Thread: Surname search

moonlightdrive

Default Surname search

Iam trying find information on my dads family from Belfast with the surnames McClure and Herron.

I have also been researching my Dads uncle Leading Aircraftman Chistopher Thomas McClure who was serving in 502 Sqdn and was killed when his Avro Anson crashed in a snowstorm in the Rhyl/Prestatyn area while returning to RAF Aldergrove on the 19th January 1940.

Over the last year we have been trying to find the location of the crash as my Dad who is in his late seventies is keen to visit the site.

Any help on where to start looking would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jan1954

As there is a similar thread running on the WW2 forum for Moonlightdrive's query about the air crash, please post any answers there.

Moonlightdrive - have you checked out the Lennon Wylie website for your McClures and Herrons in Belfast?

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by moonlightdrive View Post
    Iam trying find information on my dads family from Belfast with the surnames McClure and Herron.

I have also been researching my Dads uncle Leading Aircraftman Chistopher Thomas McClure who was serving in 502 Sqdn and was killed when his Avro Anson crashed in a snowstorm in the Rhyl/Prestatyn area while returning to RAF Aldergrove on the 19th January 1940.

Over the last year we have been trying to find the location of the crash as my Dad who is in his late seventies is keen to visit the site.

Any help on where to start looking would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Hello - I have Donegal connections to McClure/Knox/Herron any chance of a connection? If yes PM me. JOHNGILBERT

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello JOHNGILBERT,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

I don't know if you noticed the date of this thread (2008), and moonlightdrive hasn't visited the forum in almost eleven years, so although they should receive notification of your post, you might like to send them a PM as a back-up.
    However, both the post-to-a-thread notification, and the PM service, rely on the email address held in our system still being in use. If moonlightdrive are no longer using that address, then I'm afraid we have no means of communicating with them.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Hello JOHNGILBERT,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

I don't know if you noticed the date of this thread (2008), and moonlightdrive hasn't visited the forum in almost eleven years, so although they should receive notification of your post, you might like to send them a PM as a back-up.
    However, both the post-to-a-thread notification, and the PM service, rely on the email address held in our system still being in use. If moonlightdrive are no longer using that address, then I'm afraid we have no means of communicating with them.

Pam
    Thanks Pam - you can't blame a bloke for trying.