Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BMD in France

Reft

Default BMD in France

I have been looking for a birth and marriage records for a Margauritta Maria Chapont, born Paris France about 1878, possible marriage to a Foster in France about 1897, give or take a couple of years. Can anybody explain to someone like myself with no knowledge of the French language, how to research French Records. Happy New Year Everybody.

Richard

Jan1954

Hello Richard,

Have a look at this Beginner's Guide to researching your French family history.

If it comes to the point that something needs to be translated, I know that there are a number of members who speak French and who may be able to help.

Happy New Year!

MartinM

Hi Richard,
    I'm in France, and have used the Paris archives, which are excellent.

Do you know which 'arrondisment' your ancestor was born or married in? Archives are kept in the Mairie or town hall for all civil records, for 100 years. After this time Paris records are transferred to a central Paris archive, but it helps if you know the original arrondisment.

One word of caution.. many Paris records were destroyed by fire around a hundred years ago, and there are some gaps. However, if your records exist they are very complete and will give you much detailed information regarding the families of your ancestor and spouse.

If you need addresses or anything translated, please don't hesitate, I'll be happy to help.

Martin

Reft

Default BMD France

Thank you Jan, interesting site, appears to be very useful.

Richard

Reft

Thumbs up BMD France

Hi Martin,
    Unfortunately, I don't have her complete place of birth. It is a bit complicated, have only found her on the 1911 census, married the Henry James Craker in Harrow, Middlesex, England, aged 33, born Paris, France. We believe she could have been married before to a Foster. Two Step Children, oldest born in Paris, France, Archibald Foster, aged 11, and Step Daughter, Cicely Foster aged 8. born Harrow. Though would like to keep contact with you for future reference, if anything new crops up, thanks Martin.

Richard

MartinM

No problem, the offer is open to all.

Martin

pottoka

Smile Consular registers

Have you tried looking up Archibald Foster in the GRO Consular Birth Indices1849-1965 on findmypast? His birth may have been registered at a Consulate - all the more so if he was born in Paris - to make sure he got British nationality.

Reft

Default French BMD

Hi Pottoka,
    Thanks for the suggestion, I have just been and checked, and found nothing, put it could still be useful for future reference.

Richard

pottoka

Wink Being pedantic ...

Quote Originally Posted by MartinM View Post
    One word of caution.. many Paris records were destroyed by fire around a hundred years ago, and there are some gaps. However, if your records exist they are very complete and will give you much detailed information regarding the families of your ancestor and spouse.
    The Paris Archives website says: "all the Parish Registers of baptisms, marriages and burials, recorded before 1792, and all the Registry Office records drawn up before 1859 in the former 12 Parisian arrondissements and in the suburb parishes fully annexed in 1860, were lost in May 1871 in fires which devastated the Archives of the Seine and the Paris Law Courts. It is estimated that some eight million records were destroyed."

This means, Richard, that your records of around 1878 and 1897 would not have been touched - if they are there. I've posted a request for a look-up for you at the Paris Archives with a list of volunteers. It might take some time, but keep your fingers crossed!

pottoka

Smile English BMDs

Have you got the marriage certificate for Marguerite and Henry James Craker? I was wondering what her maiden name and status (single/widowed) were on the certificate. Presumably Mr Foster died in England some time after the birth of Cicely, and her mother remarried, but I can't find a marriage reference.

There is a birth reference to a Violet Cicely Foster, born Jul-Aug-Sep 1902 in Hendon, Middlesex (vol 3a, page 221); she is the only Cicely Foster born in Hendon R.D. at the right time. Her birth certificate (you could put a reference check on it for her mother to be Marguerite) would give you her father's full name and occupation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast