Inez Reed

Default Walter McFarlane Scotland to NB, Canada

My earliest McFarlane ancestor was a Walter McFarlane b. abt 1753, Bonhill, Dunbartonshire, Scotland. First wife Elizabeth marrying prior to enlistment with the 74th Argyll Highland Regiment. He mustered out at St. Andrews, NB in the 1780s. Would anyone have any reference to this individual?

Best wishes,

Inez

Inez Reed

By way of follow up, an entry for Walter McFarlane was finally found in a list of injured and infirm soldiers of the 74th Regiment (WO 120, Vol. 17) that was dated 8 June 1784. Walter was 32 (b.abt. 1752) years old in 1784 and his place of birth was listed as Dumbarton. An obituary published in the St. Croix Courier on 2 July 1833 listed his age as 80 (b. 1853). Cutting to the chase, I've found a baptismal record for him in the Parish of Luss. If anyone is working with McFarlane families in Luss (or Rhu/Row/Rue), please drop me a line.

Cheers,

Inez

Inez Reed

Default Correction

Walter was born in 1753 to Donald McFarlane and Margaret McFarlane (OPR). Again, working with this or other McFarlanes in the Luss or Rhu area, please drop me a line.

Inez