Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gilda

Smile Wheeler family in Worcester

Am searching for more details on William Wheeler, m. Catherine Good at Knighton Upon Teme, Worcester on 1 June 1820. They are my gg grandparents and emigrated to New Zealand, in 1844, arriving in New Zealand on 25 March 1845. As far as I can make out they had four chn. Thomas Edward Ochold (my great-grandfather), Catherine, John and Allen. Would be grateful for any information at all.

Lottie

Exclamation Wheeler family in Worcester

Gilda

From the 1841 Census of Worcestershire

Piece 1202/1 Folio 21 Page 11

District of Lindridge Parish of Knighton upon Teme Village of Eardiston
    WHEELER William 25 Farmer Born in county
    Mary 25 Not born in County
    George 2 Born in County

hth
    Lottie

Gilda

Default Wheeler family in Worcester

Hello Lottie, Thank you for replying to my query re Wheeler family. I do not know if the people you notified me of are connected in any way but unfortunately, they could not be my gg grandparents, William and Catherine. who were married in 1820 and their 1st child Thomas Edward Ochold Wheeler, was born in 1821. They would have been much older than 25 in 1841 and as far as I know did not have a son called William. I also do not know if they were still in Worcester before they immigrated to NZ in 1845. However, William was a farmer in NZ. I have kept the info. you sent me as one never knows where connections can be made.

Many thanks for your reply.

Gilda

suemike

Hello Gilda, A friend just showed me your message on this site. Are you still working on this part of your tree? I can help you add several more generations as I've been researching this family of Wheelers for many years. I think you will find the name Ochold is actually Ockold. This was your 5th g grandmothers maiden name.
    Sue

mousetrap

Smile

Hi Suemike, I am also new on this site and have been doing my husbands family of WHEELER from Clent, would you by any chance have any info on any of these. Hopefully Joan
    Last edited by mousetrap; 20-10-2008 at 3:45 PM. Reason: didn't read right

Gilda

Smile Hi Joan

Quote Originally Posted by mousetrap View Post
    Hi Suemike, I am also new on this site and have been doing my husbands family of WHEELER from Clent, would you by any chance have any info on any of these. Hopefully Joan
    Hello Joan, Suemike has forwarded your message on to me as she was not able to access the site. I also have had trouble and just managed to do it - so sorry for the delay. Sue asked me to tell you that she did not have any Wheelers from Clent, but as she now tells me that Clent is only 10 miles from Worcester, and there are heaps of Wheelers in Worcester. It is possible that there may be a connection. My gggrandparents were Catherine and William Wheeler who were married in Kingston on Teme in 1820 and came to New Zealand in 1845. Part of the family had a drapery store in Worcester. Catherine was a Good and there is quite a long history of Wheelers and Goods intermarrying through the years. Catherine and William were actually first cousins. If you think your husband may be connected, please feel free to contact me by email at gildonATclearDOTnetDOTnz and we can hopefully establish or not whether there is a connection.

Jamesvwheeler

Thomas Edward Ockold Wheeler b 1821, m Annie Mcyntyre
    F. William Wheeler, b 1791, probably Newnham Court, Nr Tenbury Wells Worcs, m Catherine Goode
    GF John 1759-1826
    GM Elizabeth Spearman d. 1802
    GGF Edward 1734-1796
    GGM Sarah Crane
    GGGF Thomas 1704-1759
    GGGM Mary Ockold
    GX4 Edward 1667-1753, m Sarah Green
    Last edited by Jamesvwheeler; 15-08-2014 at 1:17 AM. Reason: Misspelling

Jamesvwheeler

Edward is my 8x Grandfather, he lived at The Moor, Lindridge, Worcs.
    His eldest son was also Edward (1701-58) who married Mary Green.
    Their only son Edward m Mary Wood and they had a son Vincent Wood Wheeler (1786-1853)
    Vincent seems to have taken over the Newnham estate, it has been a mystery to me how this happened, but I guess he must have bought it from his cousin/ your GGXF when he emigrated to NZ. Anyway it ended up quite a big estate of over 3000 acres and 200 houses.
    Vincent had a son Edward Vincent Wheeler who married Marianne Vashon.
    They had two sons and a daughter. My GReat grandfather James Volent Wheeler was the younger son

JennyW

James I am very interested in your comment.. I am William Wheeler's GX2 grand daughter - born in NZ
    I was interested in your comment about the estate, as I always wondered why William would have given up his life in UK to emigrate - very little known about the family situation at that time...
    Just interested if you have any other information or ideas of where to find the same...

Jamesvwheeler

Default Wheelers

I do not know why he left or how his cousin ended up with the Newnham estates. If anyone could shed any light would be very interested.
    I have more ancestors in this line including a will of Allen Wheeler dated 1700 leaving his estate to his son Francis.
    I would be interested to hear how William fared in NZ and what family he had there. My family tree is published on Myheritage.com
    James

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast