Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Hi Robin. WOW.. a relative .. awesome ..ok well Owen mobbs was my great great great great grandfather ..THIS is what I know ... or believe ... his daughter Sarah Ellen Mobbs was was my G G G Grandmother .. she married William Baxter ... I am one of his direct decendants ... after William died she remarried and had two more children to a William Parker ... Owen Mobbs arrived in Australia with his parents and 4 other siblings aboard the Abberton Immigration ship on the 13/12/1846,Charles and Harriet had two more children in Australia, Owen had 12 children with Ellen Mary Mahoney ... is it this Owen you are referring too or one of his children ??? . I dont have Owen down as Lionel Owen ,,, but he could have been ... I know Owen had at least two children with the name Owen in them. Please feel free to message me as I would LOVE to swap info ... Regards Alan .

Hi Again Robin. I just realised you said Lionel Owen Mobbs was your Grandfather so that would make him one of Owen Mobbs descendants, a little further down the line. I have all the names of Owens children and most of the spouses and children. and some of their grandchildren. So which of Owens (son of Charles and Harriet) do you descend from or was it one of Charles's other children. There was
    Mary Ann
    Louisa
    Joseph
    Owen
    Lucy and
    Charles ... their son Owens children were
    Charles
    Daniel
    Alfred
    Arthur
    John
    Charles W
    Sarah ...my ancestor
    Joseph
    Martha
    Ernest
    Emmaline and
    Christina who died when she was 6 weeks old.
    Regards Alan.

The Northampton Mercury, 4 Sep 1886 has a brief report of a cricket match between MOBBS BROS' SHOE FACTORY v MOBBS AND LEWIS' Foundry

https://www.projectkettering.org.uk/p...img__109_.aspx
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

The Northants Evening Telegraph 28 July 1900
    "The Company of Mobbs and Lewis Ltd was registered on July 17th with a capital of £25,000 ...."

There were 7 subscribers including Harry W Mobbs who was also appointed one of the 3 Directors.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Hi Helachau. yes I have that match, apparently they run something similar in Kettering every year... I also have a photo of the Kettering players which has two Mobbs brothers in it ... unfortuanetly I dont think or cannot find any one matching thosde Mobbs even though somewhere along the line my ancestors would probably be related. BUT it appears from the date the company Mobbs Miller was registered my ancestors were already in Australia. So unless I could link Astil Mobbs to that Harry Mobbs and I have all Astil's children etc etc ..no names match though.

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    And the other half of the patent partnership
    Lawton House, London Road Kettering Northamptonshire
    Alfred Lewis 56 Widower Machinery & Lasts For Boot Trade, Employer, born Kettering
    Dorothy Evelyn May Field 19 Niece Kettering
    Edith Morris 20 servant Sellyoak (Birmingham)
    Christina
    Hi Christine. Thanks for all that info. It appears that the Mobbs Miller Company started well after my ancestors left England. I cannot link Harry Miller to any of those even though you would think in a country town the Mobbs would probably all be relatives in some form hey. It is like the town i was born in. If you go there every BAXTER in that town is related to me lol. and there are about 100 of them. But that info id very handy and I will keep searching for sons and brothers and sisters of Astil Mobbs. Astil was born in Findon. I dont know if that is close to Kettering but I think all the Mobbs would link up somewhere.
    Regards Alan

Settling in

Hi Alan
    Thanks - John George Mobbs m Elizabeth Esther Hughes and Lionel Owen was their son.
    Lionel Owen m Edith May Marguerite Fawcett- my mother was one of their daughters.

I am particularly interested to locate info re Ellen Mary MAHONEY's parents. They were John Patrick MAHONEY and Ann PEACOCK. JP Mahoney arrived in SA from Launceston on the Lady Emma in 1839 - but I am still seeking info re Ann's arrival in SA & her ancestory. I wonder whether JP Mahoney was the John Mahoney who was the seaman rescued after the Hibernian burnt at sea - and was then taken to Hobart??
    Thanks for any assistance - Regards, Robin

Hi Robin.
    Ok I have had trouble finding Ann’s parents as well. But I have some issues which don’t add up with Ann and John. According to my records, J P Mahoney arrived in Adelaide aboard the “Lady Emma” from Launceston on the 3/3/1839. He married Ann on the 3/6/1839 at Trinity in Adelaide, they had their first child Ellen Mary was born on the 3/10/1839. ?????? If John and Ann had of met the day he docked and she fell pregnant that day then the baby would still have been 7 months premy.. I cannot find an actual passenger list for the Lady Emma only that he was definitely on it. So it may be possible that Ann came out from England with him. And fell pregnant during the voyage ?? The only other Peacocks I have is 12 months earlier a John Peacock and Frances Cooper arrived in Adelaide on the “Duke of Roxburghe” on the 28/7/1838. But I cannot find an Ann as one of their children. BUT that dosent mean they didn’t have an Ann as I have searched the same website and found some children’s names missing from some of my other relatives.
    You can check that out here.
    Just type in the family name and Mahoney and peacock will come up.

https://www.familyhistorysa.info/colonists.html

Quite a few people with the name Peacock immigrated to Adelaide but all after 1840 according to my research.
    I just hate it when I can’t find an answer lol.
    Regards Alan.

Settling in

Thanks Alan
    Seems you have reached the same point as I have.
    I did find a passenger list with John Mahoney on it - but that's not necessarily John Patrick - likewise the seaman from the burning of the Hibernian.
    Dates aren't always accurate. John M is listed as a seaman based in Launceston prior to 1839. I plan to go into the SA State library as the pre-1840 Holy Trinity records are there - this may give further info.
    Its possible that Ann followed JP Mahoney to Adelaide - overland travel was an option from Vic - or she came on a coastal vessel not listed. I've found several wild cards: a Peacock operating local shipping around the Hawkesbury - and having an Ann Drill as a freed convict servant - maybe she took the Peacock name! I'll try to check out the library records & possibly genealogy at Unley soon. I don't have a lot of time at the moment. Hoping someone may have more info!
    Thanks - Robin

Awesome..
    I wished i lived closer to Adelaide at times like this, I am hoping to take a holiday next year and visit Truro and the surrounding area's like Kapunda and Angaston. Most of my early ancestors are buried there and started in that area. I would be ever so grateful if you could keep me informed it you find anything. I never thought of the convict side even though I have already discovered four convicts in my tree from my mothers side. I haven't found any yet from Dad's side of the tree
    regards Alan.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast