Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    A fountain of knowledge

Default crombie of eyemouth

hi all.

my grandmother georgina crombie was born in eyemouth scotland 12-8-1902

her mother was Williamina crombie b.1882 (child of the sea)

i have a copy of the register of births cert dated 15th march 1963 ,I suspect a requested copy, but it does not show the father .

how can i find out ?

dean
    Last edited by Sue Mackay; 19-11-2008 at 6:37 PM. Reason: Correcting info

elaine webb

Hi Dean,

Is there any middle name for your Grandmother? This is often a clue as to the real father.

You could try searching the bastardy bonds to see if the mother made a claim against the real father. I went through the Archives and they found the Court papers with my Grt/Gfathers real father listed on there.

Good luck

Elaine

Jayne

Your confusing me Dean. Grandmother 1902, Gr. Grandmother 1982! and a birth certificate for 1963?

Jayne

A fountain of knowledge

sorry - grandmother 1902 - gr grandmother 1882 , and yes the cert has a date at the bottom 1963 ,i would assume a requested copy.

dean

A fountain of knowledge

thanks elaine , i had not heard of these records - on the case now , her middle name was after her mother - georgina ' williamina' crombie but she rarely used it .
    however as you can probably tell williamina was named after her dad william crombie (drowned at sea 1881 -eyemouth disaster ) so perhaps georgina's dad was george .........?

dean

A fountain of knowledge

Default crombie of eyemouth

hi all.
    sorry put in the wrong dates on the first attempt .

i have a copy of the register of births cert dated 15th march 1963 ,i suspect a requested copy ,but it does not show the father .

how can i find out ?

dean

elaine webb

Hi Dean,

Yes that sounds plausible about the name Williamena, you could be on the right track!

Good luck and hope you have some success like me, I was thrilled when I found out the real father.

Elaine.

Quote Originally Posted by dean coles View Post
    hi all.

i have a copy of the register of births cert dated 15th march 1963 ,i suspect a requested copy ,but it does not show the father .

how can i find out ?

dean
    Dean I have merged your second thread with this one, as it already had replies, and also corrected the date in your first posting. Can you also cofirm that Georgina Crombie was born on the 12th August? Our American friends would read the date as the 8th December, so it is aleways wise to write the month in words.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Quote Originally Posted by dean coles View Post
    hi all.

how can i find out ?

dean

If her mother was Mrs Crombie, her maiden name would also be given on the birth cert, and so would the father's name and the date of the parents wedding. I think that we have to asume that she was Miss Crombie. I'm not sure what you mean by (child of the sea).
    A possible way to find out who the father was would be to see if you can find the Kirk Session Minutes for Eyemouth. The Church of Scotland had a habit of summoning unmarried ladies with expanding waistlines, and making them name names. These are generally (where they survive) in the National Archives for Scotland (if you look in the general Scottish forum, there's a sticky message on using NAS). The father may be named in the baptism register, but they're not so easy to find once BMD certificates started.
    The last chance I can think of is to find her marriage cert (look on Scotlands People - another sticky in Scot Gen). Unless the father actually went along to register the birth, the mother was not allowed to name him on the birth registration. However, the child often knew who he was, and would name him on their marriage cert. The down side is that sometimes people made up a father's name for their marriage cert rather than admit they didn't know.

Lesley

OK, I have had a quick look on Scotlandspeople, as I had a couple of spare credits, and Georgina was born illegitimate, as you say, on 12th August 1902 to Williamina Crombie, a fishworker. The address was Gillies Wynd, Eyemouth.

This lets you pinpoint Williamina on the 1901 Berwickshire census
    Parish: Eyemouth; ED: 3; Page: 11

Margaret CROMBIE Widow 60 b. Eyemouth
    James CROMBIE Son 28 Fisherman b. Eyemouth
    Maggie CROMBIE Dau 23 Fishworker b. Eyemouth
    Williamina CROMBIE Dau 19 Fishworker b. Eyemouth
    William CROMBIE Grandson 17 Blacksmith's apprentice b. Eyemouth
    George CROMBIE Grandson 6 Scholar b. Eyemouth

Now they have the Scottish census returns (without the actual images) on Ancestry so it would be relatively easy to trace Williamina's family, but I suspect you have already done this. There is sadly no easy way to find out who the father of her child was, unless he was named in a baptism or a vestry minute from the Kirk Sessions. Have a look at information on Eyemouth records at https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/sct/BEW...uth/index.html
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast