Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ROYGBIV

Default Looking for Patrick / Jarvie from Kilsyth

Hi

I am researching my wife's grandfather's family from Kilsyth.
    His name was James Patrick, born in 1881, son of James and Margaret (nee Linnen).
    We have recently discoverd James was married to a Ellen Jarvie in 1902 (children Jeanie, Margaret, James and Ellen) before he came o Australia in 1927. The Patrick family ran a fruit shop in Main Street, Kilsyth.

We cannot seem to find any evidence as to whether he divorced Ellen, or if she died before he came to Australia.

Any help would be appreciated.

Roy

Quote Originally Posted by ROYGBIV View Post
    Hi

I am researching my wife's grandfather's family from Kilsyth.
    His name was James Patrick, born in 1881, son of James and Margaret (nee Linnen).
    We have recently discoverd James was married to a Ellen Jarvie in 1902 (children Jeanie, Margaret, James and Ellen) before he came o Australia in 1927. The Patrick family ran a fruit shop in Main Street, Kilsyth.

We cannot seem to find any evidence as to whether he divorced Ellen, or if she died before he came to Australia.

Any help would be appreciated.

Roy
    Where have you looked?
    If they divorced in Scotland, when you look at the marriage cert on Scotlands People, it should offer you a Register of Corrected Entries entry which says that the marriage ended in divorce. If she died in Scotland, SP should have her death cert. Since women are listed by both married and single surnames, can can be searched as such, she'd be quite easy to find.
    Lesley

Mary Young

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    If they divorced in Scotland, when you look at the marriage cert on Scotlands People, it should offer you a Register of Corrected Entries entry which says that the marriage ended in divorce.
    Lesley
    I have a vague recollection that Divorces weren't noted in the RCE before 1926 ... But don't quote me!

ROYGBIV

I have searched through deaths at SP using Patrick & Jarvie as sunames and using Ellen and Helen as forename (seperate searches). The only match I can find with correct ages is a Helen Patrick who died in 1980 aged 99. The problem is there is no image to view.

I also have found searches on SP list "Not Permissable" in some of the columns (i.e.mother's surname), Is this because they are not available or are they suppressed for a reason?

We have also discovered that my wife's grandmother Sophia Scott whom he married in Australia) burnt all his papers, photos, etc after he died. We are now thinking she may have discovered a secret past and destroyed all evidence.

Perhaps I should repost this in Black Sheep!

Hugh Thompson

Hello Roy,even 'tho I don't think this entry has anything at all to do with your search the names make for an interesting coincidence.
    Do you know the names of Ellen's parents?
    Hugh.
    Deaths NSW.BDM.

Registration Number Last Name Given Name(s) Father's Given Name(s) ....Mother's Given Name(s) ........ District
    214/1931 ...............JARVIE........ ELLEN................PATRICK .....................CAROLINE ............................ SYDNEY

ROYGBIV

Hi Hugh

Ellen's parents were Walter Jarvie (coal miner) and Jeanie Horn(e)

Quote Originally Posted by ROYGBIV View Post
    I have searched through deaths at SP using Patrick & Jarvie as sunames and using Ellen and Helen as forename (seperate searches). The only match I can find with correct ages is a Helen Patrick who died in 1980 aged 99. The problem is there is no image to view.

I also have found searches on SP list "Not Permissable" in some of the columns (i.e.mother's surname), Is this because they are not available or are they suppressed for a reason?

We have also discovered that my wife's grandmother Sophia Scott whom he married in Australia) burnt all his papers, photos, etc after he died. We are now thinking she may have discovered a secret past and destroyed all evidence.

Perhaps I should repost this in Black Sheep!
    The "no image" and "not permissible" messages come up when a record is too young to provide details on line. You can buy a hard copy from GROS or get someone to visit New Register House to check it for you (or indeed go there yourself). I believe Scots Origins does a lookup service, you'll have to check their website for rates.
    There's a "what's in the database" section on the website.

BTW, I care for a small museum at work, looking after the papers of our first 3 Professors. The collection suffers greatly because the sister of the first Prof burned all of his papers that were in their house after his death - to quote a letter from her to his successor "because nobody would be interested in them so they're just clutter". She also said that she wouldn't want people reading her letters and didn't think her brother would, either. We have those letters because the 2nd Prof threw NOTHING away! It doesn't have to be sinister - just clearing up after a death.

Lesley

jhjarvie

Default Elllen Patrick - Surname Patrick

Ellen's parents were indeed Walter Jarvie Walter Jarvie (1850-1926)
    and Jean Horn (1855-1892), Helen/Ellen (She was known as Nel) was born in 1880 and died in a nursing home in 1980 aged 100, she is buried in Kilsyth Cemetery.

Helen was my great grandfather's sister and was divorced from James Patrick early in the 1900's however she still retained the name Patrick (Which is on her grave stone).

She is mentioned on my Jarvie web site https://www.jarviefamily.bravehost.co...tm#chartcentre

I have photos of Nel and her grave if you wish these.
    Regards
    Jim Horne Jarvie

ROYGBIV

Thanks Jim

The information has been very helpful. It helps to fill a couple of gaps in our research, and perhaps gives some insight into why my wife's grandfather may have come to Australia.

Roy

joette

She reached a hundred what an achievement.I have a few long -livers but none so far have made it to the hundred mark.Stayed in Kilsyth too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast