Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lock(e)s

alveleyhistorian

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by netsy
    I have just started researching my Locke ancestors. Matilda Locke of Alveley b 1855/6 was my gt grandmother. Her father was listed as Bofia Locke married to Sarah in the 1871 census but in 1881 his name was listed as Bofine and in 1891 as Beanjoy (the census page actually reads Beaufoy and has been mistranscribed). I believe this Locke family were Romany as we have always been aware we had Romany ancestors from the Wolverley area. My sister in law has found an Ezekiah Lock with date of christening/birth as 14/06/1812 in Cheswardine nr Newport, with brothers Noah 04/07/1824 Claverley nr Wolverley and Buz Lock 14/06/1812 Claverley - parents were Matthew Lock and Membrance Lock. Bofia was born in Claverley. Kidderminster Library holds some microfiche on Shropshire and this is where the info on Ezekiah came from. There is a useful website called Shropshire on line that holds all sorts of info. I suspect there is a link between my Locke family and yours.
    Hi there,
    Vehristening/birth as 14/06/1812 in Cheswardine nr Newport, with brothers Noah 04/07/1824 Claverley nr Wolverley and Buz Lock 14/06/1812 Claverley - parents were Matthew Lock and Membrance Lock. Bofia was born in Claverley. Kidderminster Library holds some microfiche on Shropshire and this is where the info on Ezekiah came from. There is a useful website called Shropshire on line that holds all sorts of info. I suspect there is a link between my Locke family and yours.[/QUOTE]

Hi there,
    Very interested in your mention of the Bofi Locke and family that lived at Alveley.
    Please pm me
    Best wishes,
    alveleyhistorian

janieg

Quote Originally Posted by alveleyhistorian
    Hi there,
    Vehristening/birth as 14/06/1812 in Cheswardine nr Newport, with brothers Noah 04/07/1824 Claverley nr Wolverley and Buz Lock 14/06/1812 Claverley - parents were Matthew Lock and Membrance Lock. Bofia was born in Claverley. Kidderminster Library holds some microfiche on Shropshire and this is where the info on Ezekiah came from. There is a useful website called Shropshire on line that holds all sorts of info. I suspect there is a link between my Locke family and yours.
    Hi there,
    Very interested in your mention of the Bofi Locke and family that lived at Alveley.
    Please pm me
    Best wishes,
    alveleyhistorian[/QUOTE]

janieg

Hi there really interested in the locke family as my grandmother was a locke, her father was joseph her grandfather was noah and his parents were matthew and membrance

carefulcarrie

Default Joseph Lock

Hi Janieg

Your gt grandfather must have been Somerset Joe, born in 1859 Staffordshire. He married Maria Jones in 1882 at St. Andrew's Mission Church, Stafford. They had daughters Ada, Dora, Frances, Florence and Hilda May. Maria died at the early age of 49 years in 1906.

Which daughter are you descended from?

Regards
    CarefulCarrie

Donships

Default Romany Lockes

My grandmother was Gladys Locke b 1893 at Tibberton. Her father was a Zebulent (Zebulin) James Locke. I've got access to someone else's family tree of an Ezekiel Locke b1833 who had 13 children 1862-1881 and all were baptized at Alverley - but Gladys is from a different branch

My late uncle had said they were Romanys and even had a Norwegian conection. One member actually returned to Norway in 1880 to attend a family wedding. Zebulin was a musician, I think born in Gloucester, and the family settled in Newport Salop in the 1880s.

Please email me if you have or want to share some information
    Don
    Last edited by Guest; 11-10-2007 at 3:17 PM.

Donships

Default Romany Lockes

Just to say thanks. Through this website someone provided me with my family tree back to 1780

janieg

Default Menbrancei and Mathew Locke

Hi My ancestors are Rememberance Membranci and Mathew Locke and also The gypsy Esmeralda Locke get in touch netsy

janieg

Default Somerset Locke

Hi Carrie,
    My grandmother was Hilda May the youngest and her fathers name was Joseph Somerset Locke there were lots more children I think about 13 in total and I have a long history for a few of them that I am pursuing at the moment.
    Somerset my great grandfather was the brother of the infamous gypsy esmeralda locke .
    Janieg

Quote Originally Posted by carefulcarrie
    Hi Janieg

Your gt grandfather must have been Somerset Joe, born in 1859 Staffordshire. He married Maria Jones in 1882 at St. Andrew's Mission Church, Stafford. They had daughters Ada, Dora, Frances, Florence and Hilda May. Maria died at the early age of 49 years in 1906.

Which daughter are you descended from?

Regards
    CarefulCarrie

janieg

Default Bofi Locke

Hi, I have a Bofi in my tree (john bofie locke)
    I have contacted Don and Carrie as I have found a long gypsy line that includes lockes, locks and boswells I'm sure if we all put our heads together we will find we are linked.

Quote Originally Posted by janieg
    Hi there,
    Please pm me
    Best wishes,
    alveleyhistorian
    [/QUOTE]

janieg

Default The Scholar Gypsy

Hi Greenlady
    Esmeralda Locke was my mums great aunt and I have lots more info on her if you are interested
    However I have not as yet managed to get a copy of the scholar gypsy my brother has managed to source one and I willat last be able to see what she looked like.
    janieg

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlady
    I have read about the Locks in various books. Ones I have to hand are "The Scholar Gypsy" by Anthony Sampson, published by John Murray, and "Songs From The Roadside" by Jeremy Sandford, published by The Redlake Press.

The Scholar Gypsy has several pages on Esmeralda Lock, including two portraits. She was married to Hubert Smith, the town clerk of Bridgnorth, but ran away for some time with a lover. She was a singer and dancer (apparently Dante Rosetti painted her at some point) and ended up in Prestatyn.
    The book also briefly mentions Zekie Lock (Ezekiel, perhaps?) "one of the true-born gypsy Shropshire clan".

Songs From The Roadside has a couple of pages on the Locke family "known as the Gentlemen Lockes". It says that one of their songs is still in the vaults of the English Folk Dance and Song Society. The book specifically tells of John Locke. Esmeralda also gets a mention later in the book - she's obviously quite a famous lady!

A quote in the latter book (doesn't say who said it): "You can never mistake a Locke; they are so long!"

Don't know if any of this helps, but you should certainly try delving into Romanestan Publications books for any information on Romanies and Romany families - I have found them invaluable!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast