Hanna

Smile Sanson /Sherriff East Lothian

Hi
    I am new on here. And searching for Ancestors from East Lothian area.
    Agnes Sanson B approx 1745 in Dunbar Married John Sherriff , They had a son Benjamin B approx 1783 in Innerwick who later went on to live in Norfolk.
    If these names are any of yours please get in touch. Also appealing for David and Spacot to please write.
    Other names related to above are Watts & Bishop

Thank you in Advance
    Hanna

Quote Originally Posted by Hanna View Post
    Hi
    I am new on here. And searching for Ancestors from East Lothian area.
    Agnes Sanson B approx 1745 in Dunbar Married John Sherriff , They had a son Benjamin B approx 1783 in Innerwick who later went on to live in Norfolk.
    If these names are any of yours please get in touch. Also appealing for David and Spacot to please write.
    Other names related to above are Watts & Bishop

Thank you in Advance
    Hanna

According to the extracted records entries in the IGI JS and AS also had 2 daughters called Isobel baptised - one in 1768 in Whitekirk and the other in 1776 in Spott.
    Then if you change the spelling to Samson, there's Mary, 1778, Innerwick.

There's always the chance that this was 2 couples, but the names are fairly unusual, and the combination is even more so. There's a marriage for them in 1767 in Dunbar, so that would fit.

They were obviously moving around (as many folk did back then) and the use of more spelling variations might turn up more kids (spelling of names was a fuzzy thing). Also, I was searching on both parents, and many Ministers only listed the name of the father. These entries all came from the IGI, so need to be checked against the original entries in the parish registers (see Scotlands People). It looks like at least 1 member of the previous generation was called Isobel - either the first one died and they reused the name, or both grandmothers were called Isobel - I've seen quite a few cases where both grandparents had the same forename, the name was used twice and then one child was either known by a middle name or a short form - in this case, Isobel and Belle, for example.

Lesley

Hanna

Thumbs up My family names

Hi Lesley
    Thank you for your help. Isabell and Mary seem to have been a common name through the generations. I did find some Sherriff's born in Spott but was not sure of the connection.
    Thanks again I will try what you suggested.

Hanna