Thread: HMS Iolaire

Settling in.

Default HMS Iolaire

Can anyone tell me where the officers of the Iolaire were buried. Was it in Stornoway?

Thank you, C

Rubina

Wink

Hi Crofter

You have probably done this already but just in case - I googled HMS Iolaire and it came up with several options. The fourth from the top has some really interesting information about this that may help you with this.

Rubina

Jan1954

Crofter,

I have found a very graphic account of the sinking of the Iolaire that you may find of interest (c-e-n.org/iolaire.htm).

Having another google, I have discovered some graves at Crossbost, which is a village in North Lochs, south of Stornoway. Am sending you a PM.

Knowledgeable and helpful peter nicholl's Avatar
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

Settling in.

Thank you all for quick response,

Your link, Peter, was particularly helpful as it has a list of all an board when she sank, along with addresses and where buried.

Most efficient, I'm impressed,

Regards, C.

Default HMY Iolaire

I had never heard of this disaster until my recent stay on Lewis. It seems to be almost unknown nationally, which is strange as it is the worst accident involving a British ship in peacetime since the sinking of the Titanic.

A book by John MacLeod about the sinking of the Iolaire and its aftermath was published last year; here's a link:

http://www.
    amazon.co.uk/When-Heard-Bell-Loss-Iolaire/dp/184158858X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1286047940&sr=8-1
    Last edited by Jan1954; 02-10-2010 at 7:53 PM. Reason: Link to commercial website removed.