Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matney Wood

Mags S

Default Matney Wood

Can anyone help, I have an ancestor (John Pugsley) who on the 1851 census for Wootton Courtenay, Somerset has a birth (c.1767) place of Matney Wood, Devon - I have tried "googling" but cannot find any reference to this place - does this place exist or is there anywhere that could look like this in written format. Any suggestions appreicated.

Jan1954

Well, I have had a look but cannot make it out, either.

HO107; Piece: 1920; Folio: 234; Page: 14

Mutley

Nor me,
    It looks like Mating or Matney (if you look at Courtney just below). The blob on the Wood does not help either.

Nearest I can find is Marwood but I don't think so, or Martinhoe. It does not look like Martinhoe but could sound like it, if you did not know how to spell it.

Thomasin

Could you put an image of this bit of the census on here? Then those of us who still can't get the 1851 census can have a go.

Thomasin

DOB7

A John PUGSLEY married an Elizabeth HANDCOCK 10 April 1768 at Marwood, Devon - perhaps these were the parents of your John?

Jan1954

Don't ask how I managed to do this, as the Hertfordshire Technophobe has not the faintest idea.

Oh yes - it's the 5th line down....

v.wells

Marwood makes sense. The enumerators M's and W's are different almost every time!

Mutley

But it definitely has a 't'

My bet is still Mating Hoo (Martinhoe)

Although, seeing as I have only ever been to Devon twice in my life and do not really have a clue, maybe I should leave it for the locals.

Marie C..

I would have thought Martin hoo(Martinhoe) too however there are no early Pugsleys at Martinhoe whilst there are some at Marwood.Henrie/ Catherine/ Henry etc.M

Marie C..

ps.
    Wheras there are lots of Handcock/hancock baptisms in Marwood and one Elizabeth Handcock married John Pugsley there on 10 April 1768. MO51381 also Baptism of a Betty Handcock 19th May 1783 Marwood parents William and Elizabeth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast