rocket118

Default 110 Bunhill Row London

On the reverse of my great grandads original birth certificate from 1867 there is info regarding Employemnt of a Child in Labour.

The address is 110 Bunhill Row, London and occupation is listed as Manufacturers.

How would I be able to track down the company that was there at that time?

Many thanks in advance for anyone who replies

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by rocket118 View Post
    How would I be able to track down the company that was there at that time?
    Trade directories. You'll find a good selection at major repositories in London such as LMA and Guildhall Library. Many reproductions are available to purchase on cd. See the Parish Chest catalogue.

LancsLass

Smile

Hi Rocket
    A quick Google of the address brings up a story about the the de La Rue company in 1905 based at 110 Bunhill Row EC1 (the street is still there by the way).

De La Rue are pretty big in fact I think they still print banknotes and paper for cheque books.

Wiki tells me that they were founded by Thomas De La Rue and moved to London in 1821.

I'll leave you to do some more research but I doubt it would take too much to find out if they were at Bunhill Row on the date in question.

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by LancsLass View Post
    I doubt it would take too much to find out if they were at Bunhill Row on the date in question.
    They were.

Colin Moretti

Quote Originally Posted by rocket118 View Post
    On the reverse of my great grandads original birth certificate from 1867 there is info regarding Employment of a Child in Labour.

While I don't doubt that this is an original document I suspect that this isn't a birth certificate, but a certificate provided at a later date in accordance with Education Act requirements as proof of age. I would be interested to know exactly what it has on the back, is there any printed text, for example or is it just the manuscript address, and what does it say about a Child in Labour? Perhaps you could post images of both sides of the document?

Thanks

Colin

Reputation beyond repute

The date worries me.

Does the question mean that he was born in 1867 or that the certificate was issued in 1867?

This certainly sounds sounds like a copy certificate issued when he was leaving school. They were supplied at a nominal cost hence the endorsement on the back.

If he was born in 1867, the Education Act of 1876 might be the relevant one.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I don't know whether or not you're still looking, but I found this:
    https://research.britishmuseum.org/r...px?bioId=19382

Knowledgeable and helpful

I just spotted this post but I see that the subject has moved on a bit since the mention of Thomas De La Rue & Co. Ltd at Bunhill Row. I used to work at De La Rue's current HQ in Basingstoke for 19 years and remember seeing a picture of their former head office in Bunhill Row in the Board Room. I seem to recall that the premises were bombed sometime between 1939 and 1945 forcing the company to move.The manufacture of banknotes had already been moved out of London because of the threat to the economy of losing the production facility.

In the early days of the company it was involved in a fairly wide variety of products including such ingenious things as a machine for folding paper into envelopes as well as printing playing cards, making an early fountain pen, printing stamps and in all probability the printing of various official documents. Over the years the company sold off the non-security products to concentrate on banknotes, stamps and cheques and much more recently passports and other forms of authentication.

It wouldn't surprise me if the document referred to was one of the semi-official papers produced by printers like De La Rue in the 19th century.

Tony
    "People will not look forward to posterity who never look backward to their ancestors.” Edmund Burke