Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ELRYDER

Smile Boarding School in East Hardwick, Pontefract,

In 1861 my maternal g-grandfather Samuel Edmund Law was shown on the England Census (Class RG9; Piece 3437;Folio 29; Page 14) as attending a Boarding School in East Hardwick, Pontefract, Yorkshire.
    I am trying to identify the School which appears to be a small one - and is not listed by name in the Census Record.

Reading the Census Record it shows that the school was on Town St, East Hardwick at # 27.

The record shows that #12 Town St. was a farmhouse, # 15 was Traveller's Inn, then at #27 is "Boarding School"

I have contacted Ackworth School in Pontefract and they have no trace of Samuel Law attending that school, but the Burser did mention that a small school operated in East Hardwick which had some affiliation with the Society of Friends but had no further information on it.
    I would appreciate hearing from anyone who could help. Thanks
    Last edited by Jan1954; 06-01-2009 at 10:57 PM. Reason: GSU roll number removed, which is copyright

*bunty*

I checked the description of the enumeration district for East Hardwick, because this is sometimes quite detailed. This one however, wasn't. There was an amusing stick figure that the enumerator had drawn there though . I tried Googling the schoolmater's name and didn't come up with anything either. Off to work the angles and think of another approach .

*bunty*

In 1871 the school is not named; in 1881 it isn't named either. It seems the assistant schoolmaster Samuel Slack, from 1861, is now the schoolmaster. By 1891 there is a girls school there named Granville House. The boys boarding school finally has a name - wait for it - East Hardwick Boys Boarding School.

ELRYDER

Default Boarding School East Hardwick

Bunty:
    Thanks very much for your reply - I hadn't looked at the Census for the following time periods '71 / '81 /'91 as I was obviously too focussed on what I couldn't find - so didn't sit back and check subsequent years.
    ...I'm learning ....slowly !!
    One interesting name that came to light is Samuel Slack- going from assistant teacher to school master.
    because my g grandmother was Bertha Slack - Samuel Law and Bertha married in 1869. I have checked her on Census and Birth records and can verify her father was John Slack - but I am going to check if there is any connection. More work to do !!
    Your help is very much appreciated. Thanks again.

*bunty*

No worries, nice to be in first in helping. You have to be fast around here .

I found this on the Net. It seems to be a Lords sitting, addressed in 1908. It has particular relevance to what we now know is East Hardwick Boarding School. You might get some information from it.

https://hansard.millbanksystems.com/l...-riding-school

Do post back here if you have a connection with Samuel SLack - just out of my own interest . I see Samuel Slack's son Samuel took over as schoolmaster (he was in place by 1901).

*bunty*

OK, I promise I will leave you alone after this one little snippet of information . The Wakefield Council has free historic maps online, so I located East Hardwick. It has a photo of the old school (you click on the pink dots which are historic places of interest). If you PM me your email address, I will send you the link to the maps and the actual photo. It also says this about the school:

The school was built in 1660 and threatened with closure from 1979 onwards. It finally closed summer 1986 and was bought by a private buyer. Today the building is unused and derelict.
    Shame. It is a beautiful building (well I think so anyway, but then I come from a country with very few historic and interesting buildings!).

ELRYDER

Default East Hardwick School

Did you get my p m with my email address re. photo of school?
    Thanks

ELRYDER

Default East Hardwick School

Oops.....Sorry I sent that twice!!

goldie88

At one time this was a Roman Catholic private boarding school. a boy/girl boarding schools that is built for the poor children. Sadly the school in the village was closed in 1986.

ELRYDER

Hi Goldie:
    Thanks for your posting in this thread - do you have any idea of the time frame for the RC boarding school ? Was it after 1900's ?
    Thank you

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast