Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buxton, Norfolk

Geoffers

I am trying to find the parents of William Ward Hannant who married Sarah Smith. I believe Williams parents are George Hannant and Elizabeth Ward.
    Okedoke - next question - when and where did George HANNANT marry Elizabeth WARD? - What is the source of the information?

If William (Ward) HANNANT was the son of this couple, in your shoes I would be looking at Elizabeth's parish, which is likely to be where the parents married.

HANNANT and its variants is a frequently occurring name in Norfolk, but does not appear in Buxton before 1755 (and then there is a single entry), a good deal more relating to the name appears from 1788 onwards

In your shoes it is the marriage of George Hannant and Eliabeth Ward that I would be chasing and then looking for a baptism around that time of either William HANNANT, or William WARD in the same parish.

Quote Originally Posted by snailesmum
    Thanks for the quick reply.
    That's alright, it's nice to have a reply read, unlike for example Archwayal who asked a question, had an answer within a few minutes, but never acknowledged it..........such is life

William Ward Hannant was born about 1768, Buxton, Norfolk, England. Sarah Smith was born about 1772, Buxton, Norfolk, England. I have no death date.
    Okedoke, there was a Sarah Smith bapt in Buxton in 1775, daughter of George and Martha. How have you arrived at a rough birth year for William?

I think their marriage was about 1794.
    Buxton PR entry 162, page 58
    William HENNANT, sm, otp
    married after banns
    Sarah SMITH, sw, otp
    at Buxton 5th March 1794
    wit: Edmd CLIPPERTON, Ann RIVETT

I think they had 8 children, Robert Smith Hannant, Martha Hannant, Richard Hannant, Elizanne (Eliza Jane) Hannant, William Clarke Hannant, Sophia Hannant, Sarah Hannant & Matilda Hannant - ranging in years from 1794 to 1817.
    The children are all recorded in Buxton Baptist Chapel records, but you'll also find baptisms in the local parish church for several. The ATs help by giving Richard's year of birth as 1799. The ATs' record the daughter Elizanne and this appears to correspond to an entry in the Baptists Chapel records for Elizabeth.

You mention that some original records are available via the familysearch site. Is this the site you mean - familysearch.org
    Yes, some records are there, Baptist records can be viewed on the pay-per-view site 'TheGenalogist'

From a copy of Henry and Jane (Goulding) Hannant's marriage certificate the following information was found.1852. Marriage solemnized at the District Church of St Peter in the Parish of Stepney in the County of Middlesex. Married on 27 June 1852, Henry Hannant, age 26, bachelor, his occupation - omnibus conductor, his residence at the time of marriage was 39 Wellington Place, his father is Richard Hannant and Richards rank or profession is a Tailor.
    I take it the connection back to Buxton is from the 1851 census entry Ho107/1504 f564 p4, in Hackney?

snailesmum

I am trying to find the parents of William Ward Hannant who married Sarah Smith. I believe Williams parents are George Hannant and Elizabeth Ward.

Okedoke - next question - when and where did George HANNANT marry Elizabeth WARD? - What is the source of the information?
    I found some information in another search engine that had George Hannant and Elizabeth Ward as the parents of William Ward Hannant.

There is a marriage date of 29 January 1770, Paston, Norfolk, England. There was no verification of the information, so I am only assuming that there is a connection at this stage.

If William (Ward) HANNANT was the son of this couple, in your shoes I would be looking at Elizabeth's parish, which is likely to be where the parents married.

How do I find the parishes and the links to contact someone at the parishes?

HANNANT and its variants is a frequently occurring name in Norfolk, but does not appear in Buxton before 1755 (and then there is a single entry), a good deal more relating to the name appears from 1788 onwards

As someone who is not familiar with parishes, counties etc and how they all relate, in England I get very confused very quickly with statements like “HANNANT and its variants is a frequently occurring name in Norfolk, but does not appear in Buxton”. This is not a criticism, simply that I am not familiar with how the parishes and counties etc all work. Is there a way I can find out where the parishes are in relation to counties. In Australia, we have towns, shires or councils, then states. So you might live in Brisbane, which is in Brisbane City Council, Queensland, Australia. We would not write an address using the council or shire that we live in. Rarely would we need to locate what council we are in unless we were looking for electoral information for addresses.
    So you would have a house address (perhaps), a street or road address, a town, a parish, a county, then what?

In your shoes it is the marriage of George Hannant and Eliabeth Ward that I would be chasing and then looking for a baptism around that time of either William HANNANT, or William WARD in the same parish.

There is a marriage date of 29 January 1770, Paston, Norfolk, England.
    How would I go about looking for the baptism for William, knowing when the wedding took place? This is where my research skills are sadly lacking.

Okedoke, there was a Sarah Smith bapt in Buxton in 1775, daughter of George and Martha. How have you arrived at a rough birth year for William?

I only have William born about 1768. I have no other information.

The children are all recorded in Buxton Baptist Chapel records, but you'll also find baptisms in the local parish church for several.

(So how do I go about locating this information? Who would I need to contact?)

The ATs help by giving Richard's year of birth as 1799. The ATs' record the daughter Elizanne and this appears to correspond to an entry in the Baptists Chapel records for Elizabeth.

Can you please explain what the Baptists Chapel records are?

Yes, some records are there, Baptist records can be viewed on the pay-per-view site 'TheGenalogist'

I don’t know if you are able to comment regarding the benefits of a full subscription or pay per view at TheGenealogist site. If you are, which would you recommend?
    From a copy of Henry and Jane (Goulding) Hannant's marriage certificate the following information was found.1852. Marriage solemnized at the District Church of St Peter in the Parish of Stepney in the County of Middlesex. Married on 27 June 1852, Henry Hannant, age 26, bachelor, his occupation - omnibus conductor, his residence at the time of marriage was 39 Wellington Place, his father is Richard Hannant and Richards rank or profession is a Tailor.
    I take it the connection back to Buxton is from the 1851 census entry Ho107/1504 f564 p4, in Hackney?

I do not know what the data ‘Ho107/1504 f564 p4, in Hackney’ actually refers to.
    I found the above information from a copy of their marriage certificate.

I thank you for your time and efforts on my behalf. I apologise for my lack of knowledge and understanding of how the districts etc work in England. I do appreciate that you are able to assist me and hope that you will be able to answer some of my comments here.

I look forward to hearing from you.
    Thanks
    Janice

Geoffers

Part 1........

There is a marriage date of 29 January 1770, Paston, Norfolk, England. There was no verification of the information, so I am only assuming that there is a connection at this stage.
    Okay , you have a date and place for a marriage. did you find this on the IGI, or on freereg, or where?

You need to verify things by looking at the original register entry. The registers for most Norfolk parishes have been scanned and those scanned images can be found on familysearch.org

Couples often married in the home parish of the bride, their first child was often born and baptised there. You have a marriage in the parish of Paston, so in your shoes that is where I'd be checking first, if only to act as a means of elimination.

Paston is a small village in North East Norfolk. It has one C of E church and so is a single parish

Oxford English Dictionary - Parish, noun (In the Christian Church) a small administrative district with its own church

How do I find the parishes and the links to contact someone at the parishes?
    The Norfolk Records Office has its own web-site and online catalogue called NROCAT look near the top of the NROCAT screen and move your cursor over 'set searches' - select 'Church of England Parishes' and you can search to see what they hold for any parish in the county. It is highly unlikely that you will need to contact the parish itself (see below)

As mentioned above, you may well find that you can view the register online - if not then you may be able to hire a copy of the registers on film at a mormon church (LDS) record centre - or if not have a look at the freereg site - or if that is no good see if you can purchase a copy of the registers on fiches from the NRO

Geoffers

Part 2........

As someone who is not familiar with parishes, counties etc and how they all relate, in England I get very confused very quickly with statements like “HANNANT and its variants is a frequently occurring name in Norfolk, but does not appear in Buxton”. This is not a criticism, simply that I am not familiar with how the parishes and counties etc all work. Is there a way I can find out where the parishes are in relation to counties.
    First thing to do would be to go to your local library and borrow a book on researching in family history, or to buy a paperback from your local bookshop. This would help you to understand in detail the organisation of records in this country.

Very basically - Before the introducation of civil registration in England and Wales in 1837 (That's the recording and issue of births, marriage and death certificates), the main source for finding out when someone was baptised, married or buried is through Church records. The established church is the Church of England (C of E), but records are kept by other churches too (e.g. Methodist, Baptist, Quaker, Jewish, etc). To keep things simple let's just keep to the C of E for this thread.

The C of E has lots of churches throughout the country. The area covered by each church is called a parish (definition at top of this message).

England and Wales is split into counties, each county will have quite a few parishes within it - Historically, Norfolk has had 752 parishes. A parish is an area with a church in it; a single parish church may cover a large rural area consisting of a village and several outlying hamlets, or you may find a village which has two parishes, or you may come across large towns and cities which have many parishes within them (Norwich was split into 33 parishes).

Each C of E parish had its own church and priest; and each parish church kept its own records (for this thread we'll just deal with parish registers).

By Law, each parish had to maintain registers recording baptisms, marriages and burials - and from the mid-18th century also registers of banns (notices of intention to marry). The amount of detail recorded in parish registers varies over time, as does their condition and survival.

In Norfolk, an annual copy of the registers was made - for 6 years out of 7 this copy was given to the Archdeacon and this copy is known as the Archdeacon's Transcript (AT), every 7th year the copy was given to the Bishop of the diocese and this copy of the registers is known as the Bishop's Transcript (BT).

ATs and BTs have not always survived and sometimes are harder to read - they can however have crucial importance in some parishes where corrections and additional information is provided, or where (for example in Buxton in the late 18th and early 19th century, the parish registers are in very poor condition and the annual copy is essential to research).

Just think of a parish as being a place like a village, or being a suburb in a town. Each with its own records. To find out what is recorded in a parish register you need to look at the original register. Once they are full,

Geoffers

Part 3......

parish registers are usually deposited in County Record Offices. In this case at Norfolk Record Office.

I get very confused very quickly with statements like “HANNANT and its variants is a frequently occurring name in Norfolk, but does not appear in Buxton”.
    I have a one-place study for Buxton - which was a single parish covering the main village and an outlying hamlet (a small group of houses). I know from studying Norfolk records for 35+ years that HANNANT, HANNENT, etc is a common name in Norfolk, especially North East Norfolk where my main interest lies. I have read and copied every entry in the parish registers for Buxton and also the ATs and BTs. I know from these records that the name does not appear in Buxton before the single entry in 1755 and that quite a few entries begin to appear from 1788 onwards.

Geoffers

Part 4........

There is a marriage date of 29 January 1770, Paston, Norfolk, England.

How would I go about looking for the baptism for William, knowing when the wedding took place? This is where my research skills are sadly lacking.
    In Norfolk it often happens that a couple married in the parish where a bride was born, or living. The first child was often baptised in the same parish. You have information from somewhere that this couple married in Paston (so you also have a location), confirm this by looking at the parish registers for Paston. Then also check the register for Paston to see if there was a William WARD baptised just before they married, or a William Ward HANNANT was baptised just after they married.

Geoffers - Okedoke, there was a Sarah Smith bapt in Buxton in 1775, daughter of George and Martha. How have you arrived at a rough birth year for William?

snailsmum - I only have William born about 1768. I have no other information.
    You mentioned William being born about 1768. What I need to find out is why you think he was born about 1768? Is this a guess based on when he married and assuming he must have been about a certain age, do you have a document in which his age is mentioned?

Geoffers - The children are all recorded in Buxton Baptist Chapel records, but you'll also find baptisms in the local parish church for several.

snailsmum - (So how do I go about locating this information? Who would I need to contact?)
    As mentioned, the non-conformist records (e.g. Baptist records) are available to view on the pay-per-view web-site TheGenealogist. Facsimile copies of the C of E registers may be available on the familysearch.org web-site

Can you please explain what the Baptists Chapel records are?
    There are several different churches. The established church in England and Wales is the Church or England. For various reasons there are several other different churches; these include the Methodist Church, the Baptist Church, the Quakers, The Catholics, etc, etc.

These other churches are referred to as 'non-conformist' and kept their own records just as the Church of England does.

In Buxton, as well as the main church, there was also a Baptist Chapel (Oxford English Dictionary - Chapel, noun - a place of worship
    for Nonconformist congregations)

Geoffers

Part 5.............

I don’t know if you are able to comment regarding the benefits of a full subscription or pay per view at TheGenealogist site. If you are, which would you recommend?
    With any pay-per-view - Subscribe in hast, repent at leisure

You can carry out a free search of the records via 'BMDregisters' (which is connected to TheGenealogist) the site turns up easily with any search engine.

Why not carry out a free search to see what hits you get. If you find just a very few entries or so entries, just pay for a few units to see them. If you carry out a search and there are several hundred of interest, you may think a subcription worthwhile.

Geoffers - I take it the connection back to Buxton is from the 1851 census entry Ho107/1504 f564 p4, in Hackney?

snailsmum - I do not know what the data ‘Ho107/1504 f564 p4, in Hackney’ actually refers to.
    Yes, but you will not have found the groom's birthplace on the marriage certificate.

Birthplaces are recorded on census returns.

Each census returns has a reference. If you use a pay-per-view site (e.g. findmypast), you can search by the census reference.

HO107/1504 folio number 564 page number 4 relates to an entry in Hackney in the 1851 census. This shows a man there who may be of interest to you who records his birthplace as 'Buckstone, Norfolk'. Census references are a bit like an address which also tells you the year.

When you look at census returns, do note down the full reference which is given. This is an important general rule when carrying out research; record what you find, when and where (location, type and title of document) and also record the reference.

snailesmum

Hello Geoffers,
    I am still looking to find where I got the marriage date for George Hannant and Mary Ward .
    I usually do save the sources but not this one.

I have found some information from the Norfolk Registers.
    Thanks for the links.

I have found a few maps online with the counties and will look for more detailed maps, when time permits.

Okay, so I’ll be subscribing as soon as possible.

“Geoffers - I take it the connection back to Buxton is from the 1851 census entry Ho107/1504 f564 p4, in Hackney?

snailsmum - I do not know what the data ‘Ho107/1504 f564 p4, in Hackney’ actually refers to.
    Yes, but you will not have found the groom's birthplace on the marriage certificate.

Birthplaces are recorded on census returns.”

I checked my information. It was sent to me from a lady in England about 20 years ago. I tried to contact her again and received a reply that she had passed away and the family were not following up her passion for research.

On the information she sent me, she listed information and stated that it came from the marriage certificate. I assumed that to be correct. I see now that it was correct information, but it didn’t all come from the one source.

I will be keeping a copy of your information for me to refer back to. It is quite a bit to take in and as I find the links and actually use them, things are becoming clearer.

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply to my queries. Thanks for your assistance, suggestions and links for me to follow up.
    Cheers
    Janice

Geoffers

I have found a few maps online with the counties and will look for more detailed maps, when time permits.
    There are many online maps - streetmap is quite good, others exist such as multimap, AA, RAC, google

I checked my information. It was sent to me from a lady in England about 20 years ago. I tried to contact her again and received a reply that she had passed away and the family were not following up her passion for research.

On the information she sent me, she listed information and stated that it came from the marriage certificate. I assumed that to be correct.
    Double check for yourself any information you are sent - DO NOT ASSUME IT TO BE CORRECT - this is absolutely fundamental. Whilst many people have correctly researched information, there is an awful lot o'squit about ('squit' a good old Norfolk word with which your ancestors would have been acquainted) which is no more than fiction.

There is quite a lot of information on this har inter-webby to help us Norfolk dumplings follow our family history. Do yer click on this har thread for some more ideas of web-sites to help and beginning research in Norfick.

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi Geoffers

I was born in Norfolk and raised there. And even though I dont have any connections with Buxton I have been there a few times.

Ben

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast