Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lock(e)s

Settling in

I know this thread hasn't been responded to since 2005 but I hope some of the posters are still around.

The Gypsy subject has become of great interest to me with my Lock line.

I am a descendant of Richard Lock b. 1600's

He is first found in the USA in 1711 in Calvert County Maryland USA.
    Recent DNA testing has proven a very good 65/67 DNA match between my Richard Lock lineage and a Henry Lock lineage of South Cerney Gloucester

Thanks to this DNA match, I believe I have now found my Richard Lock in
    Amney Crucis, Gloucester records. The Henry Lock descendant tells me he has strong hints to a Gypsy heritage in his branch of Lock's.
    Since my Lock's were in the USA by 1711, I know of no Gypsy heritage in my immigrant, at least it wasn't verbally passed down to me, but my elders may have known about it.

My branch of Lock(e)'s are in a rare DNA group called Haplo Group H, which some believe to be of Roma descent. To date, my branch of Lock(e)'s are the only Lock(e)'s to be in this rare DNA group, Haplo Group H.
    So there maybe some truth to the Gypsy heritage and our DNA maybe the the clue to that Gypsy descent. Haplo Group H has been found in living male Gypsy's today, though it is rare and not found in abundance in the general population in the world.

If you are a Lock(e) descendant, i'd love to hear from you.
    Last edited by Guest; 11-10-2007 at 3:18 PM.

Settling in

Just an update to my last post.

Henry Lock of South Cerney, Gloucester is a 65/67 DNA match to me.
    What this means is, Henry Lock and my Richard Lock were fairly closely related. I believe my Richard Lock to have been in Ampney Crucis, Gloucester.

I still do not know the kinship between Henry Lock and Richard Lock, but DNA testing is clear, they did share a common male ancestor.

Donships

Default Hello Lockroots

I have a South Cerney link in my Locke's family tree which is on Genes Reunited. I've recently had some correspondence about South Cerney from a contact of Janie so it is all the same clan. Janie and I are related to the siblings Zebulin, Somerset and the celebrated Esmeralda Lock.
    Don
    Last edited by Guest; 11-10-2007 at 3:18 PM.

janieg

Hi Lockeroots,
    As Don explained we are related to two of "The Locke brothers" we have a huge amount of data in our trees on Genes reunited and you would be welcome to view mine if you joined, we are by no means the only Locke relations on there.

becca

Hi

Just wondering if any of you can help me out with Buz/John/Leonard Lock. He was the son of Matthew and Membrance b 1812, shropshire.

I believe he married Caroline Loveridge and/or Mary Ann Ryles. I can find a marriage in 1847 to Caroline in Bridgnorth, but not to Mary Ann Ryles.

I have been told that they had children named, Arthur, Selina, Charles, Elizabeth, Ezekiel, George and Unity. I have found most of their baptisms (no births) but not one for Elizabeth, who I believe is my g g grandmother.

Elizabeth Lock married/lived with a Charles Huggins and used the names Lock then Ryles on her children's birth certificates.

I am trying to find a date for Elizabeth's birth, or any proof that she was Buz's daughter. I can't find Buz on any census either, despite using all sorts of allias'!

Hope this is worded ok, am newbie! Any help whatsoever will be appreciated!

Becca.

jayne33

Lightbulb locke family

hi my name is jayne my mom is a locke her grandad was enock which is your matildas brother.i think did she marry a man called sidney morris from dog lane in bewdley.they lived in blueball cottages in cookley.my grandad george was enocks son.i have a photo of matildas sister harriet.if you have any information for me. i may be able to help you. if these are the right people
    kind regards jayne breese

Sheila.Stables

Default Hilda/Frances Locke

Hi Janieg / Carrie,
    I realise that it's many years since this thread was posted but am so excited to find it I had to reply in hopes it maybe picked up. I have been searching for Hilda Locke as she was my grandmother's sister. My grandmother was Frances Locke. I have only just discovered the link back to Somerset Joe and the Boswells. Very exciting. I would love to have some contact with you, Janieg. Do you know anything about any of the other siblings? I have pictures of Frances. Hilda was a witness at her wedding.

Here's hoping,
    Sheila

Sheila.Stables

Hi all,

I, too, am related to you guys and would love to be in contact with someone. My grandmother was Frances Locke, daughter of Somerset Joe. Is anyone still out there?
    Yours hopefully,
    Sheila
    Quote Originally Posted by Donships View Post
    I have a South Cerney link in my Locke's family tree which is on Genes Reunited. I've recently had some correspondence about South Cerney from a contact of Janie so it is all the same clan. Janie and I are related to the siblings Zebulin, Somerset and the celebrated Esmeralda Lock.
    Don

Hello Shiela.Stables and welcome to Brit-Gen

Unfortunately most of the contributors to this thread have not been on the forums for 2 or more years.

To view their profiles click on the username and a drop down menu appears with profile at the top. You could try sending a private message(pm) to any or all of them by choosing private menu from the same menu. Hopefully they are still using the same email
    address.
    Christanel

Owdwilly

Quote Originally Posted by carefulcarrie View Post
    I am trying to trace my Lock(e) ancestors who were a Romany family that travelled through Shropshire, Staffordshire, Gloucestershire, Worcestershire, Herefordshire and Monmouthshire. The period I am interested in is 1800-1900.
    Hi Carrie,
    Not sure you will get this as your post is a long time ago, but I must be related to you. I know where your Great grandmother Sarah Jane and your Grandad William are buried. Sarah Jane is my great aunty, she is my grandads sister. I have photos of her.
    Sarah Jane is the daughter of Isaiah and she is named after her mum. Isaiah is also known as James which I think is his middle name. He died after being discovered in the snow in the 1920s and is buried near me. I also have photos of him and Sarah Jane.
    Really hope you get this

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123