Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    roysloan

Default Samuel Heath-Albion Heath birth location

Quote Originally Posted by Kerrywood View Post
    There are possible deaths for Samuel and Elizabeth in Shepton Mallet registration district in 1845 and 1851 respectively. This family seems to be a fixture in Shepton Mallet. It's unlikely they had a son (Albion) in London in 1819 and subsequently moved back. Elizabeth would have been at the very end of her child-bearing years in 1819.

Instead, I'd suggest that your priority should be to find a baptism for Albion and pin him to the right Samuel. Perhaps you could tackle this from another angle and try to establish how and when Albion moved to Canada. Was he in the army, perhaps? Just a thought.
    Kerrywood: From my G Grandmother's records all we knew was Albion was from London but birth location was unknown. With my finding of the possible family connection to Emanuel Heath, who also was a Carpenter and possibly an apprentice under him in London, as Emanuel Heath and his family were in London from at least 1824.

The only records I have of him in the UK is No. 2 Trinity St. Cardiff, Glamorgan, Wales and that is in 1941 Census as a single boarder and then his marriage to Mary Philips, 17 June 1841. His father-in-law William Philips was also a Carpenter. ( I will look into William Philips and see where he was from on the 1841 & 1851 Census)
    As I stated before on Albion's marriage registration his fathers name is Samuel and occupation is "Grocer".

As you suggested I will contact Somerset records office to do research Samuel's shopkeeper status in Shepton Mallet so I can eliminate this Samuel as a possible father.

I still have to research Mary Philips death as when he married Sarah Mason in Toronto, Ontario, Canada on February 07, 1846 he is listed as a widower. But how and when he arrived in Canada is unknown but when I get have death date for Mary Philips I should have a better idea when he arrived in Toronto.

Albion's exact birthdate of 14 May 1819 is from his gravemarker at Maple Leaf Cemetery in Chatham, Kent, Ontario, Canada. The year 1819 is confirmed by his death registration as he died at age 65, on 8 Mar 1884. He was a Primitive Methodist so it is most likely the family was non-conformist in England.

One thing of note is that Albion's full name is Albion Salisbury Heath which is quite unusual. Salisbury is not that far from Shepton Mallet so I will look in that area as well. As you point out his birth should be in or around Shepton Mallet if he has a direct connection to Emanuel.

There has to be a connection to Emanuel but why there is no parish record for Albion's birth is a complete mystery, but I will keep trying by looking a the parish register films myself because he could have been missed in Shepton Mallet.

Thanks for all the guidance and time you have provided to this.

Roy

Brick wall demolition expert!

You are very fortunate to have a birth date recorded on a gravemarker.

I see that on the 1851/1852 Canadian census, Albion Heath is residing in Vaughan Township, York County, Ontario.

There is a Samuel Heath b.c1799 & family nearby in Chinguacousy Township, Peel County, Ontario. Samuel Heath is a farmer and his entire family is born in England, the youngest being born c1845.

Both families are Wesleyan Methodist. Could this Samuel Heath be the father of Albion?

Adele

roysloan

Default Albion Heath b. 1819 son of Samuel Heath

Adele:
    Thanks for the input but I have seen this Samuel Heath Family and there is no evidence that Samuel was a Farmer or ever came to Canada. Samuel was a "Grocer" by occupation as this was stated on Albion's marriage registration.

The connection to England via London and Emanuel Heath who is also was a Carpenter is one of the few great leads I have gained. I will next search Shepton Mallet Parish film records myself and see if Albion was somehow missed in the transciption process. If that fails I will try verify Samuel Heath's b. 1773 occupation. It shows in 1841 he was a "shopkeeper" but I believe John, his first son in Shepton Mallet after 1825 is listed as a "Clothier" so that does not really fit for a father that was a "Grocer".

Its unfortunate, I thought I was close to unraveling this 8 year old secret. It looks as if all the above fails, without a Albion Heath birth record with Samuel as his father, it will be extremly difficult to solve this mystery

If you come up with any further leads it would be appreciated. I will also post to this thead if I come up with anything concrete.

Thanks!
    Roy

Brick wall demolition expert!

