Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Famous for offering help & advice

Default People who cannot accept truth in skeletons.

Hi

Have any of you ever had people who cannot accept skeletons in family history at all? Ie, even if you have the most conclusive proof, ie a suicide inquest or death cert, affair scandal, murder, prisoner ancestor on a census, relatives and even other people cannot accept such truth and will make up anything to argue it. They come up with ridiculous refuting theories that are so illogical. They say "No it wasnt suicide, it was an accidnet" even with the newspaper reports in front to them. It has always been known for men to stray from their wives when they were dying or not even and some people say that certain illnesses increases sexual drive and cannot be used as an excuse to stray. People strayed from their wives especially if they were really ill. Terminal illnesses do NOT increase sexual drive. The sufferer would have felt like a zombie, be ridden with germs and feel very, very fatigued.

If you have an ancestor in prison for a crime which he was found guilty of someone will refute it by saying that they were stitched up or it is all lies.

I think certain peple cannot accept skeletons in family history and will argue even the most conclusive proof.

Ben

dawn/karen

oh yes benny i have that to look forward to presenting my evidence to my mother, she always told of a great grand dad coming from denmark and having to leave due to killing the kings deer, well since then i have found out so many thing about the family its laughable at!! oh and the man that we are talking about here came from kent, i didnt realise the king of denmark came from there too!!!

i have found out that my mums mum told lies to get married, had a baby that my mum doesnt have a clue exsisted, that my dads mum was up the duff before they got married, and although none of the latter isnt that shocking to us, to my mum and dad "being of higher morals" than the rest of us this is absolutely the sort of thing you disown people for!!! they did it to me, so hence why im looking forward to that day when i present this info, oh the man in kent got sent to the nick for 5 yrs and ordered to pay the equivalent of 2 1/2 yrs pay back then in 1850, i mean someone in her family going prison unheard of, i must have made a mistake as it cant possibly be her family now could it, i feel a touch of H Boquets here!!

Knowledgeable and helpful

I think that a sense of humour is needed sometimes, my Dad bless him couldnt accept his grandmother was pregnant when she married and had his Dad having discussed it once with him I decided not to mention it again only if i wanted to wide him up but did it in a very kind fashion.

A fountain of knowledge mary elms's Avatar

Sometimes we have to remember that this is our hobby and not theirs. If they asked us to find out then that's one thing (and very frustrating as I know from experience) but sometimes we get so excited that we start pushing information at people who didn't ask for it and don't want it ... and we're upset or annoyed when they reject it.

My father was quite clear about what he wanted me to look into and what he didn't want me to look into and it would have been quite wrong of me to tell him about anything in the latter area even if it was really interesting.

Mary.

Knowledgeable and helpful

I agree I would not hurt anybodies feelings over our hobby, on the other hand we sometimes get told things that we dont like to hear. my aunt once told me that my grandfather had hit my grandmother it upset me as my mom always spoke with great respect and affection for her parents. When I asked my mom about it she said not to worry and to take no notice of it she had never heard of it herself. Bless my aunt she did like to gossip

Hi

Even fellow genealogists cant accept truth. Tough luck for them. Things happened that others dont like. My gggran was the result of an affair her parents were having when his wife was dying of a nasty illness in 1863. Luckily for the mother his wife died just before the babys birth so she could be with the father. That is the truth and it is totally watertight and unsinkable but some people cannot accept things like that even with all the proof given and they contradict it and it can really be annoying.

Skeletons in the cupboard can solve mysteries and brickwalls.

Ben

v.wells

Skeletons can be fun to rattle once in a while too

Hi

Yes they can. I am sure that we all have a black sheep or scandal in our family trees.

Ben

I want a black sheep, I would love a black sheep. One with a criminal record so I can have a physical description of them please. I have a few grubby gray sheep but not one single black one. The best I can do is a murder victim.
    My husband has illegitimate children popping up in every generation but my lot - oh there is a Jewish girl marying a Roman Catholic and she was an actress - see just a bit gray.
    Sadly, our dear friend Ann (alias Ladkyis) passed away on Thursday, 26th. December, 2019.
    Footprints on the sands of time

Tom Harrison

Default How is this for a skeleton

Judy Wallman, a professional genealogical researcher, discovered that
    Hillary Clinton's great-great uncle, Remus Rodham, was hanged for
    horse stealing and train robbery in Montana in 1889.
    The only known photograph of Remus shows him standing on the gallows.
    On the back of the picture is this inscription: 'Remus Rodham; horse
    thief, sent to Montana Territorial Prison 1883, escaped 1887, robbed
    the Montana Flyer six times. Caught by Pinkerton detectives, convicted, and hanged in 1889.'

Judy e-mailed Hillary Clinton for comments. Hillary's staff sent back
    the following biographical sketch:
    'Remus Rodham was a famous cowboy in the Montana Territory . His
    business empire grew to include acquisition of valuable equestrian
    assets and intimate dealings with the Montana railroad. Beginning in
    1883, he devoted several years of his life to service at a government
    facility, finally taking leave in 1887 to resume his dealings with the
    railroad. Subsequently, he was a key player in a vital investigation
    run by the renowned Pinkerton Detective Agency. In 1889, Remus passed
    away during an important civic function held in his honor, when the
    platform on which he was standing collapsed.'

Tom