Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    JennyW

Default William wheeler in New Zealand

William wheeler we believe came to new Zealand in 1844 or 1845. We have not totally verified when as have not confirmed with passenger lists but he bought land in New Plymouth through the NZ Company scheme off plans in UK. He came with his wife Catherine Good from Aston Court Goods and his adult family Catherine Thomas John and Allan. His brother Edward also came to NZ but not sure when he arrived.

Of these Thomas and John married and has off spring. Catherine died single relatively young (from memory in her 20s but would have to check) and Allan never married and died in Sydney in his 40s

Thomas was the oldest but doesn't seem to played the role of the older son which seems tomhave been assumed by my gt grandfather johnn Thomas went off to the California gold rush and returned home nearly 10 years alter with an American wife, Annie. They had one daughter (this is Gilda's family line fron the Arlie's inquiry)

John wheeler was constantly at his fathers side and they settled various farms together and more or less worked as a family unit right through till Williams death (once again just relying on memory here but think that was 1868. I would have to check these dates). New Plymouth didn't work out although they helped build the historic stone church if St Mary's in New Plymouth and ther are a series of letters in National Archives in Wellington from both William and John seeking compensation because the NZ Company was unable to deliver on promises made

They relocated to Auckland and settled in and around there, taking part in the Land Wars which developed in the 1860s. (John and Allan. Thomas was in California by this time)

One skirmish was fought in John wheelers Titi Farm and is well recorded. John married Anna Mellsop in 1866 (he would have been 40, she was 30) She had been in NZ with her family from Ireland since 1855 and had been a nanny to CMS missionary John Morgan in the Waikato.

They had ten children of which my grandfather Thomas Ockold was one, obviously named after his uncle thomas edward ockold but spelt Ochold on the birth certificate. Of John and Anna's children several had families so there are quite a few direct descendants here in NZ still

Thomas O had six children of which my father Arthur Bevan Wheeler is one

We have a Mellsop reunion planned for March 2016 and we have a Facebook page titled Mellsop Reunion open to the public even if you are not on FB

We have over the years done various researches and can trace the family long way. Start to get lost in the late 1600s. Oral history transmitted suggests the family came to Englad with William the Conqueror don't know if you heard that part! We have a grat deal written down but not posted online. In the years before William left Worcs he seems to have been living at Shelsley Beauchamp and the baptism certificates (once again relying on memory) are all in Lindridge

I haven't checked the paper records so don't hold me to exact details! William Catherine Catherine John and Anna all buried at St Brides church in Mauku which is close to where Titi farm is

Sadly Anna died in her mid 40s leaving John with ten children ranging in age from 2 to 16. He only stayed on at Titi Farm for a couple more years before moving to another property my grandfather Thomas was nine years old when his mother died. I think it must have been very difficult obviously but they got through by a combination of help from Mellsop relations and the older girls caring for the younger ones

Do you find My Heritage a good site to do your tree through?

Kindest wishes Jenny Wheeler

JennyW

James I just posted a long reply but being new to this site it seems to have been posted in a new thread or something. Hopefully it will turn up! We are descended thru exactly the same line. I too go back to the Edward at The Moor. (always wondered what The Moor actually is/was) and if it is known where exactly it was

Jenny W

Lottie

I relied to a query and looked up Wheeler in Census Records. I do not have any connection to the name!
    Lottie

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello. I have recently discovered my Wheeler family connections, and this thread interests me as it is part of my family. Edward wheeler who married Sarah Crane are my 3X great grandparents. I live in New Plymouth, New Zealand and am keen to make contact with my family and share information. Although I dont have a lot of information I am happy to share what I have. I am strongly connected to the Good side also. Look forward to any replies

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12