Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jennifer 150

Default Looking for first wife of John Power Clarke

My 2 X Gtgrandfather was John Power Clarke b 1810 Paris France only because his father was a Trumpeter with the 7th Hussars so presume they were in Paris for some war. His name was John Power Clarke as well and it seems they were from Dublin Ireland. They were both in the Royal Hibernian school at some point. My 2 X Gtgrandfather was married to Eliza Wyatt in 1859 Northampton but states he was a widower. His son Onslow Charles Henry Clarke was born 1852 in Scotland but can not find out who his mother was. John Power seems like he moved about a lot as he was a Bandmaster who stayed in this country and never went abroad. I have a few bits of information on him but nothing for his first wife. He died in 1888.
    Any help please
    jenny

Jan1954

Hello Jenny,

Well, Scottish BMD certification did not start until 1855, so that will not be a help in finding a birth certificate for Onslow, with him having been born in 1952. Hmm...

Have a read of the "stickies" that Lesley has posted at the top of the Scotland forum. You may get some clues there.

Meanwhile, have you found Onslow on an English Census at all, which could narrow down his place of birth? That might help with identifying which parish records to search.

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi

You could try looking for any Clark/e deaths in the Northampton reg district for a few years prior to his 1859 marriage. One of them could have been his previous wife.

Did he have any other children besides Onslow?

Ben

Lincoln Lad

Please correct me if I am wrong, but Bandmasters were usually associated with the military, my Greatgrandfather was described as Late Bandmaster on his sons marriage certificate, turns out he was from Ireland as well, and was previously a member of the Royal Irish Rifles. Does his second marriage certificate give any clues as to military service? If it does and you can get his military records, that will be a great bonus as they usally contain next of kin details.
    Last edited by Lincoln Lad; 29-11-2008 at 3:20 PM. Reason: Additional info added.

jennifer 150

Default Bandmaster Clarke

Thanks Jan and Benny, some things to look into.
    Lincoln lad yes he was military and i do have his military history but it only gives his second wife as next of kin, no info before that. On the marriage certificate it says Bandmaster 11th Hussars address at that time Aldershot Hampshire Oxendon Maqua

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi

I have looked on FreeBMD and the IGI for a possible first marriage but coundnt find any. He may have wed in Scotland.

Ben

radnor2

Default So was mine!

My GGGF was also described as a Bandmaster (Julius Heise) on my GGF's (Rudolph Gustav Paul Heise) marriage certificate. He was German and was living in Fulham in 1898 when they married and still there at the 1901 census. No idea what happened to him after that I have been trying for 2 years to find out something about him but to no avail.

jennifer 150

Default 1851 census and birth lookup

My Gt Grandfather was Onslow Charles Henry Clarke and all i know is he was born in Edinburgh in 1852
    His father was John Power Clarke who was a Bandmaster who travelled around a lot. Think Onslows mother died as John power married again in 1859 to Eliza Wyatt.
    Would very much like to know who his mother was.
    Think Scotland was just a place they stopped re his military time and that the wives travelled with them.
    Any help please
    jenny

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by jennifer 150 View Post
    My Gt Grandfather was Onslow Charles Henry Clarke and all i know is he was born in Edinburgh in 1852
    His father was John Power Clarke who was a Bandmaster who travelled around a lot.
    Army discharge papers for a John Power CLARKE born about 1827 in Paris, Bandmaster in the Scots Guards, can be downloaded from the paysite Find My Past. Could this be your man?

Mutley

I can see Onslow's marriage and also see him in 1891.
    Do you have him in previous census, 61, 71 or 81 with any older siblings.

He will not appear on the 1851 and John P. Clark/e as a husband/father is a very common name.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast