Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CrazyCanuck

Default John Griffiths born in Hopesay

Listers,

I've hit a brick wall and am looking for some assistance. My gg-grandfather was born around 1860, according to the 1861 UK Census, in Hopesay to William Griffiths and Charlotte Tedstone. They were married in Hopesay in 1859.

I have not been able to locate John's birth record and am hoping someone out there will be able to help.

Thanks in advance, Dan

Jan1954

Hello Dan,

How about this one:

June quarter 1861, Clun registration district, volume 6a, page 541
    John GRIFFITHS

(Clun covered Hopesay)

CrazyCanuck

Default John Griffiths born in Hopesay

Hey Jan,

Thanks. I'll give that one a whirl and order it from GRO. The last couple didn't pan out for me.

Dan

Hello - I have done some research on this family as my great grandmother was Sarah Tedstone (1855-1890), daughter of William, who was Charlotte's elder brother. Their father seemed to have died relatively young and they all lived together for some years. Charlotte was a witness at William's wedding in 1853. Charlotte is buried at the churchyard in Hopesay, with one of her daughters, Louisa. I would be interested to know what happened to John - last note I have for him is in Halford aged 11 on 1871 census. Also I would be interested to know if you confirmed his birth details. I've been doing a bit of trawling for information about Perry Gutter, the hamlet in Hopesay where they lived for many years. Griffiths is a name that features there quite a bit.

Hallo Jane, and welcome to British-Genealogy. CrazyCanuck has not visited the Forum for over a year, but hopefully your post will generate an e-mail alert and he will pick it up.

Now that you have joined us I hope you will have a good look round and stay
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

CrazyCanuck

Hey Jane, as you well noticed, I don't use this site very often. I have made some inroads into the griffiths of Hopesay. Not much as Griffiths is obviously a pretty common name. If you wish, you can contact me at my personal email.... bigdaddyb26 AT yahoo DOT com. I have the baptism record for John Griffiths, the death record for William Griffiths (Charlotte's husband) as well as their marriage record. I would be interested in the 1871 Census you have as I don't have that one. I have the 1861, 1881 and 1891 Census for John and his wife Jessie Cotterell and son, John James.
    Last edited by Sue Mackay; 15-08-2010 at 10:13 PM. Reason: e-mail munged to prevent spammers

CrazyCanuck

Default 1841 UK Census Lookup Please - Griffiths

I am researching my Griffiths family and have recently located a ggg-grandfather William Griffiths. I would like to go further back, but have hit a wall. I was hoping someone out there could please lookup the 1841 UK Census for him, knowing that because of such common first and last names it may be difficult.

Here is what I do know:

- According to his death record of 1890, he was 60 years old at his time of death which puts his birth at around 1830.
    - He was married in 1859 to Charlotte Tedstone in Hopesay, Shropshire.
    - According to his marriage certificate his father was John Griffiths, but does not list his mother.
    - His children were all born in and around Hopesay, Halford and Clunungford.
    - According to the 1861 and 1881 UK Census, he, obviously, lived in these areas as well.
    - He was a railway platelayer/labourer by trade.

If I can locate him on the 1841 UK Census, I'm hoping that from that I will be able to locate his mother and from there have a better chance of locating his birth record.

Much appreciated,

Dan

Name well known on Brit-Gen

CrazyCanuck had two threads running on this family. I have combined them so as to keep all the replies in one place.

The information given in earlier posts may help with this current search for the family in 1841.

CrazyCanuck

Hey Graham,

I knew this was going to be a tough one. On William's marriage certificate it only states that his father was a labourer. William is living at Round Oak or Bound Oak at the time (1859). His marriage certificate also states "Marriage solemnized by Banus in the Parish of Hopesay in the county of Salop." On the 1861 Census, William is living at 52 Perrygutter in Hopesay and is listed as 30 and a Labourer. On the 1881 Census, he is listed as 51 and living at 46 Newington Terrace in Halford and his occupation is Railway Labourer. On William's death certificate, he is listed as a Railway Platelayer. So his brith does centre in and around the year 1830 +/- 1 year.

Hope this helps. Thanks for looking. Its much appreciated,

Dan

CrazyCanuck

Hi Jane,

Thought I would try and post now although your post is almost two years old now. I have since your post found out some information about John Griffiths and was wondering if you still needed it. Perhaps you yourself have learned some more information.

Before I go on about the information I have, I'll see if you are still monitoring this site.

Thanks, Dan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast