Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I am super late to the party here.... Roughly 9 years!
    But I just wanted to add my research. A convict and survivor from the Waterloo, was then transported to Van Diemen's Land (Tasmania), John Clifford. John settled in St.Helens, Tasmania and lived to be 101 years of age - a great innings back in those days!

K Hodgkinson

Hi Courtney F. John Clifford was was also a G-G-Grandfather of mine. I can't remember if I can give you my contact details directly on here, or if I can ask the admin. to hand my email address to you, or ..... I'm happy to share my info with you.

K Hodgkinson

Hi Everyone, a quick question. I've heard there is a monument to those who died on the Waterloo in Cape Town. Can someone give more information, such is is the monument at Table Mountain etc. A precise location or a photo would be great! TIA Kathryn

Quote Originally Posted by K Hodgkinson View Post
    Hi Courtney F. John Clifford was was also a G-G-Grandfather of mine. I can't remember if I can give you my contact details directly on here, or if I can ask the admin. to hand my email address to you, or ..... I'm happy to share my info with you.
    Click on Courtney.F's username (top left) and select Private Message. This will enable you to share your e-mail without others seeing it.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Martin Ager

Default Plaque Showing Waterloo Wreck

I do not know of there is a memorial to those who died on the Waterloo but one of the information plaques on the top of Table Mountain shows the locations of a number of wrecks in the area. Perhaps my Great Great Grand Uncle, Captain Henry Ager was not so negligent in allowing his ship to be wrecked, it seems that it was not a safe anchorage.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi there, just found this lovely website. I am tracing family tree and think my 4x great uncle was on the Waterloo. He was sentenced to life to Tasmania. Was wondering if anybody could guide me in how I could follow up this info. His name was William Watkins and set sail in 1842. I think he married and started a new life
    Thanks
    Pam

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Taffia View Post
    Hi there, just found this lovely website. I am tracing family tree and think my 4x great uncle was on the Waterloo. He was sentenced to life to Tasmania. Was wondering if anybody could guide me in how I could follow up this info. His name was William Watkins and set sail in 1842. I think he married and started a new life
    Thanks
    Pam
    Hi Pam,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

There are people who are much better qualified than me to help you find out more about William's life in Australia, but I'm fairly certain they will be asking you the same questions as I'm about to.
    What do you already know about him? Where and when was he born? What crime(s) did he commit and where and when? What makes you think your William is the one who was on the Waterloo?

Newspaper reports exist for William Watkins committing crimes circa 1841/1842, but I haven't read them to find out whether they're the same person or two (or more!) people with the same name.

(another) Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Brick wall demolition expert!

Some initial help for you with William Watkins:

https://www.hawkesbury.net.au/claima...nvictId=111657

https://linctas.ent.sirsidynix.net.a...ts%09Convicts#

The 2nd link is to the Tasmanian Archives or Names Index. You will see that there were a number of convicts with the same name, but scroll down to the 1842 one and click on that and you will find a number of original records that you can look at on line free of charge.

In terms of the UK criminal records Find my past has the best ones, but Ancestry also has some which are slightly different although I haven't checked either site for your ancestor, but l just know the generic position from my own research.

Finally you can also try searching on Trove which is the Australian National Archives free historic newspaper site.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

William Watkins was born about 1815 in Much Birch, Herefordshire. His parents were William and Ann, with brothers Thomas and Daniel. He received a life sentence in 1842 and was sent to Australia that year. He eventually married Rosanna Forster in Hobart,
    Tasmania in 1852.

Am fairly new to this family research. I think am on the right track. As my 4x Ggrandad was a Thomas Watkins from Much Birch. Have no idea why he was sentenced. Thank you so much for the info already recieved
    Pam

Brick wall demolition expert!

You are coŕrect that William Watkins was on the Waterloo when it was shipwrecked and that he survived and was sent on to VDL (Tasmania).

I have looked at a few of the records and can tell you that it appears that he was either bad and /or daft or unlucky. It would seem that:

1 Jan 1841 he was found guilty of larceny and sentenced to 3 months

31 Mar 1841 he was found guilty of sheep stealing and sentenced to 18 months. At the end of 1841 the sentenced was remitted (effectively pardoned) due to certain information being passed to the authorities.

30 Mar 1842 he was found guilty of "robbery in company before convicted of felony", and sentenced to transportation for life. This the first time I have seen the expression "robbery in company".

So far the records I have quoted from have come from Findmypast, but if you go Ancestry you will find the Gloucestershire prison records which show him being admitted to the county gaol on 13 Oct 1841 for a robbery that he and a David Jones were later found guilty of in March 1842. They stole money from a woman. I am confused by this because I thought in Oct 1841 he was already inside for sheep stealing.

Following his conviction in March 1842 on 14 April he was ordered to be sent to the prison hulk Justitia moored at Woolwich, and from there he was sent to the Waterloo on 26 May.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast