Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Occasionally, just very occasionally, needs an umbrella!

I have posted this before - but a long time ago; perhaps it deserves another airing ...!

Found in the (baptism) Parish register of Gwennap, Cornwall whilst looking for my ancestors:

"Mary, daughter of a whore secretly entertained by James Blake of this parish"

I was so intrigued I forgot to note the date! Who was the whore - and how did the person who completed the parish register know she had been secretly entertained - if it was a secret .....!!!
    Barbara

Life isn't waiting for the storm to pass - it is learning to dance in the rain

lindarhead

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Wilkinson View Post
    I have posted this before - but a long time ago; perhaps it deserves another airing ...!

Found in the (baptism) Parish register of Gwennap, Cornwall whilst looking for my ancestors:

"Mary, daughter of a whore secretly entertained by James Blake of this parish"

I was so intrigued I forgot to note the date! Who was the whore - and how did the person who completed the parish register know she had been secretly entertained - if it was a secret .....!!!
    Oh Barbara, that's a classic!...

Would you mind very much if I used it as an illustration of the information we can get from the Parish Registers? I've just started and Open Uni course about writing Family History,and I'm sure at some stage this would provide a brilliant talking point.

Linda

Occasionally, just very occasionally, needs an umbrella!

Not at all, Linda!
    Barbara

Life isn't waiting for the storm to pass - it is learning to dance in the rain

lindarhead

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Wilkinson View Post
    Not at all, Linda!
    Thanks Barbara, that's excellent!..

Linda

Geoffers

Quote Originally Posted by lindarhead
    Oh that did lighten my day, it's a brilliant post and did so make me smile
    Ah well, that makes my day worthwhile then.

We are blessed in Norfolk research with some interesting additions to parish registers that record more than the required information. I'd love to see how a family history programme would cope with some of the above entries.

Very quick off the mark.

Quote Originally Posted by lindarhead View Post
    I'm doing some transcribing work on Staffordshire Parish records, Eccleshall in particular, but I haven't come across anything like that.
    Linda
    That's a shame. I'm looking for some births & marriages in Eccleshall - a bit of scandal would have been nice. They've been a pretty boring bunch so far.

Regards,

maggie

lindarhead

Quote Originally Posted by margarita View Post
    That's a shame. I'm looking for some births & marriages in Eccleshall - a bit of scandal would have been nice. They've been a pretty boring bunch so far.

Regards,

maggie
    If you get stuck Maggie at the moment I'm doing the parish reg for 1654-1703.

I also have Gayton,Leigh and Brierley Hill too

Linda

John Nicholas

From Weston Zoyland, Somerset:
    24th September 1781 Susannah incestuous childe of Mary Beake. William Fisher her father in law reputed.

There are at least 2 more similar entries, so Mary and William obviously had a regular thing going. Quite what father in law means in this context, I'm struggling to see, as the surnames are different. Step-father in our terminology, perhaps?

John

R.Royal

And yet...when you think about the issue of Anna Maria Philo having a child by her husbands brother , in Biblical times, that would have been the thing to do..marry your dead brothers wife to keep the kids in the family, etc...lol...

I love the Strumpett listing. I am sure it was not pleasant for the strumpets themselves, but it seems rather quaint now.

Very quick off the mark.

Quote Originally Posted by lindarhead View Post
    If you get stuck Maggie at the moment I'm doing the parish reg for 1654-1703.
    Linda
    Thanks, Linda. That's a bit early for my lot. The earliest is a birth in 1831.

Regards,

maggie

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast