Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Jennifer Wesley

Default Lennox John Hayman

I am trying to trace where my Grandfather, Lennox John Hayman, went off to just after WW2 leaving behind my Gran Edith Duke Hayman nee Norris & 2 sons. They were married in St Pauls Church,Durban on 12/01/1925. His Birth date is 01/06/1904 & his army no. was 3131V. There was no trace of him in Durban archives when my Gran passed on in 1972. Rumours were he went off to Australia as someone saw him getting on a ship in Durban harbour but there is no trace of him in their archives.
    Jenny

Procat

Please note there is additional information in this thread.

Jennifer Wesley

I have now found out my Grandfather Lennox John Hayman went to England not Australia as he had family there. His mother was Frances Eleanor Hayman(previously Cain born Jackson) In her estate papers it says she was born in South Wales, England 1869 & her parents were John James Jackson & Fanny Sayers( Jackson born Dunn) She died in Durban in 1/09/1951. Her 1st husband was William Henry Cain(his mother was Elizabeth) & her 2nd husband(my g Grandfather) was William Norton Hayman. He was estranged from her when she died as it states his whereabouts unknown, but my late Dad had said he was in an old age home somewhere in Durban. No trace of him in SA archives. I am trying to find out where & when both Lennox & William Hayman are buried & also more about William`s & Eleanor`s families. Can anybody help please?
    Jenny

Hi Jennifer. Sorry I missed your posting earlier - it was while I was on holiday. I have found a passenger list on Ancestry for a Lennox HAYMAN sailing as a crew member, sailing from South Korea to San Francisco on MV Ripley in July 1953. He was aged 48, which was about right, and was on board as a "dk greaser". It states that his length of service at sea was 23 years, so given that Lennox Hayman is not that common a name, perhaps you should be looking at merchant shipping records.

Do you have certificates for his parents and details of when they went to South Africa?

BTW, as a resident of South Wales, I will forgive you on this occasion for saying it is in England as I realise that is probably what was written in the estate records
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

I am having a little difficulty locating all the family mentioned in your post to see where they could be located, in particular Frances Jackson/Cain/Hayman

The Haymans seem to have come from Devon. Have I correctly identified the following?

William Norton HAYMAN b March qtr 1876 Kingsbridge, Devon (volume 5b page 211)

1881 census: RG11; Piece: 2180; Folio: 31; Page: 12
    Strete, Blackawton, District of Kingsbridge, Devon

Loveday B HAYMAN Head Unm 56 b Devon, Little Hampton
    Lydia HAYMAN sister 64 b Devon Buckfastleigh (Imbecile)
    Ann HAYMAN sister 59 b Devon, Little Hampton (Imbecile)
    Next entry
    John H.P. HAYMAN Head Mar 38 Farmer 250 acres employing 4 men & 2 boys b Devon, Strete
    Jessie A.G. HAYMAN wife 36 b Ireland, Dublin
    Philip A HAYMAN son 9
    H.L. HAYMAN son 6
    William N HAYMAN son 5
    Maggie J HAYMAN dau 4
    children all born Strete

1891 Census: RG12; Piece: 1940; Folio 11; Page 1
    Manor Farm, Woolley, Somerset

John H.P. HAYMAN Head Mar 48 Farmer b Devonshire Blackawton
    Jessie A.G. HAYMAN Wife 46 b Ireland, Monstown
    Phillip A son 19
    Henry L son 16
    Maggie J dau 13
    Walter J son 9
    Norton son 7
    Nellie M dau 5
    Children all born Devonsire Blackawton
    Last edited by Sue Mackay; 03-08-2009 at 9:15 AM. Reason: Pressed Submit too soon!
    Sue Mackay

It seems clear that the Norton HAYMAN in the 1891 census is not the William Norton HAYMAN born 1876 but the Norton HAYMAN registered March quarter 1884 in Kingsbridge, Devon Volume 5b page 194. Norton appears on the 1901 census back in Strete as a draper's assistant apprenticed to his uncle. I can't find William Norton. Did he marry in South Africa?
    Sue Mackay

OK, have finally found Frances. She was mistranscribed as France in 1871

RG10; Piece: 5414; Folio: 116; Page: 7
    4 Glangarw Row, Llangeinor, Glamorgan

John J JACKSON 43 Carpenter b Durham
    Fanny JACKSON wife 30 b Highworth, Wiltshire
    Frances E. JACKSON dau 2 b Glamorgan, Newcastle
    Llyn JACKSON son 3 mo b Llangeinor, Glamorgan (registered March qtr 1871 in Bridgend as Llynoi)

Frances' birth was registered in Bridgend March qtr 1869 Vol 11a page 498 as Frances Ellinur Jackson (looks like Ellinur to me on original but it has been indexed as Ellinor)

Can't find any trace of her after 1871 so perhaps the whole family emigrated?
    Sue Mackay

This explains why I can't find any trace of Frances' marriages in the UK. She presumably emigrated as a child and both her husbands were also in South Africa. Her mother's death is here.

Have you tried the Durban passenger lists on genealogyworld.net? It's a bit too early for the Findmypast lists, which start in 1890.
    Sue Mackay

John James Jackson was in South Africa by 1884. See here.
    Sue Mackay

Jennifer Wesley

Hi Sue, Wow I can`t believe how much you have found out already,thank you.
    Firstly in that passenger list it says his length of service at sea in 1953 was 23 years , my grandfather was serving in S A Army (R.D.L.I) WW2 between 27 November 1939 & 12 May 1944 according to his army records.The height given in that document is excactly the same as given in his army records(5ft 9 1/2 ) Age is only few months out.Wonder if it could be him??It says there he was of British Nationality?? but he was born here in Durban S A.
    I know nothing about his father William Norton as there is nothing in the Archives here & in his mother`s Francis`s estate papers it says his whereabouts unknown as they were estranged. Also whereabouts of Lennox unknown. Yes I do believe Francis married both her husbands here in Durban, she definetly married William in Durban as the address in her first husband`s estate papers(1902) & the address in her estate papers are the same.
    Thanks again for your help.
    Regards
    Jenny

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast