Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dora Marie

Red face Searching for Wm. Whitworth

Wm. Whitworth born abt. 1974, and from Lancashire, England, brought his family to Montreal, Canada, sometime between 1912-14. I would like to find out the date was and on what ship he and his family crossed the seas.

Rubina

Wink

Hi Dora Marie!

Sorry can't help with your current query but others, I am sure, will be able to point you in the right direction.

I think you probably meant 1874 rather that 1974! I can't tell you how many times I have done the same!

If you need any help in looking up UK census please let us know!

Happy Hunting!

Rubina

Procat

Hi Dora,

Can you supply the names of the family members who went with him please.

Shipping records on findmypast record 4 possibilities none of which exactly match your information:

Whitworth W C Adult Adult 1903 to Montreal

Whitworth Wm 1908 to Saint John NB

Whitworth Wm B1876 1912 to Quebec

Whitworth Wm H B1872 1902 to Montreal

I have also moved your thread to Canada Genealogy forum.

Jfremont

I found a William Whitworth who sailed on the Lake Champlain alone on 20 September 1912 from Liverpool arriving Montreal October 1, 1912, age 36, railwayman. If family went, they may have gone later. Post their names and I will have a look. I didn't check archives canada website but you should be able to view the image on it here
    https://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/d...5-100.01-e.php

John

Dora Marie

Red face Whitworth, William

Hi Doug:
    Thanks for your prompt reply.
    And yes, Rubina, it s/b 1873
    Wm. Whitworth's family (living in Rochdale, Lancashire in 1901, consisted of his wife, Jessica (found spelled Jessimon which is incorrect) Walker, born in Derby, Derbyshire, 1875; son James, age 1 month; Wm. Whitworth's stepchild, Catherine Done, 2 years; Winnifred, 1910; Emund, no date; Joseph, no date
    William Whitworth is the son of Thomas Place Whitworth (circa 1840) and Grace Habbeshaw, (1839-1912) also from Rochdale, Lancashire.
    Hope this helps.
    Thanks. Regards, Dora Marie

Procat

Hi Dora Marie,

Unfortunately I still cannot pick them up. I do know that there are omissions on the index.

By the way, to reply to a previous posting all you need to do is click on the button "Post Reply" below the last post in the thread. If you want to include a quote from a previous post just click on the "Quote" button below that post.

greann

Hello,
    It looks like Jessie Whitworth crossed to Montreal, Quebec on Oct 30, 1912 from Middlesborough, England. She was on the ship Hurona. Reason was to join husband. Her children were not with her at the time.
    Not sure if you have this information or not, but William joined the CEF.
    He was attested on July 19, 1916 Montreal. Service #52684
    Also their son James William was attested on July 13, 1917 CEF Montreal
    service #527133. Both servived the war.
    Hope this helps a bit.
    Ann

Jfremont

The children followed on the Teutonic which left Liverpool 17 June 1913 and arrived Quebec 24 June 1913. The record states they were joining Father and mother. Katherine who must be the adopted child age 14 is classed an adult. In addition there is John W. 11, Joseph 9, Edwd. 7, and what looks like to be Wm. 4 (shown as a male). Their destination is not shown other than they are going to travel on the C.P.R.

You might find the list on the website I gave on reply 4 above. There is no index so you have to scroll through the images. On the actual list it is page 17 where they appear.

John

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Dora Marie View Post
    Wm. Whitworth born abt. 1974, and from Lancashire, England, brought his family to Montreal, Canada, sometime between 1912-14. I would like to find out the date was and on what ship he and his family crossed the seas.
    I just found this thread doing research on my family. I am William Whitworth's great granddaughter. My grand father was James William Whitworth born March 19, 1901. His attesation papers list his birth year as 1899 which is incorrect. He lied so he could serve. He had just turned 16.
    William, born January 12, 1873, and his wife Marie (Jessie) Walker, born 1875 were married in 1900. There daughter Catherin Done was born in 1899 but I don't know the circumstances. We were told that she was my Grandfather's stepsister so it is likely that Jessie was a widow. They then had my grandfather James in 1901, Joseph in 1902, Edmund in 1904 and Winnifred in 1910. All born in Rochdale. The story my grandfather told my mother was that the parents went ahead, left the children with her sister and would send for them when they were settled. Jessie's sister felt she could handle the girls but not 3 Young boys so she placed them in an orphanage unbeknownst to their mother. When Jessie
    found out she sent for the children right away and never forgave her sister. Grandpa did not speak much about his experience in the orphanage, only that it was harsh and cruel. They had to wake early to do chores like cleaning window and scrubbing floors before breakfast. The boys would cry at night and he said he would comfort them because he was one of the older boys. He was 10 years old.
    The family settled in Montreal. I was told that they had more children but I don't have any information on any others so I can't be sure. My mother did not know her grandparents William and Jessie or her Aunts and uncles well at all.
    I hope this reaches someone. I would like to know more about this branch of my family tree.
    Jill

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums Jill
    Unfortunately the original poster on this thread and those who replied are no longer members of the forum and we do not have any way of contacting them. It is a shame because you do seem to have a great deal of information.
    I am sure that some of members, being unable to resist a mystery will read your post and start searching.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast