dave_dyke

Default Adoption 1904-1907?

Hi Listers,
    Seeking information, direction and or advice on how to seek out my Mother in Law who was born in 1904, died 1966 but came to Canada in 1907 with another family.
    Her immigration and marriage records indicate "adoption".
    Hilda May ?????, was born in Brighton, East Preston, October 1904.
    I have compiled a list of Hilda May's ????, born around that time in Sussex and basically I have to wait for the 1911 census to come out. However, if anyone has a suggestion, would like to hear from you.
    Always appreciate the help
    Thanks
    Dave.....sunny BC Canada

Mutley

A Hilda May Foster was registered in the September quarter of 1904
    as born in East Preston. 2b/337
    and in December in Brighton a Hilda May Novis 2b/217

but if she went to Canada in 1907 please can you explain what you are hoping to see in the 1911 census if one of the above was your lady?

dave_dyke

Default Hilda May ???

Thanks for your reply and sorry to have confused you....it's a matter of eliminating the unknown
    I know that Hilda May Novis married in England, as I have her Birth Certificate.....Hilda May Foster, according to records, show her as being married in 1925 East Preston.
    I have several other Hilda Mays, so when the 1911 census comes out, if it show them still in England then I know they are not my Hilda May!
    What I was hoping for was an avenue to investigate her "adoption/foster".
    So, if everything the family has told me, that her real name is Hilda May ****
    and was born in East Preston SSX in 1904 Oct. then surely there should be some records some where that would confirm her birth, then I could find her parents and then my wife would have some idea as to why she came to Canada without her biological parents...mysteries.....
    There's no records available of adoptions as they didn't start recording until 1927.
    Hope I didn't bore you......and I appreciate your help
    Thanks again
    Dave....BC

Reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dave_dyke View Post
    So, if everything the family has told me, that her real name is Hilda May ****
    and was born in East Preston SSX in 1904 Oct.
    Perhaps you had better ask the family what their source of information is.

Mutley

OK, I understand now,
    It could not have been Hilda May Novis or Foster because they married in the UK after 1907. You will be looking the 1911 census to find any 7 year old Hilda May **** to knock off your list.

I cannot think of any other way either. Just out of curiosity, how long is your list?

dave_dyke

Default Hilda May***

Thanks for replying......
    I presently have 18 Hilda May's *** born between 1903 and 1905, mostley born around the Sussex area. Some I have crossed off as I've found they had married in the 1920's or had died.
    The information that was pasted on might very well not be the truth.....Hilda was told later on in her life that her birthday was not correct and also a number of other bits of information.....I suppose the old adage is....garbage in, garbage out! , remembering that she had no recollection of her child years and everything that she was told was by her foster mother......
    Dave

Mutley

I have the opposite problem to yours. A birth certificate for a child that was (family storytale) given to a money lender, in payment of a debt.

I have no idea who he became.

So, I have the beginning and you have an ending, I doubt whether the twain shall ever meet.

Good luck with yours.

Spangle

If your lady went to Canada as a child, could she have done so as part of the British Home Children scheme? It seems that this is what happened with a brother to my G Grandfather - he went to Manitoba in the 1880s. I believe the scheme was still running in the early 1900s.

I dunno, but... just an idea

dave_dyke

Angry Hilda May ****

HI...
    Thanks for the push, however my Hilda May came over with an "Adopted Family" and it wasn't until later in her life (30 years Old) that she was told she was "Adopted" although adoption didn't come about until 1927.
    I've been sifting through all the Hilda May's born in East Preston/Brighton area between 1903 and 1905....slowly getting them down
    Thanks for your thought
    Cheers
    Dave