Quote Originally Posted by roysloan View Post
    I still have to research Mary Philips death as when he married Sarah Mason in Toronto, Ontario, Canada on February 07, 1846 he is listed as a widower. But how and when he arrived in Canada is unknown but when I get have death date for Mary Philips I should have a better idea when he arrived in Toronto.
    Roy
    The Ontario Cemetery Finding Aid had a Mary Heath & an Albean Heath (baby son?) recorded as buried in Potter's Field in Toronto.

https://www.islandnet.com/ocfa/search.php

The transcription of this cemetery, no longer in existence, is available for purchase from the Toronto branch of the Ontario Genealogy Society.

https://www.torontofamilyhistory.org/cemeterypubs.html

Potter's Field Cemetery (Burial Register only) TRN-004, $6.00

Hope this helps.
    Adele

roysloan

Default Mary HEATH-Albian HEATH, Toronto, York Co.

Adele:
    Thanks for the lead. I will certainly look into it. There was 5 years between the marriage in Cardiff, & Toronto, Canada so they certainly could have come to America together. He did end up having a son named Albion b. 01 DEC 1857in Weston, York Co. Canada who is my GG Grandfather. Another thought, maybe Mary's father William PHILLIPS who was a carpenter also came to Canada.

I reviewed all the parish records in Shepton Mallett for Albion's baptism & came up with nothing! Either it was missed being registered or I am on the wrong family. It could be just a coincidence that Emanuel Heath's father name was also Samuel but hard for me to accept.

Thanks again for the lead on Mary. I will let you know what I find.

Roy

roysloan

Default Albion son of Samuel HEATH-need assistance

Hi All:

In the previous posts on this thread I believe I made a mistake by connecting the incorrect Charles HEATH thus ended up with Emanuel HEATH son of Samuel HEATH in Shepton Mallett. Kerrywood pointed out it that it didn't look right.

I now believe I have found my error. Albion HEATH'S connection to Charles Heath b. 1841 is still correct but the family of Emanuel Heath was in St Olave Silver St. in 1851. The Charles HEATH (b. 1841) I am looking for in 1841 or 1851 should be on St Olave Wood St.

The 1861 census of Charles HEATH is as follows:

1861 Census
    Newington Parish, Lambeth, Trinity
    Head: Charles Heath; Age 20, Commercial Clerk, Birth location: St Olave Wood St.
    Wife: Susannah, Age 20

As Albion HEATH was a "Carpenter" and Emanuel Heath being a Carpenter it blinded me. Big mistake!

If someone could please find the family of Charles above in the 1851 or 1841 Census I would really appreciate it. I came up with two Charles in 1841 & 1851 Census. One was with Emanuel Heath and the other one was Peter Heath as the father and I now know neither of these work.

The end result I am looking for is to find Albion's birth place or his father Samuel Heath somewhere in this line.

Thanks!

Roy

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Hi Roy

St Olave Wood Street, City, as given for Charles' place of birth in 1861, is essentially the same place as St Olave Silver Street.

A bit of historical background: the church of St Olave Silver Street was destroyed in the Great Fire (1666) and was not rebuilt. Instead, the parish was combined with the nearby parish of St Alban Wood Street, although separate parish registers were maintained until 1812. The united parish is therefore sometimes loosely referred to as St Olave Wood Street. In real terms, it is the same place.

All these St Olaves -- some different, some the same -- very confusing!

I've PM'd you in similar vein.

Kerrywood

roysloan

Default Looks as if Samuel HEATH was a grocer

Kerrywood:

Look what was posted the Sommerset site!

Try a search of 'Shepton Mallet Land Tax' and see if they have a copy of these tax returns. These will probably be from a generation before your Samuel Heath, but may indicate if his business was inherited. SRO may be able to provide a copy.

GENUKI is a useful resource, have a look at this part of the site covering Somerset It includes a directory of 1844 showing a John HEATH, grocer in Market Place, Shepton Mallet.
    Still have to confirm but a John HEATH was Samuel's first born. Looks like it may work out after all. I do not know if I will ever find a baptism or birth record but will keep trying. Once I have confirmation he was a Grocer then it will be worth while spending some extra on research to see where Albion was born.

I want to thank you and Adele for contibutions to this thread. You in particular have been a great help.

Best Regards,

Roy

roysloan

Default Samuel Heath- Death Certificate @ GRO

Can anyone tell me what additional information I can expect to find from a 1845 Death Certificate other than actual death date. Samuel HEATH died Abt. Dec 1845 Shepton Mallet, Somerset and is listed in Vol 10 Page 292.

Thanks for your assistance!

Roy

Jan1954

Quote Originally Posted by roysloan View Post
    Can anyone tell me what additional information I can expect to find from a 1845 Death Certificate other than actual death date. Samuel HEATH died Abt. Dec 1845 Shepton Mallet, Somerset and is listed in Vol 10 Page 292.

Thanks for your assistance!

Roy
    Click on the links within this page of Barbara Dixon's website. All will be revealed....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast