Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    rangerc

Default Suggestions needed about this phrase

Hi all

I'm transcribing Aberdeen Parish Registers 1735+. I've come across this phrase on a few occasions. Can you explain what it means, please?

..... Baptised by Mr George Bartlet Minister at foot Dec ...

Sometimes it's written ... at foot of Dec ...

What does this phrase mean?

Thanks
    Colleen

v.wells

The latter part of December?

Knowledgeable and helpful

Hello Colleen

Is it not Foot Dee as in the place in Aberdeen ?

Footdee is an area of Aberdeen, Scotland known locally as "Fittie". It is an old fishing village at the east end of the harbour. The name is actually folk ... Google it and see what you come up with

Tracey
    Chasing Caseys

rangerc

Smile at foot of de*

Thank you both for your suggestions. The place name 'Foot Dee' would seem to fit nicely as the abode for the Minister and/or witness.
    Thanks for your time.
    Colleen

Kirk Dawson

Default Transcription Questions

Use this thread for questions on how to transcribe

katerimmer

Default Names of extra witnesses on marriages

Sorry if this has already been answered somewhere before - I'm new to FreeREG transcribing.

I am doing marriages at the moment, and have come across a few entries with more than two witnesses, in which case I have just been putting the extra names into the "Notes" field. But I'm just wondering about one I have found where witness number 2 is a "serial witness" but witness number 3 isn't. Would it be o.k. if I swap their names over so that witness number 3 would come up on a name search, do you think?

Kirk Dawson

Quote Originally Posted by katerimmer View Post
    Sorry if this has already been answered somewhere before - I'm new to FreeREG transcribing.

I am doing marriages at the moment, and have come across a few entries with more than two witnesses, in which case I have just been putting the extra names into the "Notes" field. But I'm just wondering about one I have found where witness number 2 is a "serial witness" but witness number 3 isn't. Would it be o.k. if I swap their names over so that witness number 3 would come up on a name search, do you think?
    Kate

One often finds the "professional" witness; often a member of the church or local gentry.
    It is better in this case that the non professional witness be entered as the second witness.
    There is another option when you have 3 or more real witnesses and that is to duplicate the entry but with the other witnesses placed in the witness fields. That makes them searchable. If you do that please add a note that record is a duplicate but with different witnesses.
    Kirk Dawson
    FreeREG

katerimmer

Thanks, Kirk.

DaveinInskip

Default csv and works.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Dawson View Post
    Use this thread for questions on how to transcribe
    Hi Kirk,can you help me with a question about saving or backing up my ongoing file.
    I am entering data with sponsors names in the notes field,using " at begining and end of sentence.When finishing I go to Backup and select my file which I assume is saved as a csv file. When I wish to continue I restore my file using the Msoft Word programme and find that all the " have dissappeared.
    I am using FreeGen for Vista.

Can i assume that the file which is saved as csv will be the one which eventually is sent to FreeGen,and that I don't have to keep re-inputing the " "

Hope to hear from you soon,
    Dave in Inskip

Kirk Dawson

Quote Originally Posted by DaveinInskip View Post
    Hi Kirk,can you help me with a question about saving or backing up my ongoing file.
    I am entering data with sponsors names in the notes field,using " at begining and end of sentence.When finishing I go to Backup and select my file which I assume is saved as a csv file. When I wish to continue I restore my file using the Msoft Word programme and find that all the " have dissappeared.
    I am using FreeGen for Vista.

Can i assume that the file which is saved as csv will be the one which eventually is sent to FreeGen,and that I don't have to keep re-inputing the " "

Hope to hear from you soon,
    Dave in Inskip
    Dave

Sorry for the delay up to my knees in snow and trying to kep the driveway cleared.
    I am a little confused by your question. I assume you mean you are using WinREG. Could I ask which version? Go to the Help on the task bar and select the About WinREG option. It will give you a version number.

WinREG creates a CSV file which is uploaded to FreeREG.

Placing "" around a field is only requited if you are entering a , in the field. Now WinREG1 will not let you enter a , in any field and WinREG does the ''" for you id needed hence my question on which version you are using.

Also WinREG1 automatically saves the file, WinREG you have to save the file.

Contact me offline for more help
    [email protected]

Kirk

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast