Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weston School

Ms Tarfgi

Default Weston School

My grandfather Thomas Gethin Simmons was recorded as being a boarder at Weston School in the 1881 census. As he was living in Neath, S Wales at the time, I wonder why he went so far (though not far as the crow flies!) to school. I know of no family connection to Weston. I presume Weston School no longer exists, but does anybody know anything about it?

ET in the USA

I asked my husband about this because he was born & raised in Weston-super-Mare, Somerset. He didn't know anything specifically about one called "Weston School", so perhaps it is another Weston.

I did notice, however, that if you were looking at the 1881 census on familysearch.org, that Thomas G. Simmons was Male Age 15 Born in Briton Ferry, Glamorgan, Wales

Occupation Scholar, but that he was living in Weston, Somerset, not Neath as you stated [perhaps you meant his family was in Neath ?]. Since the census pages shown for Thomas only contains 25 young boys, ages 10 - 17, have you looked at the original scans [on Ances** or any other pay site] to see the address of buildings next door, a name for a headmaster or any other adult ? This might pinpoint a street location or at least for sure that it was Weston-super-Mare, not another Weston.

My husband was born & raised in Weston, but went to school from age 13 as a boarder in Bruton. The reason... because he wanted to.

Elaine

ET in the USA

Looking further on Familysearch.org, at RG 11/2443, Folio 67 there are 8 pages [34 - 39 ] comprising the inhabitants of Weston School. The School Master is Albert Browning, age 47, born Weston. The properties at either end of the school pages are 11 Albert Place at one end and The Vicarage at the other, the residence of John Bond, the Vicar of Weston. Next to the Vicarage is High Street. Unfortunately, only High Street is on either the current map or on the 1901/1902 maps I have. Further down High Street is Prospect House

Albert's wife, Ann, and his father & mother in law, George & Mary J. Snow, all born in Bath, Somerset live at the school.

I'm still not 100 percent certain this is Weston-super-Mare and not some other Weston without looking at the original scan since the street names [Albert, High, Church] & the house names [Prospect & Manor] are in many towns throughout England.

In conclusion, looking through a "Directory & Guide for Weston-super-Mare, Clevedon & Burnham" into which my husband's ancestor wrote his name & the date January 1879, I do not find John Bond as Vicar of any church, nor do I find John Bond or Albert Browning listed in the Commercial Directory portion for W-s-M, Clevedon or Burnham.

Hope this helps to keep you looking & to be sure of the correct Weston.

ET in the USA

Ok - here is my last post on this.

Google
    "the vicar of weston" + "john bond".
    One hit is a book -
    The Church Rambler: A Series of Articles on the Churches in the Neighbourhood of Bath.
    By Harold Lewis
    Published by Hamilton, Adams and Co., 1876
    Original from Oxford University
    Digitized Apr 26, 2007
    514 pages

Look at the chapter on “All Saints Weston Next Bath” starting on page 303. The reference to John Bond is on page 305.

Next:
    Google
    "weston school" + bath
    and there are a number of hits about Weston School, such as schoolboy memories & the like. Perhaps something will prove to be interesting.
    Happy hunting.
    Elaine

Ms Tarfgi

Wow Elaine, that's brilliant. Yes Thomas Gethin's parents and sisters still lived in Neath at the time. I don't know why I assumed Weston Super Mare. Perhaps because when Gethin was older, the whole family used to go on holiday there and he had a fondness for the place. Come to think about it, going to boarding school there would be more likely to put him off the place!

Anyway many thanks for the work you've put into this! I will explore when I've walked the dogs.

Molly xx

AnnieB5051

Default Photos

Somewhat slow off the mark, but I've found a couple of photos that may interest you on www.bathintime.co.uk relating to Weston School. There's an image of an old bill for a pupil at 16013, and a photo of the outside of the school in 1910 at 18696.

Anne

Ms Tarfgi

Many thanks for that info Anne. Wish I could read the bill, I'm going to see if I can enhance the image a bit.

Thanks again.

Molly

Colin Rowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Ms Tarfgi View Post
    My grandfather Thomas Gethin Simmons was recorded as being a boarder at Weston School in the 1881 census.
    My chap was there in 1871 whereas your lad was a few years later. Have you found out any more about the place since your last post to this thread?

Thanks

Colin

Loves to help with queries Jonesy's Avatar

I'm Weston-super-Mare born and bred, but have never heard of "Weston School".

By coincidence, I now live 5 minutes from the village of Weston, Bath.

The old school is still in the High Street, but is now used as a pre-school.

Weston All Saints Primary school (known locally as "WASPS") has been in an area above the village, off a road called Lansdown Lane. I think it's been there since the 50s.

Luckily there have been lots of books written about Weston Village life. I'm sure you could source these from a local library:

https://www.westonweb.co.uk/books.html
    Last edited by Jonesy; 22-02-2011 at 8:25 AM. Reason: Added info about books

Loves to help with queries radstockjeff's Avatar

I have a booklet "Looking Back at Weston 1535-1900" in which there is some info regarding the school. Happy to email a couple of scanned pages

radstockjeff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast