lindarhead

Default Surname: LaBouchardiere

I am looking for details for a Florence LaBouchardiere.This is her married name, she is of anglo-indian descent,and came to England from India. It is believed that her husband was of French origin,however I do not have his given name. She came to England in 1956 on the ship Arcadia with her youngest daughter Celine and a Dennis LaBouchardiere, this was not her husband,I'm thinking maybe it was her brother in law. It is generally understood that her husband did not come to the UK with her, but it is not known whether he was deceased or whether he simply stayed in India. The address they were coming to as given on the passenger list is RAF Faldingworth in Lincoln. Florence and Celine later lived in Market Drayton,Shropshire with her other children who were older than Celine,they, however, did not travel with Florence but they did come to England at some stage;her son George served in the RAF at Tern Hill,Shropshire. Any hints on how I can trace Florence's marriage or birth records would be appreciated. I have contacted the India Office but as yet have had no results.

Regards, Linda

Incoming passenger lists to the UK from 1878-1960 are now on Ancestry. I think you might have to have a worldwide subscription to view the actual images but I have this, and have seen the listing for Florence (born 23 April 1908) and Celine (born 26 March 1944) The address said AMQ RAF Faldingworth. Does that stand for something Married Quarters?

There are quite a few other LaBouchardieres listed on the index of the incoming passenger lists. One that might be of interest, given the Lincolnshire connection, is a family arriving on the Empire Regent on 8 April 1945, UK address given as c/o T.R.Pert Esq, Heathlands, Sleaford, Lincs.
    They embarked in Bombay
    C.E. Labouchardiere 43
    C.A aged 12
    S.E aged 9

If you know the names of Florence's other children I can try to see when they arrived in the UK

I looked at overseas marriages on Findmypast but the only LaBouchardiere marriages I could find in the right sort of time frame looked to me to be females.
    Eulalie Labouchardiere married Evans 1930 Bangalore
    Thelma Labouchardiere married Stephenson 1936 (bad image, looks like Surrey but presumably somewhere abroad)

If you go to the IGI and enter just the surname LaBouchardiere and put Asia as the Region, it brings up quite a few in India. Perhaps a name will jump out at you.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

lindarhead

Hi, Sue, thanks for that I'll take a look on the IGI. In answer to your question AMQ stands for Airmens Married Quarters, I know this as my son is in the RAF.. He's SATCO based at Raf Scampton in Lincoln( home of the Red Arrows) so was able to find out for me that RAF Faldingworth where they were headed in 1956 was being used as repatriation centre for French,Polish and British subjects leaving the countries they lived in.

Florence as I said had other children these were, Marie, 1925-93( died in Market Drayton Shrophire, married to Joseph Kenneth Everett, they came to England in 1963 with their son Glen Joseph, although have been unable to find records of this), there were also sons Douglas, George and Leslie but I do not have their DOB, howver looking at the dates I do have I'd say that Marie was the eldest child born as she was in 1925, and that Celine was the youngest born in 1944. Florence herself was born in 1908 and died in 1983 in Market Drayton. Her travelling companion Dennis Labouchardiere was born in 1899 but it is not known where he fits into this as we do know he's not her husband.
    That's about all I have, so anything else you can come up with would be great...

Many thanks, Linda

Famous for offering help & advice

Pondicherry and surrounding region was a french colony, and French was the official language until 1954. I would imagine the births and marriages of french nationals would be held in french archives..... somewhere

Marie Blanche Everett was born 14 June 1925 according to her death registration July 1994 North Shropshire. Florence must have been a child bride!
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

pottoka

Smile Archives in Pondichéry

Archives de l’ancienne administration coloniale française de Pondichéry (1577-1954)
    "The Archives of the old French colonial administration are kept in the Record Centre in Pondichéry, regional office of the National Archives of India.

The collection (..) is made up of about 150,000 historic documents, bound volumes, printed publications, manuscripts on palm leaves, microfilms, etc .. These archives concern subjects as diverse as the administrative policy of the Compagnie française des Indes orientales, the diplomatic correspondence between the British Governors or the local Princes, the colonial policy of the French government, the setting up of French law courts in India, the memoirs of french generals such as Dupleix or Bussy, questions relative to temples, mosques, the birth and death registers, the reports on the activity of Indian revolutionaries in Europe, on the national movement in India .."

This gives an address and a fax number for the Record Office in Pondichéry: https://www.overseasindian.in/2007/de...2-183237.shtml

This is for the national Archives of India: https://nationalarchives.gov.in/contactus.html#

lindarhead

Quote Originally Posted by pottoka View Post
    Archives de l’ancienne administration coloniale française de Pondichéry (1577-1954)
    "The Archives of the old French colonial administration are kept in the Record Centre in Pondichéry, regional office of the National Archives of India.

The collection (..) is made up of about 150,000 historic documents, bound volumes, printed publications, manuscripts on palm leaves, microfilms, etc .. These archives concern subjects as diverse as the administrative policy of the Compagnie française des Indes orientales, the diplomatic correspondence between the British Governors or the local Princes, the colonial policy of the French government, the setting up of French law courts in India, the memoirs of french generals such as Dupleix or Bussy, questions relative to temples, mosques, the birth and death registers, the reports on the activity of Indian revolutionaries in Europe, on the national movement in India .."

This gives an address and a fax number for the Record Office in Pondichéry: https://www.overseasindian.in/2007/de...2-183237.shtml

This is for the national Archives of India: https://nationalarchives.gov.in/contactus.html#
    Thanks for that, Pottaka, it will be a great help.

Linda

lindarhead

Quote Originally Posted by lindarhead View Post
    Thanks for that, Pottaka, it will be a great help.

Linda
    Yes, Sue, a child bride indeed!!.. As you so rightly say she died in 1994, but the circumstances of her death were tragic.She died in the dentist's chair, and he was charged with manslaughter as he gave her 18 times the amount of anaesthetic he should have done!

Marie is my great great grandma I visited her grave with my grandad glen a few years before his passing,this is alotof new information for me I was wondering why there is no information on Glens other siblings and Iv never heard of Celine and Dennis I’d love to hear more about my family

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum, Rubiehendrie. Unfortunately this is a very old thread, and the original poster is no longer a member(shown by “guest” under their name). Hopefully, others will be able to help.