ROYGBIV

Default Looking for family of George Scott

Hi

I am searching for ancestors of my wife's family. George Scott (born in Eccles in 1848) and married to Margaret Young. I have printed a marriage extract from Scotland's people which lists his father as William Scott.

His mother's name appears to be Hannah Brennan (deceased). We are unable to find any other info regarding her. My other query is regarding the entry of her name. All other listings we have seen on similar extracts show the mother's married name followed by her maiden name underneath. This record only shows her maiden name. Does this indicate that they were not married? We have not been able to find a marriage of George Scott and Hannah Brennan.

Any help would be appreciated.

Roy

Davran

Roy, have you any census info for the family? If George was born in Eccles, Hannah may well have been English. Do we know when William came south of the border?

ROYGBIV

Hi Davran

I have Census info for George after he was married. Three census years had him born in three different places. 1871 census listed as Eccles, Berwickshire; 1881 census listed as Laughton, Berwickshire; 1891 census listed as Soudon, Roxborough. George and margaret had about 9 children and they match up from census to census, so i am not sure why his birthplace changed from census to census.

I cannot locate George in any pre marriage census, and therefore have no census info for William.

Cheers

Roy

Quote Originally Posted by ROYGBIV View Post
    Hi

I am searching for ancestors of my wife's family. George Scott (born in Eccles in 1848) and married to Margaret Young. I have printed a marriage extract from Scotland's people which lists his father as William Scott.

His mother's name appears to be Hannah Brennan (deceased). We are unable to find any other info regarding her. My other query is regarding the entry of her name. All other listings we have seen on similar extracts show the mother's married name followed by her maiden name underneath. This record only shows her maiden name. Does this indicate that they were not married? We have not been able to find a marriage of George Scott and Hannah Brennan.

Any help would be appreciated.

Roy
    On the marriage cert, what sort of church does it say they were married according to?

Try and find George in the 1851 census, and see who he was living with. If the parents weren't married, he would normally be using his mother's surname (although sometime the father's name was used, it's not a fast rule). Unless his mother died at his birth, she should also be in the household, and you'll then have info about her age & birth parish.

People WERE pretty sloppy about their census replies - I know of people who aged 7 or 14 years in the 10 years between censuses, for example.

Watch out for the SP search engine - it's very literal. If, for example, someone gave her name as Anna on some registration, and you only searched Hannah, she wouldn't turn up.

Lesley

ROYGBIV

Thanks for the help.

George and Margaret wer married in the Established Church of Scotland.

I also found a John Scott as a witness, so I am trying a few different angles, including looking for George Scott and George Brennan in both Scotland and England census, as well as John Scott living with George or William. No luck yet, however.

I appreciate the suggestions, thoughts, etc as it has made me think of new areas and angles to try.

Quote Originally Posted by ROYGBIV View Post
    Thanks for the help.

George and Margaret wer married in the Established Church of Scotland.

I also found a John Scott as a witness, so I am trying a few different angles, including looking for George Scott and George Brennan in both Scotland and England census, as well as John Scott living with George or William. No luck yet, however.

I appreciate the suggestions, thoughts, etc as it has made me think of new areas and angles to try.

The fact that Scott is one of the most common names on the Border isn't going to help! You have my sympathy.
    How good is the handwriting on that certificate? Could Hannah's name be anything else? In your place, I would check his death cert (assuming that he died in Scotland) to confirm his parents.
    Lesley