Ken Berry

Default Thomas LUNT, Gores 1911

Hi All,I am trying to find something about my paternal great grandfather.
    Thomas Lunt.In the 1911 Gores it appears he may have been working for W.Knightley Victualler 33-35,Berry Street,Liverpool.He could have been a Licensee or Publican on the Dock Road Liverpool or there abouts.As my maternal g/grandfather was a Carter.Some times when I was on the Cart at the docks we would go past a pub and say thats your rich relations,but they don't speak to the likes of us.It was 1938-39 and possibly they could have had the Pub previously.Any help would be appreciated or pointers in any direction.Thanks A Lot Best Regards Ken B
    Last edited by ChristineR; 27-07-2009 at 5:39 AM. Reason: make surname clear

Ken Berry

Default Thomas Lunt,was he a publican

Hi all,Thomas Lunt was My G/father,he was working for someone named Knightley at 32 - 34 Berry Street in Liverpool.Was he a Victualler or owned a pub later.Time span I have no idea except maybe 1900 1930's
    Also a Lady Named Cecellia Dowell,Cecellia Buck or Cecellia Reynolds also Liverpool 1920 - 1935.Any help or pointers in another direction would be appreciated.Best Regards Ken Berry

Brick wall demolition expert! ChristineR's Avatar

Moderator's note.
    Your post has been merged with a previous post of the same subject in the same forum.
    ChristineR

NewburyChap

As we are talking about a major port like Liverpool it must be a possibility that Knightley was actually victualler (selling supplies to ships) rather than a licensed victualler (publican) - not that there was a shortage of pubs.

You could probably find out more by checking a few more trade directories, by this date it should be possible to find one that gives the name of the pub or other clarification of the business.

Or you could have a look in the 1911 census - there is one William Knightly in West Derby, Liverpool.

For his later career, perhaps at the pub in Dock Road, then directories will still be a great source. If you can get to the relevant record office or library there will be plenty of other sources (electoral rolls, licensing registers etc).

Ken Berry

Hi ChristineR & Newbury Chap,
    Thank You for your directions hoping my sister in the UK is going to look up the Directories for Me.Your help is Much Appreciated Best Regards Ken B