Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

The Times, Friday, January 22 1943
    NAVAL CADETS - ENTRIES TO DARTMOUTH
    The Secretary of the Admiralty announces that the following candidates have been declared successful for entry as naval cadets into the Royal Naval College, Dartmouth, as a result of the Autumn, 1942, Common Entrance Examination
    P. R. C..... - H... (Mr R H R Whicker, Hillside Sch. (Reigate), at Crownpits House, Godalming)

(Note - it appears the Head of the school of each successful candidate is recorded in the list. Name of successful candidate withheld in case still alive)
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Alpine

Default Hillside Prep School, The Drive, Godalming

Quote Originally Posted by hillsider View Post
    Hi Alison,
    I know exactly where it was as I went to it and, in my time there it was Mr Whicker who was headmaster. It occupied the land to the West of The Close and is now called The Paddock - went down almost as far as Birch Croft. The house was magnificent and was called Crownpits house. There was a miniature railway running the entire perimeter of the very extensive grounds. It was knocked down after it closed in around 1970 and built on. I'm very interested in finding other men who went there as it was such a small school few records exist. Regards

Martin
    I was at this school for the 4 years prior to it's closing in the Summer of 1969, (I was aged 12) and it was years later that I became aware that the Headmaster had died shortly after the school was closed. There had been talk amongst the boys at the school that the Headmasters son was going to build a house approximately where a tree called 'The Ladybird' was situated, and become the new Headmaster, This did not come to fruition. As memory serves, the last year the school was down to about 30 pupils, a mixture of daily attenders and boarders of which I was a boarder. Mr Redman was the sciences and Maths teacher, I'm sorry but I cant remember the English teachers name (Thacker possibly), but he had a black Labrador and would often go to Canada during school holidays. In the past I have tried to get more information about both my Schools Hillside and Watlands but there is little to be able to find. I would love to know more if at all possible.

hillsider

Default We must have been contemporaries

I thought he did build the house as I remember the sadness at losing the tree.

The english teacher was Mr Coates (Latin too) what did Mr Simmonds teach? I know Mrs Whicker taught Piano and singing

Would love to chat more and see if we remember each other - perhaps via email? martin at crocodileproductions dot co dot uk

Best wishes

Quote Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
    I was at this school for the 4 years prior to it's closing in the Summer of 1969, (I was aged 12) and it was years later that I became aware that the Headmaster had died shortly after the school was closed. There had been talk amongst the boys at the school that the Headmasters son was going to build a house approximately where a tree called 'The Ladybird' was situated, and become the new Headmaster, This did not come to fruition. As memory serves, the last year the school was down to about 30 pupils, a mixture of daily attenders and boarders of which I was a boarder. Mr Redman was the sciences and Maths teacher, I'm sorry but I cant remember the English teachers name (Thacker possibly), but he had a black Labrador and would often go to Canada during school holidays. In the past I have tried to get more information about both my Schools Hillside and Watlands but there is little to be able to find. I would love to know more if at all possible.

hillsider

I think there were two schools in Godalming called Hillside School and Gielgud, I believe went to the other one.
    Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    Re Gielgud, from The Times, Thursday, March 22 1964 -
    "Gielgud at 80 ...... he still resembles the boyhood photograph that shows him swathed in a toga as Mark Anthony in a production of Julius Caesar at Hillside School, Godalming."

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Dear All
    I am another old boy having attended the school for the last three years of the 1950s.
    I well remember Mr Whicker who was known for the fact that he saved every stamp that came into the building. I believe he had boxes of Penny Blacks. I seem to remember us all having a regular weekly appointment in detention after his Latin lessons. Mr Coates was definitely the English teacher (with an old golden Labrador) at the time and Mr Redman taught maths and woodwork
    Certainly in the late 1950s the school had an incredible record for sports much of it built round a lad by the name of Botting. If memory serves me correctly he scored 60 goals in 12 matches in 1959 hockey season (yes an average of 5 a match). I played with him in the 1959 football team which recorded 13 wins and a draw in 14 matches. Looking at the team photograph the names I can remember are Botting, Leonard, Pringle, Gibbs (?), Sutton, Hall, Jacobs, Reynolds and Noble. Have any of these people seen this?
    I am delighted to hear other people can remember the place. I certainly felt it gave me a great start in life.
    Roger Noble

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I still look back on my days at Hillside School, Godalming with huge fondness. I was a boarder from 1960 - 64; the days when Latin was compulsory and Mr and Mrs Whicker were revered and respected in equal measure. Nelsonites were the bravest and Hawk House regularly won the PE contest. Nigel Coates...'Tiger' Redmond and Miss Bannister. Wonderful days. I've gone but they've not been forgotten.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Hillside School

Dear James
    Great to see your post. I see in mine that I mistakenly described being in the 1959 football team but looking at the team photo I see it was actually 1960 so we must have overlapped by a year. Anyway some familiar old names coming up.
    Roger Noble

I was at Hillsire from 1962 until 1966, my brother was there from 1960-65. I remember Mr Coates and his black lab called Souix, Mr Redman who always had a certain smell about him (!), Mrs Whicker was a sweetie to me. I was in Eagle house and Mr Whicker went into a rage when we won the gymnastics and cricket cups! I remember the swimming pool (Busbridge?) and changing room. I was a boarder, so was my brother. He became headboy. I was captain of hockey and also colours in cricket and football. Lots more to tell if interested?

hillsider

Default Pray, tell more

Dear Rob
    I think I joined the school in 1965 so we probably missed each other but the memories are not diminished. I think Mr Redman was a pipe smoker so the smell was probably that. Mr Coates was a lovely man and, I think held the records of the school although my last contact with him was ten years ago so he's probably moved on (one way or another) by now. In the final days of the school we would help him cut the grass in the outfield and mow the nettles prior to sports day.

Mrs Whicker taught me Piano and singing and was so charming. I also remember being invited to their flat for tea. Three lucky (and terrified) pupils were selected each Sunday and I, once there one other number had to use a wind up telephone to inform Mr Whicker, who was in his study, and tell him that tea was served. It was daunting.

Any memories happily shared.
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by RobSpooner View Post
    I was at Hillsire from 1962 until 1966, my brother was there from 1960-65. I remember Mr Coates and his black lab called Souix, Mr Redman who always had a certain smell about him (!), Mrs Whicker was a sweetie to me. I was in Eagle house and Mr Whicker went into a rage when we won the gymnastics and cricket cups! I remember the swimming pool (Busbridge?) and changing room. I was a boarder, so was my brother. He became headboy. I was captain of hockey and also colours in cricket and football. Lots more to tell if interested?

Default Hillside

Martin - I did enjoy my days there, we used to have first eleven cricket catching practice on the lawn, all eleven of us in a line, Mr Whicker at one end of the lawn with the keeper alongside him who we threw into after (hopefully!) catching the ball!
    Tree climbing was a favourite hobby as was the often done round the woods bike chase. We started as day boys and my mother would drop us off at the back drive so we'd walk up the hill, up the back drive and into school. There was a temporary teacher who used to drive a hand painted purple FORD POP! He used to go to see bands at the Ricky Tick club (John Mayall with a chap called Clapton!). A Mr Kobylanski taught FRENCH.He was a Polish refugee after the war. I remember well my first day at Hillside - as I walked by the bicycle sheds a chap named SCUDDER ht me on the head with his hockey stick! Mr Scudder thanks for the intro!!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast