Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Jo Simpsons

Oh really Kirk, I didn't know that. I shall have to study more closely in future. Thanks for correcting me.
    Jo

louiser

Default Alias's

Just started transcribing onto winreg. Just wondered how we entered alias's? eg Richard Jacob alias Begins. any help would be appreciated.

jespa

Default re alias's

I Enter twice, once under each name and then an entry in notes.

Notes: JACOB alias BEGINS
    BEGINS alias JACOB

Kirk Dawson

Quote Originally Posted by louiser View Post
    Just started transcribing onto winreg. Just wondered how we entered alias's? eg Richard Jacob alias Begins. any help would be appreciated.
    This and many other questions are answered on the Transcriber questions page at https://www.freereg.org.uk/howto/taq.htm

louiser

many thank u's.

have a great one where blah blah alias blah married blah blah alias blah. guess this will be 4 records!

jespa

Louiser, not all alias have to be entered. Now that freeREG has soundex I find that I only have to enter some once with an entry in notes for the others and soundex does the rest.
    Just remember soundex isn’t foolproof and if in doubt enter twice or however many times you need.

Grandadron

Default Missing Years

I am entering data for marriages from phillimores. The parish that i am doing has several entries where the year is shown as a blank. In most cases there are several years between entries. How do i enter the event?
    On a previous parish when the last digit was blank ie 156? i entered * but it came up as an error when i tried to upload to the server.

Any help appreciated

Ron

ProspectHill

Question Dates transcriptions

Hi.

I am re-formatting a list of marriages for FreeREG. They are in chronological order. Sometimes the date was not readable (to the original transcriber, not me). If the dates of 3 marriages go ... "31 May 1678, ? ? 1678, 3 July 1678", can I put June as the month of the second marriage? You know, months make a big difference! Or is there a uncertain but likely notation? Or do I put "betw. 31 May and 3 July?" in the Notes column?

Thanks a lot,
    Ellen
    Last edited by ProspectHill; 18-04-2008 at 10:20 AM. Reason: misspelling

Answered direct

Dave

Guy Etchells

I note Dave answered privately but it may be of interest to others.

Parish Registers are transcripts of entries of day books or notebooks. That being the case every entry is not guaranteed to be in chronological order.

When transcribing an entry whether for personal use or otherwise copy verbatim, anything else is simply a guess and possibly misleading.
    This includes expanding abbreviations such as Eliza to Elizabeth etc., etc.
    Cheers
    Guy

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast