Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    CRIPES

OK..here it is...make of it what you will....but remember!

THIS IS ROUGH! ..so no complaints!

-----------------

Ingelramus De Gourlay b: c1140
    Ingelram de Gurley 1140

Children:
    son Hugo de Gurley
    son Hugh de Gourlay 1165, Kincraig, Inverness, Scotland

William de Gourlay
    son of above Hugh de Gourlay b.1194, grandson of Ingelram de Gurley.
    son of above Hugh de Gourlay b.1225 d.1290
    great-grandson, William de Gourlay of Balgally

sons of above William de Gourlay d.c1290, Hugh de Gourlay (steward to the Earl of Dunbar)

son above William, William de Gourlay. Died in the reign of King Robert the Bruce

son of above William, Simon de Gourlay, who became coroner of Fife.
    Simon de Gourlay, m.Elizabeth Alderston ( daughter and heiress of John Alderston)

sons of Simon, John and William. (John, the elder son. died young and unmarried)

Sons of above William, John and William.
    John Gourlay m.daughter of Sir Walter Bickerton (Dying without surviving issue)

son of above William, Alexander Gourlay m. Margaret Lauder
    Alexander & Margaret

son of above, John Gourlay

son of above John, John Gourlay
    John Gourlay m. Elizabeth Abercrombie in 1443

sons of above John and Alexander.(Alex, appointed bailie of his barony of Alderston.7th January, 1467 by brother John)
    John As " John Gourlay of Kincraig," m. Margaret Monypenny of Pitmilly

son of above John, Alexander.
    Alexander Gourlay, m. Helen Cockburn.

children of above, William & Margaret.
    Margaret.m. Patrick Blackadder.
    William m. Janet Forman. Also married Janet Kellie, he died in or prior to 1560.

son of William, Alexander Gourlay (died 1600) m .Janet Scott (she died 1607)
    sons of Alex & Janet
    Thomas and William
    William m. Elizabeth Balfour
    Thomas m.Barbara Paterson of Dunmure.
    Thomas died Feb1627.
    Thomas & Barbara had son William.

William m. Jean Macgill of Nether Rankeillor.1st April, 1609.

children of above, Thomas, Janet.
    Janet m. William Duddingston of Sandford.
    Thomas As " Sir Thomas Gourley of Kincraig, Knight," m. Janet Bruce.

children of Thomas & Janet
    sons: Thomas and John
    daughters:Jane and Margaret.
    Jane, elder daughter, married, 26th June, 1656, Robert Lentrone, Provost of St. Andrews, had son, James, baptized 23d April, 1657.
    Margaret, second daughter, was baptized on the 12th March, 1642. Married, 28th December, 1665, Nathaniel Spens of Lathallan. They had son Thomas.
    John, younger son of Sir Thomas Gourlay, studied medicine, first at Edinburgh, and afterwards in Paris; he, there after, practiced as a physician at Elie, in Fife. In 1660 he married Margaret, daughter of Dr. Sharp, physician in Edinburgh.. On the occasion of his marriage, he received from his father a small portion of the Alderston estate." He died in 1667, leaving two daughters, Margaret and Helen." Thomas, the elder son, died in 1661, predeceasing his father. He married, 24th July, 1657, Margaret, daughter of William Forbes, younger of Rires. by whom he had three sons sons and also a daughter Margaret, who married first, her cousin, Thomas Spens of Lathallan; and secondly, the Rev. Hew Kemp, minister at Dunfermline.
    ------------------------------------------

OK...I shall post updates as I sort them...I hope...but it is something for folks to go on.

CRIPES

Default Update

I had read somewhere that Ingelramus's father was named.

Thomas de Gourlay,and came from Ireland.

I don't see this as being true..as I believe his fathers name was possibly Hugh...but!...
    as yet...Im still researching.

Also....there are links between the noble family of The Conquerors time and family on my mothers side.!

So I am linked on both side of my family!...hence my interest.

CRIPES

Default With a few more details.

Ingelramus De Gourlay b: c1140, aslo known as, Ingelram de Gurley 1140
    Children:
    son Hugo de Gurley ( maybe one and the same as below)
    son Hugh de Gourlay 1165, Kincraig, Inverness, Scotland
    William de Gourlay
    son of above Hugh de Gourlay b.1194, grandson of Ingelram de Gurley.
    son of above Hugh de Gourlay b.1225 d.1290
    great-grandson, William de Gourlay of Balgally
    sons of above William de Gourlay d.c1290, Hugh de Gourlay (steward to the Earl of Dunbar)
    son above William, William de Gourlay. Died in the reign of King Robert the Bruce
    son of above William, Simon de Gourlay, who became coroner of Fife.
    Simon de Gourlay, m.Elizabeth Alderston ( daughter and heiress of John Alderston), c1342, Kincraig, Inverness, Scotland.
    sons of Simon, John and William. (John, the elder son. died young and unmarried)
    Sons of above William, John and William.
    John Gourlay m.daughter of Sir Walter Bickerton (Dying without surviving issue), c1404, Kincraig, Inverness, Scotland.
    son of above William, Alexander Gourlay m. Margaret Lauder
    Alexander & Margaret
    son of above, John Gourlay
    son of above John, John Gourlay
    John Gourlay m. Elizabeth Abercrombie c1443, Kincraig, Inverness, Scotland.
    sons of above John and Alexander.(Alex, appointed bailie of his barony of Alderston.7th January, 1467 by brother John)
    John As " John Gourlay of Kincraig," m. Margaret Monypenny of Pitmilly, c1480, Kincraig, Inverness, Scotland.
    son of above John, Alexander.
    Alexander Gourlay, born c1481, Kincraig, Inverness, Scotland. m. Helen Cockburn. c1504, Kincraig, Inverness, Scotland.
    children of above, William & Margaret.
    Margaret de Gourlay m. Patrick Blackadder.13.04.1542 Dunaff, Donegal, Ireland.
    Patrick being born c.1517.Dunaff, Donegal, Ireland.
    William m. Janet Forman. around 1530 ,Kincraig, Inverness, Scotland
    He Also married Janet Kellie, he was born, around 1505, died in or prior to 1560.
    son of William, Alexander Gourlay (died c1600) m .Janet Scott, 06.08.1579, Kincraig, Inverness, Scotland. (she died 1607)
    sons of Alex & Janet
    Thomas and William
    William m. Elizabeth Balfour
    Thomas m.Barbara Paterson of Dunmure. 15.02.1587.
    Thomas died Feb1627.
    Thomas & Barbara had son William.
    William m. Jean Macgill of Nether Rankeillor.1st April, 1609.
    children of above, Thomas, Janet.
    Janet m. William Duddingston of Sandford. c1629.
    Thomas As " Sir Thomas Gourley of Kincraig, Knight," m. Janet Bruce. c1631.
    children of Thomas & Janet
    sons: Thomas and John
    daughters:Jane and Margaret.
    Jane, elder daughter, married, 26th June, 1656, Robert Lentrone, Provost of St. Andrews, had son, James, baptized 23d April, 1657.
    Margaret, second daughter, was baptized on the 12th March, 1642. Married, 28th December, 1665, Nathaniel Spens of Lathallan. They had son Thomas.
    John, younger son of Sir Thomas Gourlay, studied medicine, first at Edinburgh, and afterwards in Paris; he, there after, practiced as a physician at Elie, in Fife. In 1660 he married Margaret, daughter of Dr. Sharp, physician in Edinburgh.. On the occasion of his marriage, he received from his father a small portion of the Alderston estate." He died in 1667, leaving two daughters, Margaret and Helen." Thomas, the elder son, died in 1661, predeceasing his father. He married, 24th July, 1657, Margaret, daughter of William Forbes, younger of Rires. by whom he had three sons sons and also a daughter Margaret, who married first, her cousin, Thomas Spens of Lathallan; and secondly, the Rev. Hew Kemp, minister at Dunfermline.

CRIPES

Default Before Ingelarmus.

Ok...for those who are interested...... here is the line as I have it... BEFORE..Ingelramus.

He does not appear..hence trying to see where is SHOULD be...
    But as the spelling of the name varies....I can't place him..

Its probably a case of .."can't see the wood for the trees".

But I believe he was the son of Hugh de Gournay IV....hence why I say that in other post.

--------------------------------------------------

Eudes (Odon) de Gournay - was born about 0860, lived in Denmark and died in 0912 .

Child

Renauld de Gournay was born after 0912 in Gourney-en-Bray, Normandy, France.

Son of Above:

Sire Hugh de Gournay I was born about 0960 in Gourney-en-Bray, Normandy, France and died after 0990 .

Son of Above:

Sire Hugh de Gournay II was born about 0998 in Gourney-en-Bray, Normandy, France and died in 1074 .
    Sire Hugh - was at killed at Battle of Mortemer in 1054 against King Henri I of France.

Son of Above:

Hugh de Gournay III was born about 1026 in Gourney-en-Bray, Normandy, France and died after 1074 .

Hugh married Bastia Flaitel. Bastia was born about 1025, lived in Linton, Herefordshire, England. She was the daughter of Gerald Flaitel and daughter d'Evereux. She died in 1099 .

Son of Above:

Sire Gerard de Gournay was born about 1060 in Gourney, Normandy, France and died about 1098 in First Crusade, Holy Land .

Sire Gerard married Editha de Warenne. Editha was born about 1060 in Surry, Sussex, England. She is the daughter of William de Warenne I and Princess Gundred of England.

Son of Above:

Hugh de Gournay IV was born about 1090 and died in 1155 .
    Hugh married Beatrix de Vermandois. Beatrix was born about 1090. She died about 1144 .

Hugh-Sire of Gournet-en-Bray.

Son of Above:

Sire Hugh de Gournay IV was born about 1107 in Gourney, Normandy, France and died in 1180 .
    Sire Hugh married Melisende de Coucy. Melisende was born about 1126 in Boves, Somme, France. She is the daughter of Thomas de Coucy and Melisende de Crecy.

Son of Above:

Hugh de Gournay V was born about 1148 in Caister, Norfolk, England.
    Hugh married Juliana de Mello. Juliana was born about 1168 in Dammertin, France. She is the daughter of Count Aubrey II de Dammartin and Mathilda de Ponthieu.
    Hugh - Lord of Gournai.

Children of Above:

Anseln de Gournay was born about 1180.
    Anseln married Eve Fitzrobert. Eve was born about 1185.

Agnes de Dammartin (de Gournay) was born about 1166.Buckingham, England.
    Agnes maried William de Fiennes was born about 1160 Mertock, Buckingham, England.

Child of Anseln:

Robert de Gournay was born about 1205, lived in Gloucestershire, England and died in 1269 .
    Robert - Lord of Beverstone.

Child of Agnes:

Enguerrand(Ingelram) de Fiennes. b.c1192,Buckingham, England

Son of Robert:

Anseln de Gournay was born about 1225, lived in Gloucestershire, England.
    Anseln - - Lord of Beaverstone.

Son of Above:

John de Gournay was born about 1247 and died in 1291 .
    John married Oliva Lovell. Oliva , lived in Castle Carey, Somerset, England.

Daughter of Above:

Elizabeth de Gournay was born about 1272 in Tildenham, Cone, Gloucestershire, England and died in 1311 .
    Elizabeth married John Ap Adam of Beaverstone. John was born about 1270, lived in Beaverstone and Tildenham, Gloucestershire, England.

Sire meaning Sir. as in Knight.

CRIPES

Default Edith de Warenne

Edith de Warenne is the link to William the Conqueror.

Her mother, Gundred de Normandie, was William the C's daughter.

Correct me if I am wrong...but I'm sure it is correct.

CRIPES

Right..I have to go out soon...but shall look in later so as to see if anyone has made a comment on what I have posted.

Hope you find this as interesting as I have .

CRIPES

Default Basile Flaitel

Hugh was Basile's 2nd husband after 1st husband Rauol of Gace.
    Lived at Castle of Eccouche, near Falaise, Normandy as well as living in Linton, Herefordshire, England.

I assume this is where she lived before coming to England.

John Gourlay

DearPaul

Thanks for this. It will keep me studying for quite some time. Another correspondent advised me of the Gournay, Viking link, recently.

I'll probably be back with some questions, later.

regards
    John Gourlay

CRIPES

Hi John,

No probs.
    It benefits me also.

Searching through the lines has been an adventure!

With completing the link back to Ingelramus..it should make conecting to other Gourlay families a little easier. As once they make a connection to what is basically the main Gourlay family trunk...finding where we assume ALL other Gourlay's should link could really build the definitive Gourlay tree.
    This will benifit ALL Gourlays no matter where they are!.

Plus folks with links to the Gourlay name will also be able to tie into the truck and link to other families they already have, but didn't know may also be connected to both them and the Gourlays.

It's a rather an exciting prospect.!

I still have not been abkle to link my partners Gourlays to the main trunk...but I feel I'm not far off doing so. This will be fantastic for me as I can then merge Linda's tree with mine and make my research a whole lot easier!.

I hope you will find what I have posted as useful.....I can't garentee the accuracy..as alot of the info I looked at varies...but it is something to be going on with and will hopfully give clues to who goes where.

I hope to make a link to "Sir George Bruce, Culross" who is buried in Culross Abbey. Linda is going to a wedding there soon and I believe we are both linked to him. And so would be nice to confirm it before she goes. Will make a great talking point.!

We have visited the Abbey to check it out before the wedding. And as soon as I saw the info there regards Sir George and his family..I just knew there was a very good possibity I was related..and so possibly Linda.

In the cemetry next to the Abbey were grave stone containing names of people who I know believe I am already related. And they maybe the origins of the name Leuchars.

I believe these people are related to Sir George..hence why they are buried there. If my hunch is right, then I am indeed related.

Considering I started out knowing pretty much nothing about my familes past...and hoping I might find a link back to scotland, where I now live. I could have NEVER imagined I would be related to "King Robert the Bruce".
    Probably the most famous Scot to ever live!....lol...

It has been a truely astonishing! journey. And I am so glad I have made the effort to trace my families past.

CRIPES

Default Oliver Gourlay.

Dont forget,

Oliver Gourlay who's family is enscribed on the top of Ingelramus's tomb, is also linked.

They are the family linked to Robert Gourlay who went to Canada.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast