and the ball entered his back and completely fractured the back-bone. He did not live five minutes after he received the shot. He was buried here (Cradock) on Friday last.”

Saturday 21 March 1840

MARRIAGE
    In St.George’s Church on Thursday the 19th March by the Rev Geo. Hough MA, Sen. Colonial Chaplain:
    Thomas TINLEY Esq, Commander of the Bark Two Sisters, to Miss Mary Jane DEANE.

Saturday 16 May 1840

DEATH
    May 6: William WILSON, seaman, late of the bark Sir John Falstaff, aged 26 years.

Saturday 15 August 1840

DEATH
    At Simon’s Town:
    July 11: Richard PERRYMAN, late of HMS Fantome, aged 48 years.

Saturday 19 September 1840

DEATH
    AUG 31: William CAREY, seaman, aged 28 years

Wednesday 4 November 1840

DEATHS
    Oct 30 (at sea): Mr. Henry KING, passenger by the Salsette, aged 53 years.
    Nov 2: Mr. Henry TURNBULL, Second Officer of the bark Salsette, aged 30 years.

Wednesday 11 November 1840

DEATH
    Nov 9th: Capt. John BUCHANAN of the bark Glen Huntly, aged 48 years.
    Sue Mackay

Default CO53/6 1841-1843 Part 1

Saturday 9 January 1841

DEATH
    Jan 5: William LILLISTON, seaman, late of the American brig Levant.

Wednesday 10 February 1841

DIED on the night of the 8th instant, Captain James BOYD of Greenock, aged about 48 years, late Commander of the bark Ocean Queen.
    Cape Town 9th Feb 1841
    (elsewhere same issue)
    DEATH
    Feb 8: Mr, James BOYD, late Commander of the Ocean Queen, aged 54 years.

Wednesday 28 April 1841

DEATH
    April 22: Samuel SMITH, seaman, US ship Boston, aged 30 years.

Wednesday 9 June 1841

DEATH
    June 3rd: Capt. William ASTROPE of the brig Martha, aged 55 years.

Saturday 19 June 1841

DEATH
    June 15: Capt. Absalom COLE of the bark Thomas and Joseph Crisp, aged 55 years.

Wednesday 18 August 1841

DEATH
    Aug 8th: Richard DAVY, late second mate of the Thomas Snook, aged 44 years.

Wednesday 8 September 1841

DEATHS
    Sept 5th: Mr. James N. FROOD, aged 34 years.
    Sept 5th: Mr. John R. MEREWETHER, Chief Officer of the ship Bucephalus, aged 25 years.
    Sept 5th: John DUNCAN, Boatswain’s Mate of the ship Bucephalus, aged 33 years.
    Sept 5th: Thomas LOCKYEAR, seaman of the ship Bucephalus, aged 21 years.
    Sept 5th: Henry JOHNSON, seaman of the ship Bucephalus, aged 21 years.

[Transcriber’s Note: https://www.sagenealogy.co.za/ has the following entry.
    "The Prince Rupert, RAMAGE, from London 14th April [1841], bound to New Zealand with Emigrants, ran ashore on Saturday night, in entering Table Bay. She is a total wreck. Mr MEREWETHER, the chief officer of the Bucephalus , with 3 of her crew and Mr FROOD, a passenger by the Prince Rupert were unfortunately drowned, while endeavouring to rescue some of the passengers."]

Wednesday 22 September 1841

DEATH
    Sept 15: Mrs. Hannah ADAMS, wife of Capt. James ADAMS, master mariner, aged 50 years.

Saturday 2 October 1841

(Communicated)
    On Wednesday last arrived in Table Bay the ship Hero of Malown, bound to Sydney, Christpher JACKSON commander, eleven weeks from Portsmouth, having on board the following cabin passengers; Jas. ALEXANDER Esq, wife daughter, governess and servant; T. SKINNER Esq, wife, child and servant; B. SIMMS Esq, daughter and son; Jas. THOMPSON Esq, wife and three daughters; J.W. BRITTERS Esq, surgeon; 41 intermediate and steerage passengers – one of this number is Mr. Wm. GRAHAM, a very intelligent engineer, having under his care 32 adults and children sent out by the Australian Mining Company, intended to work the coal mines at Newcastle. We are much indebted to the Captain for his nautical skill in conducting the vessel into harbour, after encountering many adverse winds and much thick weather. We have great pleasure in stating that the passengers and crew appear in good health. Great credit is due to the Medical Gentleman for his skill and attention to such as were sick, several of whom laboured under severe indisposition, but are now restored to health. And we feel great pleasure also in asserting that a more agreeable and pleasant party could not be in a cabin on board ship.

Wednesday 3 November 1841

DEATH
    October 27: Joseph Antonie DE CASTRIE, seaman, aged 37 years.

Wednesday 10 November 1841

DEATH
    Nov 1st: William DOYLE, seaman, aged 37 years.

Wednesday 17 November 1841

DEATHS
    Nov 14th: John MAWSON, seaman, aged 21 years.
    Nov 14th: James TURNER, seaman, aged 37 years.

Wednesday 19 January 1842

DEATH
    Jan 14: John HEYLEY, seaman, of the ship Repulse, aged 45 years.

Wednesday 26 January 1842

DEATH
    Jan 22nd: Capt. Robert BANKS, late of the barque Royal Albert, aged 26 years.

Wednesday 2 March 1842

CHRISTENING
    In St.George’s Church on Monday 28th February by the Rev Geo. Hough MA:
    A son of Mr. Joseph Mark HILL, master mariner, baptised Alfred Wilkinson.

DEATHS
    Feb 26: John HAYES, of the Port Office boat, aged 32 years.
    Feb 27: Thomas JOHNSON, late boatswain on board the Pluto steamer, aged 45 years.

Saturday 12 March 1842

DEATHS
    At Simon’s Town:
    Jan 7: Thomas JONES of HMS Melville, aged 28 years.
    Feb 8: Michael REARDON of HMS Grecian.
    Feb 9: Thomas TRUMBLETT of HMS Southampton.
    Feb 9: William MORRIS of HMS Southampton.
    Feb 17: James GIVERMORE of HMS Tortoise.
    March 2: Thomas Brownrigg WOOLLS Esq, late Port Captain of this Place, aged 57 years.

Wednesday 23 March 1842

DEATH
    March 17: John LENN, seaman, late of the Neptune, aged 25 years.

Wednesday 6 April 1842

DEATH
    3rd April: Harry DENNIS, seaman, aged 26 years.

Saturday 16 April 1842

DEATHS
    21st March: Samuel DREW of HMS Belle Isle, aged 42 years.
    25th March: Robert COYSH of HMS Dido, aged 19 years.

Saturday 21 May 1842

DEATH
    May 15: William LAMBERT, late seaman, aged 22 years.

Wednesday 29 June 1842

DEATH
    June 22: Charles MORPHEW, seaman, aged 35 years.

Saturday 13 August 1842

MARRIAGE
    At Rondebosch on Tuesday the 9th August by the Rev George Hough MA:
    Capt. Hugh McDONALD of the brig Pilot, to Miss Ann HOLLOWAY
    Sue Mackay

Default CO53/6 1841-1843 Part 2

Saturday 3 September 1842

The loss of life by the ruin of the Waterloo is, we learn, as follows:
    Convicts 143
    Soldiers 15
    Sailors 14
    Women 4
    Children 14
    So great a loss of life has not happened in Table Bay since the year 1799. On the 5th November of that year His Majesty’s Ship Sceptre, Captain EDWARDS, was driven on shore and, like the Waterloo, immediately went to pieces, being an accursed old hulk on her way home to be broken up. A few hours after she struck not a vestige of her was to be seen, but the fragments of the wreck scattered on the strand, in myriads of pieces, not a single plank remaining whole, nor two attached together, Captain EDWARDS, his son, ten other officers, and near 300 seamen and marines perished.

A full transcription of the loss of the Waterloo and the names of all those who died/survived can be found at https://www.british-genealogy.com/for...-Waterloo-1842

Saturday 26 November 1842

DEATH
    14 Nov: Daniel ROSS, seaman, aged 24 years.

Saturday 17 December 1842

DEATH
    At Simon’s Town:
    Nov 29: Lieut, Richard L. BRYAN, HMS Hyacinth, aged 28 years.

Wednesday 18 January 1843

DEATH
    Jan 14: Thomas JOHNSON, seaman, aged 39 years.

Wednesday 15 February 1843

DEATH
    Feb 8: Richard HOWELL, seaman, aged 41 years.

Saturday 1 April 1843

MARRIAGE
    In the Roman Catholic Church, March 27
    William MANN, captain of the St.Helena schooner, to Miss Mary Ann BYRNE

Saturday 15 April 1843

To Captain J. WYLLIE
    Bark “Mary Campbell”, Table Bay
    Cape Town, Cape of Good Hope, 14th April 1843
    Sir,
    Permit me to avail myself of the only method within my power of acknowledging with feelings of heartfelt gratitude the good offices which you have so nobly performed towards a Widow and a friendless Orphan, without, I am sure, any hope or prospect of remuneration, for your exemplary benevolence, beyond that inward approval of your own conscience, which after all will be your surest, your highest, and I trust, your long enjoyed reward.
    When my late Husband, having survived the wreck of the Transit, Captain COBURN, from this Port, on the coast of New Holland, in May last year, found his way with the Boy you have so humanely befriended to Batavia – and there, by the dispensation of Providence was removed from us, you took this lonesome and unknown child from among strangers where his father’s death left him unprotected. Under the impulse of the best feelings of humanity you took this poor boy, not only on board your vessel, not only into your own cabin, with the best attention to his comfort as a passenger, but with fatherly care you looked to his moral improvement, and you brought him here, to restore him to his widowed Mother, improved in every respect; and more particularly did you devote both time and attention to his improvement in reading and the first principle of religious duties; and for all this and more, having received him from you, you neither claim, nor expect from me, acknowledgement or reward.
    My own feelings, however, prompt me to assure you with the utmost sincerity that I will never cease to remember you with the highest esteem and respect, and with warmest wishes for your future prosperity and happiness, I have the honor to be, Sir, your greatly obliged and very obedient Servant.
    Maria ABEL, Widow with Four Children.

Wednesday 21 June 1843

DEATH
    June 13: Mr. David CADENHEAD, late Master of the schooner Apprentice, aged 45 years.

Saturday 8 July 1843

DIED on the 25th May last, at the Residence of Saul SOLOMON Esq, St.Helena, Captain G.R. DOUTHWAITE of the Barque Fairy Queen.

Wednesday 8 November 1843

DEATH
    Nov 3: Joseph WINN, late a seaman, aged 26 years.
    Sue Mackay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast