Catherine N

Smile Coppersmiths in London?

Is anyone else researching Coppersmiths in London? My ancestor, Francis Tomkins was born c 1802 in London I'm assuming? I can't positively identify his baptism, which is why I need to find out if the coppersmiths had a guild/livery company in London. I have found mention of a 'Friendly Society of Workers in Copper', but that only started in 1846. They have since amalgamated with other trade unions several times and I've lost track of what they're called now! I got as far as the 'Union of Sheet Metal Workers', but they don't appear to have a website under that name.

Francis died 2 weeks before the 1851 census would have told me where he was born, but he married in Christchurch Southwark and his children were baptised in St Andrews Holborn and All Hallows By The Wall, so the family were living in the City c1820's. Does anyone know if any of the City churches are associated with metal workers? It might narrow my search for Francis' baptism.

I have sent an email to the Guildhall Library in London to see if they can assist, but in the meantime, can anyone else help?

Thank you!

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Catherine N View Post
    he married in Christchurch Southwark
    Are there any clues in the parish marriage register?

winninboy

Hi there,

I am in the same position as you. I have found a James Fraser born 1775 in Stepney, married 1800, who is listed as "Engineer and Coppersmith" in his 1818 Patent for a piece of kitchen equipment.

Did you ever find a Guild or Worshipful Company of Coppersmiths? I have taken the same route as you by writing to the Guildhall (c/o the Metropolitan Archive) and am awaiting their answer.

Then I found your letter and wondered if you had had any success!

Regards,

Terry Humphrey

david64

There is a catalogue of their records here:

https://dscalm.warwick.ac.uk/DServe/d...sqItem=NSC.pdf

Mutley

Welcome to the forum David64.

Unfortunately, neither Catherine N or winninboy bothered to return to the thread to find out if they had replies.
    They are still members of the forum, though do not post. Maybe they will see and note your answer.

However, your link may be useful to others researching coppersmiths so
    thank you.

daisy7

I am new to this site having only just foiuund it. This is interesting though I dont think I can help much My ancestors back to the 1790 s as far as I can establish were coppersmiths living around St Andrew's Holborn and drifting via Eagle street to Islington. In the family were "tin plate makers" ( Enamelled plates) . The youngsters were apprenticed to their fathers from the age of ten but in later years I notice a Henry had gone to the "new" job of making wiring in a factory for the telegraph engineering company of 'Gutta Pertcha' . I get lost around 1800 though and would love to trace the familys from there