Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BMD in France

Reft

Default French BMD

Hi Pottoka,
    Thank you for all your help so far and I have everything crossed for the rest. We have the birth certificate of Violet Cicely Foster and it is the one, father Arthur William Foster, died Oct, Nov, Dec quarter of 1901 aged 37, Builder's Foreman, we believe possibly also born in France. Found that Margueritte married to Henry Craker around 1904, but found only one Henry on Free BMD, waiting for Certificate.
    Also have the1911 census, married 7 years with 5 of their own children, oldest vera 6 years old and two step children Cicely 8, born 1902, and Archibald Foster, 11 years old, born Paris, France. So, we are assuming they were married in Paris, France around 1895-1899, no records in Britain. We also know, that Margueritte re-married again in 1929 and have the marriage certificate, saying her father was Emile Chapont from Paris, France.

Again, thak you for all your help,

Richard

kcapes

Default Re- French records

Hello Martin
    Sorry to but in my step-fathers father disappeared between 1920-1929 when he re-appears to marry in London, he never talked much about his life I know he joined the navy as a boy but was invalided out about 1920. Only thing he ever said was he lived in France and worked possibly for Thomas Cook ( they have no record) he spoke fluent French, would ther be any records of him working, tax etc. Any help would be great
    Kim

pottoka

Unhappy Not very good news

Hi, Reft,
    A search of the Paris Archives has thrown up the birth of a Marguerite Marie Julie Chapont in 1874, but her father's name was Pierre Marie François Chapont, so it doesn't look as though it's the right person. There are no marriages between a Chapont and a Foster between 1893 and 1903.
    Given the lack of a Foster marriage, the volunteer put Archibald's birth on one side until I got back to her as I will later today.

However, it does rather look as though Marguerite was born in one of the outlying towns or villages around Paris, and put Paris as her place of birth as the British enumerator would recognise it. It's strange that she wasn't more precise on the 1911 Census. We'll just have to hope that this is not the case with Archibald.

Reft

Default French BMD

Hi Pottoka,
    Apologies, for not replying sooner, been very busy with Gwnet FHS stuff (Membership Secretary), new year, membership renewals etc. What can I say, thank you for all you have done so far, does not seem enough. I accept it's not great news in finding Marguerite, but we have moved forward in a way, by counting out Paris itself, yes means even more slow progress on our part, but not knowing how the French system works, would have taken a lot longer to get this far. So. I thank you and cross my fingers in hope of discovering something through Archibald. As for the little information on 1911 census, Henry probably filled in the form and picked easiest way to do it.

Richard

pottoka

Unhappy Bad news

Céline has continued looking for records since I last posted and has finally written to say that she has come up with nothing, I'm afraid. In the twenty arrondissements of Paris, she has found two Marguerite Marie Chaponts, one born in 1873 and one born in 1882, but neither of them to an Emile, so between the father's name being wrong and the date being way out, I think we can presume that neither are yours.

There is also no Chapont / Foster marriage in the twenty arrondissements of Paris. It would thus appear that the family lived in the suburbs, and, without more detailed information about the place, it would be extremely difficult and time-consuming, given the French system, to look for them.

During her research, Céline did come across an English Foster in Paris: single, aged 42, born in Ramsholt in Suffolk to John Foster and Charlotte Hubbard, he died in Paris in 1895. As he doesn't seem to link up to your Fosters, I'll put him on the "Strays" page.

Reft

Hi Pottoka,
    Please accept my deepest apologies for not getting back sooner, I have been busy taking care of mother (Vascular Dementia), she just had the start of her 90th birthday parties, yes I said parties, also she never suffer's with an hangover (pints of Bitter, Yorkshire woman). I did not really realise the amount of work people will go to on this site, I am blown away and really do apprieciate everybodies help, without doubt the best site on the web. I will try and dig out more information, but again thank Pottoka and special thanks to Celine for all your hard work, will try and visit more often.

Richard

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Richard,
    Much time has passed since this original thread but I wanted to take a chance to see if there would be a response to my message. Recently I found out some information about my family, my great grandfather was a sibling of Archibald and Violet Cicely Foster but was put up for adoption at Barnardo's Home for Boys. His name was Robert Leslie Foster born in 1901. I would like a chance to communicate with you about your relationship with this family. Please reach out if you are still following this thread. Thank you.

Lindsey

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum, Lindsey. I see that you have noticed how old this thread is. Unfortunately, its other problem is that none of the previous participants are still members (you can see that from the tag "guest" under their names). That means that we no longer have their contact info and can't notify them of your reply, and should they return as a guest, they can't post a reply.

All is not lost, there may be others who either see a connection or can help you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12