Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    lindarhead

Well if you do come across anything that you need from any of the parish records I have just give me a shout..

Linda

Very quick off the mark.

Thanks, Linda, for that offer. I will come back to you.

Regards,

maggie

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default A bit of scandal in Little Plumstead

Hello I am new to the site and a novice.

I am researching an ancestor 'Ann Warren' who has no parent names on either her death or marriage certificates in Australia. Her death certificate says she was born in Plumstead and that her father was a mariner.

I'm wondering if perhaps this thoughtful Parish priest at Little Plumstead may have a baptism recorded for her.

How can I go about finding out?

I believe she was born between 1813-1817.

Robin

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums Robin
    If there isn't anyone who can help directly with your query (and I haven't searched as yet) the Norfolk Record office, here, may be able to help but it does sound a bit pricey. Still cheaper than a plane ticket even if they would let you out of the country now.

I have just done a quick search on familysearch.org - its free but you have to sign up - and there is a baptism for an Ann Warren 13 Feb 1816. Parents Nathan and Eunice but the place of baptism is Attleborough which is about 21 miles South West of Little Plumstead.

Cyndi's List is a good site which gives links, both free and pay per view, to genealogy sites for many countries. Click on Categories in the LH column and take it from there.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks so much Christina.
    I am now a member of familysearch.org.
    I have been avoiding signing into anything that involves giving bank account information.
    Norfolk Record Office are indeed pricey. Scotlands People site is much more reasonable. I'll check out Cyndi's List now.
    Good health to you in this crazy time.
    I was amazed how quickly you responded!

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

'
    Apart from her death certificate, do you have any other evidence which makes you estimate her birth to be circa 1813-1817?

As well as Little and Great Plumstead in Norfolk, there is also Plumstead in London. It's part of Greenwich, famous for it's Naval College. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plumstead

Ancestry have a baptism for an Ann Maria Warren at St Giles, Camberwell, on 26 May 1816, daughter of Richard and Ann; Richard's occupation, seaman. Camberwell's not exactly next door to Plumstead, but on the other hand it's not that far away.r
    Both Great and Little Plumstead's baptism registers have been transcribed to FreeREG, but no Ann. You can check for Ann in registers that have been transcribed so far for the county at https://www.freereg.org.uk/

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello Pam,
    It has been a journey finding Ann - in my research I had to eliminate all possibility of female convicts, and their children and free settlers.
    The witnesses on her marriage certificate were a young married couple aged 18 and 19 whose validation was easy to find. Sydney at that time had a vast array of people separated from family and people they knew. I assumed that Ann and her husband would be a similar age to the young couple witnessing their marriage.
    Then I came upon a book 'The Merchant's Women' by Liz Rushen that documented the immigration of 200 (mostly young) free women who had limited prospects in the UK who were keen to be sailed away to Australia in 1933 by the London Emmigration Committee.
    On board the 'Bussorah Merchant' was a 19 year old Ann Warren who had been a servant girl in London. She had no record of parents in the paperwork she afforded the committee so the author was unable to gain any more information from her research. Both Liz Rushen and I now believe that Ann is my ancestor. Of course, she may have not given her correct age, that's why I am giving a bit of leeway to the date.
    She was able to write her name on her marriage certificate.
    Her death certificate gives her the middle name Elizabeth.
    On familysearch.org I am in the process of looking at Anns who have no father listed as I feel she was probably put into either a orphanage or work house.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123